• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

85 Ranger getting some teeth...

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I become more and more jealous every time i come back to this thread :wub:. Keep up the good work :icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I become more and more jealous every time i come back to this thread :wub:. Keep up the good work :icon_thumby:
Just for you then...

It runs and drives! I am so excited I don't hardly know what to do. :yahoo:

I didn't have the vacuum line hooked up to the tranny (with the stock crossmember it seems you need something like spark plug wire pliers to get it to plug in, and I couldn't find any) but it ran and drove great. I went halfway around the shop and parked it infront of the door to check the fan operation, it was operatin' but was going backwards (apparently red doesn't always mean hot, gotta recheck my directions to see if I can rip on anyone but myself) Then I cranked 'er up with my camera rolling (now that I knew it would do something :icon_thumby:) and did a small loop in the driveway and pulled it back in.

As soon as I figure out how to post a video I will, I have been on here for 9 years and have never posted a video...

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
:icon_idea: You'll be like a kid on christmas morning tomorrow when you wake up :D:icon_thumby::icon_cheers:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

It wasn't nearly that dark out, my little camera wasn't intended to be much of a video camera.

BTW, pullers are wired red to red and black to black. Pushers are wired backwards... so it was my goof.

:icon_idea: You'll be like a kid on christmas morning tomorrow when you wake up :D:icon_thumby::icon_cheers:
I was this morning, I knew I would probably try it tonight. I didn't know if I was getting socks or a PS3...

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
Yep, same aluminum Griffin radiator. And those fans were removed at least a dozen or more times for various engine swaps and when I initially had problems with leakage from the jury rigged outlet elbow job I did. As long as the fans are snugged tight and the foam pads are present, there shouldn't be any movement to wear holes in the tubes.
Thanks. I've never used that type of mounting because of what I've heard, but I won't hesitate to try it now if I need to.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. I've never used that type of mounting because of what I've heard, but I won't hesitate to try it now if I need to.
I mounted mine with those and metal brackets too. Dunno if I had to, but I do traverse rough roads at times and didn't like the idea of those little aluminum tubes holding up the fan all by their lonesome. May not have been needed, but they were cheap insurance IMO. Shown as a pusher, but would work with a puller too.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic

Was there no room to use the fan as a puller?

How close is the driver side cylinder head to the firewall?

If I remember right, the radiator is mounted in the factory location?

What diameter fan is that? Depth?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Was there no room to use the fan as a puller?

How close is the driver side cylinder head to the firewall?

If I remember right, the radiator is mounted in the factory location?

What diameter fan is that? Depth?

Engine is just under an inch from the firewall.

Rad is in factory location.

About half an inch between water and fan. The belt setup is too close to the engine for multiple fans.

16" fan, 3.187 deep and 2500 CFM. I had to cut the vertical support out after I got the foam pads between the fan and radiator. I left enough to still mount the grille/tranny cooler bracket.

My research showed that the TRS article recomends 1200CFM, and elsewhere states that pushers are 80% as effective as pullers, so then the minimum was 1400 for a pusher. I went with one single to get more fan area and less fan motors (which look like the same size) blocking air movement. Also only having one fan in the center puts it behind the support so it isn't blocking as much air. Dunno how it will work yet but I thought I would try something new...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLX-119/

As it sits now...

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
Ugh... I was hoping for more room using the Crown Vic FEAD. That looks like a nice fan you have, and should work well. I'm going to look into moving the radiator forward and use the fan I already have since I'm poor lol.

I'm going out today to drop a 5.0 in using the 70's truck mounts. I tried it before and it didn't fit well, but I can't remember why, so I'm going to find out why today. Then I'll probably go to the parts store and get some Mustang mounts... two driver side and 1 passenger side... the guy will be like "huh?"

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ugh... I was hoping for more room using the Crown Vic FEAD. That looks like a nice fan you have, and should work well. I'm going to look into moving the radiator forward and use the fan I already have since I'm poor lol.
I won't recommend doing it this way until I know if it will work or not anyway. Pullers work, probably the best bet at this point.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have the Edelbrock valve covers, oil breather and air cleaner, they are all matching. For some extremly stupid reason the nibble on the oil breather is 1/2" and the nipple on the air cleaner is 3/4"... you can't stretch a hose over the 3/4" nipple that is anything close to fitting the breather.

When I ask for a molded hose that small at a parts store all I get is blank stares, so I got on my John Deere parts website (that I use all the time at work) and did a search for a hose 1/2"x3/4"x5"... and the first thing that came up was part number MG86500111. It fits like a glove.

And it looks like a truck again!

Something I made noise about a long time ago, my brother (who works at a Ford dealer) got them for me a couple years ago for Christmas. I can finally justy having them on. For those that are not first generation aficionado's, V6 trucks had a similar badge in the same place... mine has had a lot of bodywork done at some point and they must not have made the cut. These were originally for the rear hatch of 4.6L Explorers.

V6 badge:

http://mecanic-vallee.com/images/ford-ranger-1985.jpg

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I saw those back when they first came out. They're a repro of the old 1930's flathead V8 emblem. I went in a different direction with badging mine...............1968 Cheby 302 emblems for a Z-28. Did the same for the 327(331) in my Comet.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well I have been buttoning things up and getting some run time under its belt.

I did make a very irritating discovery tonight, I think my reman water pump is leaking between the backing plate and the pump body. It is a small leak, but a leak nonetheless. Not cool, pretty much whole front of the truck has to come off for that :annoyed:

I figured since I put in a reman water pump, and the alt is pretty new so I would have at least a little time before it would have to come back apart, and at that time I would switch FEAD's to something more compact. One of those "I am only going to do this once" things.

We need the room at the shop, it is complete and getting a ride on a trailer tomorrow to go home. Probably will go ahead and get an exhaust thrown on it too. I need a break from it, been working until at least 7 just about every night and most of my weekends on it for close to two months.

What is a compact and easy to work with FEAD? I noticed a ton of 5.0 Explorers at U-Pull-It last weekend, how does their setup work with no A/C or smog pump?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals