• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 fuel injected engine swap

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
I can't imagine even thinking of doing a carb on anything
agreed all of the efi haters that say "too much hassle" or "not worth it" have never done it

a 2.9 harness will run a 5.0 with only as much work as adding 2 more injector plugs to it, and running a 1989 f-150 computer (same pinout as the 2.9) so every sensor and plug will remain un-molested.

seriously to use his words: that is about the same "pain in the A$$" as converting an efi fuel system, to low-pressure for a carb, while needing to swap intake manifolds as well.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
I have done a carb swap, and I would never do it again...EFI all the way, its much easier to me, but then again, I know EF systems like the back of my hand...Each to his own, and if you want to go carb, its your rig, I say do it :icon_thumby:
SVT

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
I have done a carb swap, and I would never do it again
my v8 swap started life with a carb just to get it started

and my dad is currently in the middle of building a 1969 short-bed chevy, he has put in all new glass, all new interior panels, updated front-end, adapted corbeau bucket seats etc. so i asked him: "are you going to go efi?" he said "no, thats too much work......" after going through all of that other work

i figure its more a matter of being intimidated of the ramifications, but they site every other incorrect reason instead: "carbs are easier", or "carbs make more power", my personal favorite is a guy over on bII.org that went off onto a whole schpeel of "i'm a carburetor guy, my truck came with a carb from the factory so if i do an engine swap it'll have a carb" and he wanted to do a 4.0 swap :icon_rofl:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
I did mine on a tarp on my living room floor. It was the one part of the swap that I was 100% confident would work the first time. One you get into the wiring, it's quite fun in that regard.
Haha, I did mine on the floor inside too. Every splice was soldered and protected with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing for a lifetime of trouble free operation. I was 100% confident too... I covered it with wire loom and taped it and put it in the truck knowing that everything would work flawlessly. I had the EVTM for the donor car and the Ranger, so I made a "conversion chart/diagram" to use when soldering.

My current project is swapping a 460 and an AOD into my '93 Ranger... which will likely end up being a carbed set up... UGH!!! I want fuel injection using my D0VE-C heads, but I would have to make a custom intake manifold for it. To use the factory fuel injection would mean having to use the craptastic EFI heads. I'd like to have an EFI system like bigblockranger had.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
my v8 swap started life with a carb just to get it started

and my dad is currently in the middle of building a 1969 short-bed chevy, he has put in all new glass, all new interior panels, updated front-end, adapted corbeau bucket seats etc. so i asked him: "are you going to go efi?" he said "no, thats too much work......" after going through all of that other work
Now on this subject, I do agree, it would be troublesome to install EFI in a vehicle that didn't already have it, in this case I would go carb ( knowing me I would transplant the EFI into the vehicle) in a carb'd vehicle, but in a vehicle that came with EFI, I'd stay EFI... :icon_thumby:
SVT

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Why?

A carb will get you on the road faster, be more reliable (its eaiser to hook up 3 things then 30), and if tuned in properly will run just as good as EFI....

The ONLY good thing about EFI is its easier to start at 10 degrees.

later,"
Dustin

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
EFI has better throttle response, starts better at any temp, gets better fuel mileage, stays running on off camber angles and automatically compensates for elevation, temp change, etc...
SVT

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
potato / to-mah-to.

We don't have to build them all the same, I guess.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Haha, I did mine on the floor inside too. Every splice was soldered and protected with adhesive lined heat shrink tubing for a lifetime of trouble free operation. I was 100% confident too... I covered it with wire loom and taped it and put it in the truck knowing that everything would work flawlessly. I had the EVTM for the donor car and the Ranger, so I made a "conversion chart/diagram" to use when soldering.

My current project is swapping a 460 and an AOD into my '93 Ranger... which will likely end up being a carbed set up... UGH!!! I want fuel injection using my D0VE-C heads, but I would have to make a custom intake manifold for it. To use the factory fuel injection would mean having to use the craptastic EFI heads. I'd like to have an EFI system like bigblockranger had.

why cant you do efi and dove heads??

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Why?

A carb will get you on the road faster, be more reliable (its eaiser to hook up 3 things then 30), and if tuned in properly will run just as good as EFI....

The ONLY good thing about EFI is its easier to start at 10 degrees.

later,"
Dustin
none of that is true for most people that actually know how engines work and a solid grasp on basic wiring skills..

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The badness of a carb is overly exaggerated.

First off, better mileage does not come from EFI...it comes from O\D transmissions that came about around the same time EFI came around.

Extreme angles? They make a carb for trhat....ever hear of a truck avenger? Who needs their rig to run upside down?

Elevation? It'll kill the power in an EFI engine to.....the ONLY way an EFI engine can compenasate for less dense air is to add less fuel. Power goes down anyways. The only advatage i could see here would be MPG staying roughly the same.

Temputure changes? Thats what a good choke is for. My 78 Ford will fire up when its cold just as good as my 08 Colorado.

Throttle Response, Once a carbed engine is warmed up you cant tell a difference.

....and bobby, i do understand how engines work, im not the greatest at wireing though i will admit. But i dont see the point in doing all the extra work to obtain the same thing.

later,
Dustin

fordmike1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 & 1983
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking for a 85-88 Ranger and I have a Nasty little 331 stroker that I am going to put into it. This truck will be carburated not becuse its easier or makes more power or the fact its cheaper but becuse that is what I want to do with this build. I have many projects and almost all of them have been EFI and now I just want to do a carb'ed engine. I have spent many years doing carb's and I can dial them in very well and they are dependable as a rock. So to all those carb haters I will agree EFI is great but you have not rode in a vehical with a proper tuned carb and felt the awsome power that a carb'ed engine can deliver and how easy it is to keep them that away.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
why cant you do efi and dove heads??
I can do efi, just not with a factory Ford system. The intake ports are different on the efi heads. If I do go with efi, I would do it using a TBI from a big block Chevy with an adapter to a carbed manifold. The GM TBI units can be modded for some decent flow.

cammeddrz

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/chevy
Engine Size
efi 350vortec
Transmission
Manual
TBI from a big block Chevy with an adapter to a carbed manifold. The GM TBI units can be modded for some decent flow.
that's what i have on mine

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals