• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 Bronco II from Southern Oregon

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hello.Just a new guy checking in. Very informative site! This is my first Ford 4x4 although I have had other 4x4 brands in the past, Chevy, Dodge, Nissan, Suzuki etc. I bought this non running project about a month ago and have driven it nearly every day since then. 84 tan and white 4x4 with a 2.8 auto. The carb is a Weber 38 DGAS two barrel. Cracked heads were replaced before me and it didn't run right since then. After I found out it had solid lifters I adjusted them and that really helped. Also the TFI module was bad so the timing wouldn't advance once it warmed up. Also the thermostat was missing so the engine never got over 120*. It's running better all the time but the gas mileage is still horrible for it's size and weight, 10 mpg. Hopefully I can get it better. Norm

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Welcome, I live in Medford

yodaman1151

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Welcome, I'm in Oregon City

John Smith

Reaction score
Welcome Grimn..

Glad to see that rig is running well..I live in Southern Oregon myself..If you bought it in White City..i almost bought it it but didn't really have to time to work on it right now...ll i hope that Weber will give you the mileage you need...I'd like to think that a carb properly tuned could give the mileage that an EFI motor would but it may be a challenge..many on this site have tips that could help u I'm sure..( I have some experience with the motorcraft 2150's..but not that Weber)

happy trail ridin..

Last edited:

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the welcome. After I get a new muffler on it, I may take it out to the ponds in White City to see if it will go over this hill without getting high centered like my old long bed Datsun did.:D

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If your running a non feedback carb with the computer you will never get any good mileage. Do you have to pass emissions there where you are if not duraspark it with a autolite 2150 non feedback or a holly 350. you can get 16 or above mpg and will bring that engine to life.

rtg143

U.S. Military - Veteran
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.4l
Transmission
Automatic
Welcome to the forums. Grants Pass here.

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for the tips! The Bronco is too old to need to be pass smog. Of all the emission relays stuff, I think the map sensor is the only thing that is plugged in. Even the egr is unhooked. The Duraspark sounds like a good idea. Also there is a Thunderbird at the wrecking yard with a 3.8 v6 with the complete throttlebody injection setup. I think I read that throttlebody etc bolts up to the 2.8. Does that sound like a worthwhile upgrade for an EFI able person?

Ps.here's a pic of the Bronco (with my electric Toyota in the background)
[/IMG]

Last edited:

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the welcome. After I get a new muffler on it, I may take it out to the ponds in White City to see if it will go over this hill without getting high centered like my old long bed Datsun did.:D

I will never again goto the ponds, when i fix my truck we should go trail riding

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I ave heard the TBI works with the 2.8 but the duraspark will give you the same or better results with alot less money and time. I put new valve guide seals, manifold gasket, 2150 carb and duraspark setup. All you need to splice is one or two wires for the ignition and all the computer harness goes away just strip the harness from the coil to the alternator to keep the alternator,oil and water wires intact the rest goes away. About $130 for the ignition new and whatever you decide for the carb you can probably use the carb you have on it and will work alot better with a good vacuum advance dizzy. All your problems are probably 100% in the advance and a motorcraft/autolite carb with the 1.08 venturi is best for fuel economy. Just put duraspark in the search posts with the 83-84 I is almost plug and play if you can find the harness from a 84 4cyl ranger for the dizzy use the stock coil and splice the green wire from the module to the neg side of the coil.

John Smith

Reaction score
I have an extra diz

If you have an interest in the duraspark mod..i happen to have a new 78 pinto diz in a box..and a rebuild-able 2150 core...(as well as a new rebuilt)...

(B2 is looking good)...but to get some spark advance control would surely help the performance...

if you have the energy for adding the necessary fuel stuff for the efi carb..go ahead on but if i had a carbed motor i wouldn't look back myself

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals