• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

8.8 3.55 to 4.10 Gas Mileage

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My old man thinks I will ruin my gas mileage by putting 4.10s in my 4.0 ranger. I have heard it might drop a little or stay the same, and even heard the mileage might improve. Any info will help thanks.
8.8 3.55 stock

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
What size tire? Auto or manual trans?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
who cares.... just do it.
i bet it won't change much.
idk for sure tho.

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
who cares.... just do it.
i bet it won't change much.
idk for sure tho.
I going to anyways I don't give two shits, but he cares about gas mileage lol I don't

Last edited:

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
That'll put you around 2350rpm @ 60mph in overdrive! I am going to guess you'll drop 2-3mpg.

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That'll put you around 2350rpm @ 60mph in overdrive! I am going to guess you'll drop 2-3mpg.
So really 20 to 22 on the HWY I am not complaining at all, and the only reason the gas mileage will drop is because the tires are much bigger than the smaller one used on the 3.0 and 4 cylinder correct

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Actually the old 3.0L I used to own came factory with larger tires than what you have. I have 4.10 gears in my truck with 265/70/R16 (30.6") and my tach sits just a hair above 2K mark at 60mph.

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually the old 3.0L I used to own came factory with larger tires than what you have. I have 4.10 gears in my truck with 265/70/R16 (30.6") and my tach sits just a hair above 2K mark at 60mph.
cool never knew that put she is an 93 though. Hold on my info might be wrong I have the biggest tires an none 4X4 can have. sorry that I don't if those are my tires or not

Last edited:

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
My old 3.0L splash was a 93 also.

The 4.10s will make your truck feel like a tractor down low, but the old OHV engines dont breathe so well on top so you will be trading off top end acceleration and the raised rpm will really hurt fuel mileage on the highway. On the upside, you will have no problem turning a larger tire if you wanted to.

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My old 3.0L splash was a 93 also.

The 4.10s will make your truck feel like a tractor down low, but the old OHV engines dont breathe so well on top so you will be trading off top end acceleration and the raised rpm will really hurt fuel mileage on the highway. On the upside, you will have no problem turning a larger tire if you wanted to.
My heads and intake are ported so will it really make the truck acceleration that much better, and on the highway 70 75 is all I really run because I don't have cruise

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
Even with ported heads you're peak power will drop off around 4000rpm (at the very best). With a mild cam you can push it a little farther. Like I said, it'll pull real hard down low with the low end torque (unless the ported heads killed your intake velocity, then you'll lose your torque) and the 4.10 gears but it won't keep that "momentum" when you're winding the motor out. Just facts about the OHV man. My buddy's 93 ranger 2wd came with the 4.0L and 5 speed. He could do donuts in the road with the low end torque that had, but get it wound out around 70mph and it would start to fall on its face. Since then we've swapped his drivetrain out for a 2.3L turbo motor which feels just as strong in the midrange and makes gobs more power on top. Just a thought, 2.3L turbo... hint hint. lol

GoGoggansGo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even with ported heads you're peak power will drop off around 4000rpm (at the very best). With a mild cam you can push it a little farther. Like I said, it'll pull real hard down low with the low end torque (unless the ported heads killed your intake velocity, then you'll lose your torque) and the 4.10 gears but it won't keep that "momentum" when you're winding the motor out. Just facts about the OHV man. My buddy's 93 ranger 2wd came with the 4.0L and 5 speed. He could do donuts in the road with the low end torque that had, but get it wound out around 70mph and it would start to fall on its face. Since then we've swapped his drivetrain out for a 2.3L turbo motor which feels just as strong in the midrange and makes gobs more power on top. Just a thought, 2.3L turbo... hint hint. lol
O i agree completely the heads where mildly ported in a sense the master tech who did the job said if you went to far porting the head, and gutted it up would hurt you more than not. So the intake was our primary focus we got the job done in less than 1 day started at 9 am and got done at 7 pm and was running. So what you are saying is that 1 through 3rd gear will be like a freight train, and 1st gear will spin like no other. If this is true I am doing it no question

Last edited:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I have 4.10s and 225/70 R15s on my truck and at 65-70 I'm right around 3K... That's higher than you want to be with a 4.0.

With a 4.0 and 4.10s you're set up for 31s.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
I'm suprised you don't have a hard time with traction now with them small tires. My truck with the larger tires and a rear locker lights em up effortlessly.

But basically first and second will feel strong, but as you approach the right side of your tachometer in any gear (which will come quicker with deeper gears) the truck will get less exciting. The 4.0L OHV makes a great motor for towing and offroading where the motor spends most of its time below 3000rpm. Most guys who look to improve the truck to "go faster" will swap to an entirely different drivetrain because the 4.0L just doesn't cut it.

In its simplest form, you are gaining a lot of acceleration down low at the expense of top speed and fuel mileage. You might find with the 4.10s that a better set of tires will be required. A wider tire on a 15" rim will regain that traction to launch.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals