• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 b2

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Better to get rid of the feedback carb and computer. Run a Duraspark ignition and standard 2100 carb. It will run much better.
Totally agreed but I seem to remember that Washington has pretty strict emissions testing and doesn't pass Duraspark swaps. I could be wrong though.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
They actually have somebody there that knows the difference ??????????????????????????????????????

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
yes duraspark is illegal for emissions but im lucky the town i live in has no emissions testing so im lucky and petesponies my forth gear wouldnt work as in put it in fourth and the speed drops instead of increases and this being even going 75 i would shift to fourth and it still would drop in speed and it never would do that

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
In wa if the vehicle is 25yrs old emission is not required. As for the carb did you mess with the idle air needles. Do not hook the choke thermostat up to battery power you will have to replace it you can check for voltage it gets a pulse similar to the guage regulator. If the choke dont open all the way when the engine is warm unscrew the three screws and open it manually before you do anything to the carb. If the thermostat has the break away screws take a small chizzel and unscrew the three screws until you can grab them with your fingers and save at least one so you can get replacement screws. Disconnect the battery while your messing with the choke and cleaning all the wire connectors for the computer. Spreay then with elect cleaner and use dielectric grease when putting back together. Fix any cracked or bare wires you find be thorough. Run the engine for 10 minutes or so and confirm the choke is all the way open then see how it does on a mountain pass.

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
There are about 7 ground wires to the engine and computer pull them apart and sand metal to metal tell us what you find out good or bad.

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Having been involved with autos most of my life, both personally and on a professional and teaching level . . . . I have little faith for a state worker knowing anything about what a vehicle is supposed to come with from the factory. Especially, if you do a professional looking job on a conversion.

Last edited:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I haven`t had contact with any state worker at an emission station that was anything less than a prick either. Dont give them any ammo.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
well here in washington they are pricks cause they told my aunt and uncle that they needed a new transmission and a new alternator in order to pass emissions which is bull crap so they registered it with a chelan address cause here in chelan u dont have to go thru emissions

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
What did you find out with your B-II

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What I would recommend you do is find a repair shop that can do a good rebuild on your carb and talk to them about letting you watch how it's done. They will be able to diagnose any other issues too. We are pissing in the dark here, you need some basic knowledge about how to adjust this stuff or you won't get it right.
Maybe this isnt recomended really but you can do it just fine yourself, just get the kit and start unscrewing things but make sure you do it all in a sitting and you can do it. i just did it and im not carburetor efficient and its my first car too. Its all easy to figure out really. Just a recomendation coming from a guy who doesnt have any money to pay for a repair shop lol. http://www.howstuffworks.com/question377.htm helps as well.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
cleaned the grounds and it didnt do anythin they were pretty clean and what ur saying about the choke i dont understand fully what u mean i see the three screws but dont know how to change it manually

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cleaned the grounds and it didnt do anythin they were pretty clean and what ur saying about the choke i dont understand fully what u mean i see the three screws but dont know how to change it manually
twiiiiiissssst it:icon_hornsup:

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
If you loosen the three screws you can turn the round part clockwise to open the choke fully. If you take it off you will see the spring inside fits in the middle of the fork so it closes the choke and will also open the choke. Let the engine fully warm up and then adjust the thermostat to where it pulls the butterfly fully open and then lock it down. All the sensors must be plugged in when running the motor. If you run it with a sensor unplugged you need to reset the computer by bisconnecting the batt for 1/2 an hour.

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
ok i understand know thanks i will try that tomorrow im really hoping to come into some money soon to do a duraspark swap cause i hate the feedback carb and all the problems it brings

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
Look for a late 70 pinto, mustang II or mid 70s capri at the bone yard if it has the 2.8 in it you can use the parts out of it dizzy, module and coil.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals