• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 3.55 to 4.10 Gas Mileage

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
what's your plans for the truck, seriously?
leave it as it w/ lower gears? larger tires? lift? lowered? drag?

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have 4.10s and 225/70 R15s on my truck and at 65-70 I'm right around 3K... That's higher than you want to be with a 4.0.

With a 4.0 and 4.10s you're set up for 31s.
I do have 14 inch rims though this truck is a really a daily driver/ car show driver, not a highway cruiser so in someway the high RPM dosen't bother mean and at 70 I am right around 2300-2450 don't quote me. My master tech at school said most of the time in the swap I am doing it will jump 150 to 200 RPM. Hell I have no idea, and as far as I can tell this swap will be interesting

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what's your plans for the truck, seriously?
leave it as it w/ lower gears? larger tires? lift? lowered? drag?
street/ maybe strip

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
(2400/3.73)4.10 = 2638rpm

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
You have 14 inch rims, so you tires are even smaller. That means at the same speed your RPMs will be higher.

Let's do some math.

4.10-3.55= .55.

3.55/.55= 6.454

100/6.454= 15.49% difference between gearsets.

Let's say that you're right when you said 2300-2450 RPM at 70.

2450x1.1549= 2829 RPM with 4.10s

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm suprised you don't have a hard time with traction now with them small tires. My truck with the larger tires and a rear locker lights em up effortlessly.

But basically first and second will feel strong, but as you approach the right side of your tachometer in any gear (which will come quicker with deeper gears) the truck will get less exciting. The 4.0L OHV makes a great motor for towing and offroading where the motor spends most of its time below 3000rpm. Most guys who look to improve the truck to "go faster" will swap to an entirely different drivetrain because the 4.0L just doesn't cut it.

In its simplest form, you are gaining a lot of acceleration down low at the expense of top speed and fuel mileage. You might find with the 4.10s that a better set of tires will be required. A wider tire on a 15" rim will regain that traction to launch.
On very slick surfaces like a parking lost drag strip she rips them up easy, but on tarmack hell no I do have hankook that are sticky so that dosen't help either. In some ways I can't figure it out either thats one reason why I want 4.10s:icon_confused::icon_confused:

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
street/ maybe strip
If you really want to hit the strip, you are honestly wasting your money on the 4.0L OHV. If you are patient, you can source out all the required parts to swap in a small block ford v8. I've seen dyno charts of 4.0 OHV engines running 8psi supercharged with ported heads and comp cams 422 camshaft and supporting mods make just over 200hp (but made over 300rwtq). A mild 302 with GT40 iron heads and a mild cam backed by a c4 auto will easily make 275-300hp with room to grow. When I swapped in a V8 in my old 93, I ran a carburetor for ease of tuning and cost. Every dollar spent was researched and stretched to go as fast as I could.

Its all about being honest with yourself and your goals. The 421 banshee you see in my avatar took a whole year to build (all by myself). The results are impressive, but they only come after an immense amount of hours researching and patience during assembly (and a few brewskis to calm the nerves).

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have 14 inch rims, so you tires are even smaller. That means at the same speed your RPMs will be higher.

Let's do some math.

4.10-3.55= .55.

3.55/.55= 6.454

100/6.454= 15.49% difference between gearsets.

Let's say that you're right when you said 2300-2450 RPM at 70.

2450x1.1549= 2829 RPM with 4.10s
correct, and yes the mileage will go down somewhat, but from what I have heard the performance change in the truck is worth it. Thanks for the info

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you really want to hit the strip, you are honestly wasting your money on the 4.0L OHV. If you are patient, you can source out all the required parts to swap in a small block ford v8. I've seen dyno charts of 4.0 OHV engines running 8psi supercharged with ported heads and comp cams 422 camshaft and supporting mods make just over 200hp (but made over 300rwtq). A mild 302 with GT40 iron heads and a mild cam backed by a c4 auto will easily make 275-300hp with room to grow. When I swapped in a V8 in my old 93, I ran a carburetor for ease of tuning and cost. Every dollar spent was researched and stretched to go as fast as I could.

Its all about being honest with yourself and your goals. The 421 banshee you see in my avatar took a whole year to build (all by myself). The results are impressive, but they only come after an immense amount of hours researching and patience during assembly (and a few brewskis to calm the nerves).
Hell I know the only reason the 4.0 is still hear is because this was my father truck, and it's been in the family since 92, and that alone is the only to keep the stock motor. It might not be stock anymore, but hell my dad name is on the damn block. He was at Chicago Stamping Plant for 32 years.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
So pull the motor, clean/polish it up and put it on display in the garage. lol this WAS your father's truck. Its in your name, in your garage, and that means its your decisions. My wife purchased a car from her parents last year and they tried telling her what can/cannot be done. I picked up a second set of wheels and mounted some winter tires for her to use in the snow. They told me the tires weren't rated for the same speed as her factory tires.... she's not going to exceed 100mph ever, let alone in the snow lol. As long as the car sits in my name and my garage and I do the maintenance its my decision.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So pull the motor, clean/polish it up and put it on display in the garage. lol this WAS your father's truck. Its in your name, in your garage, and that means its your decisions. My wife purchased a car from her parents last year and they tried telling her what can/cannot be done. I picked up a second set of wheels and mounted some winter tires for her to use in the snow. They told me the tires weren't rated for the same speed as her factory tires.... she's not going to exceed 100mph ever, let alone in the snow lol. As long as the car sits in my name and my garage and I do the maintenance its my decision.
That old girl dosen't have any rust on the body the frame is OK I need for coat it real soon. I love this motor though it sounds like nothing else, and ur right if see ever dies, and I will pull her out and use the block as some type of display. I have been looking at higher gear for a while, and I am going to do them. On the ranger militia they couldn't believe that it was my fathers and heres the real kicker. I have the windows sticker she got some bad dents I would love to get rid of, and that means a new paint job

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals