• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

5.0 fuel injected engine swap

rangerkid91

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Manual
Im thinking of purchasing a mustang with a 5.0 fuel injected engine in it and putting it in my ranger. I know i will need the computer and wiring horness. But would the trans be ok to put in my truck? Im not sure what trans it is tho. Thanks for the help.

red rocket

U.S. Military - Active
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
carbed 5.0
Transmission
Manual
good luck on the fuel injection its a pain in the A$$ carb much easier and faster

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
good luck on the fuel injection its a pain in the A$$ carb much easier and faster
Along with TeddyZee, I also disagree with carb...the EFI system is already there, the mustang harness can be easily wired to the truck's electrical system with just a few researched connections, you even re-use the the ranger's in-tank fuel pump...for carb you would have to get a FPR, tune it till you get the right PSI (too high can blow the carb's diaphram), then you have to adjust the carb for climate changes....Why do you think Ford stopped manufacturing the carb and went EFI :icon_confused:
SVT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Gonna get a 460
Transmission
Automatic
Depends on who you are I guess.

I couldn't rebuild or tune a carb if I had to, but I was able to swap a fuel injected '92 5.0 HO into my '97 Ranger with ZERO problems using factory Ford wiring harnesses that I spliced together. Everything worked perfectly the first time... all the gauges and factory tach, check engine light, reverse lights, ignition, only starts in park or neutral, cooling fans... crazy, huh? No AutoZone triple gauge hanging under my dash, no monster tach on the pillar, the engine started perfectly on the coldest days of winter... the fuel injection was so dependable that all I had to do was drive it!

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic

I couldn't rebuild or tune a carb if I had to, but I was able to swap a fuel injected '92 5.0 HO into my '97 Ranger with ZERO problems using factory Ford wiring harnesses that I spliced together. Everything worked perfectly the first time... all the gauges and factory tach, check engine light, reverse lights, ignition, only starts in park or neutral, cooling fans... crazy, huh? No AutoZone triple gauge hanging under my dash, no monster tach on the pillar, the engine started perfectly on the coldest days of winter... the fuel injection was so dependable that all I had to do was drive it!

I couldn't agree more...Tune a carb?? How the hell you do that?? I'd have to travel back in time to learn that...Now wire up a EFI V8 in a late model ranger, now that's what I'm talking about! Where is the blind fold so I can get started!!
SVT

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual

I couldn't agree more...Tune a carb?? How the hell you do that?? I'd have to travel back in time to learn that...Now wire up a EFI V8 in a late model ranger, now that's what I'm talking about! Where is the blind fold so I can get started!!
SVT
lol, but true...

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
an if you dont like splicing into the stock ranger harness an ur able to get the complete f150 harness you can just swap everything over. thats what im doing to my ranger i got the whole engine bay harness an cab harness outta an f150 an how im just gonna swap it all into my ranger but im gonna have to make a custom dash to hold everything. alot more work then just splicing into the old harness but this way i wont have any wrong connections that can leave me tracing wires for a year trying to get the truck running.

quick question for everyone which 5L makes more power the one out of a mustang or f150? i heard the computer is slightly tuned different on the f150 to make more torque is that true or are they the same power ratings?

Teddyzee

V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
an if you dont like splicing into the stock ranger harness an ur able to get the complete f150 harness you can just swap everything over. thats what im doing to my ranger i got the whole engine bay harness an cab harness outta an f150 an how im just gonna swap it all into my ranger but im gonna have to make a custom dash to hold everything. alot more work then just splicing into the old harness but this way i wont have any wrong connections that can leave me tracing wires for a year trying to get the truck running.

quick question for everyone which 5L makes more power the one out of a mustang or f150? i heard the computer is slightly tuned different on the f150 to make more torque is that true or are they the same power ratings?
Just wanted to remind you, when splicing a harness together (such as Mustang harness to the Ranger connector), every connection/splice can be verified with a multi-meter. Set it to the "continuity" setting, and you know it's going to work.

I did mine on a tarp on my living room floor. It was the one part of the swap that I was 100% confident would work the first time. One you get into the wiring, it's quite fun in that regard.

The '85-'95 Mustang engines have more power than any truck 302, except '94-up. ('94-'96 F150, '96-'01 Explorer)
Quick search showed the truck engines with a maximum of 185 horse, the later ones (as mentioned above) show 205 ish.

Last edited:

MUDDING B-3000

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 , 1992
Make / Model
Ford , Ford
Engine Size
7.3L , 4L
Transmission
Manual
ya see me i dont have the patience for splicing a new harness together. Id rather a plug an play system, it will keep me from giving up an freaking out trying to get a harness to work lol

mike732

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I can't imagine even thinking of doing a carb on anything, the mustang setup is better, faster, and just as easy. One must consider on a carb, you will have to rerun your fuel line with out the in tank pump, you will have to add wiring for your duraspark box and distributor and still have the technology from the early twentith century. I guess everyone has his or her own opinion, so do what you want and first and formost enjoy doing it...Mike

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
The '85-'95 Mustang engines have more power than any truck 302, except '94-up. ('94-'96 F150, '96-'01 Explorer)
Quick search showed the truck engines with a maximum of 185 horse, the later ones (as mentioned above) show 205 ish.
These love a cam

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals