• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

43" tires on a BII

D'cheat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
Your D44's are lasting mostly due to our trucks in general. They dont weigh anything, and even the 4.0 is not exactly a torque monster of an engine. Let alone the 2.9. Our engines will stall before we can snap most things. Unless your running a crazy crawl ratio. Then the motor will be spinning so fast, it could jump start a small planet.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
My axle is already forward, 6". It would be pretty easy to lose 2", lose the blocks in the rear and take 2" out of the front shackles. I'll have to see how it works, if it feels too tipsy I have options:D. I'm not afraid to chop mine, though its not a daily driver it still frequents the pavement so it needs to be legal and somewhat comfortable.

Here is a pic of mine before any fender trimming.
do u have a build thread?

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hey thats no fair, the front of mine is doved lol and about the torque totally true, i mean i like my 4.0 a lot, but under a load that would brake an axle, yeah just stall, cant wait to get my doubler in :)

D'cheat - how much for a set of chevy 63's in reno.. winnemucca has no junk yard wtf

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
do u have a build thread?
Sorry, no build thread. My intentions were to do one, but I kept forgetting to stop and take pictures. I took a few pictures along the way but not enough to really do a build thread.

-Jester

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Subscribed!!

Wicked! Can't wait to see where you go with this build!!

Keep us posted man!

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
i found a 79 bronco d44 front for 100 bucks, should i snatch it up? will it be the same as swapping in an eb d44?

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
i found a 79 bronco d44 front for 100 bucks, should i snatch it up? will it be the same as swapping in an eb d44?
I believe that the 79 bronco D44 is full width where the EB D44 is narrow, but other then that it should be the same, coils with radius arms. I paid $200 for my high pinion D44, so I think its a good price if you want to go full width, or put the work in and narrow it.

Lots of good info here.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/Dana44.htm

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/narrowing_a_ford_dana44.htm

-Jester

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
i got a f/w 8.8 in the shed...so maybe ill snatch it up. will it be the same process as swapping in an eb d44?

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
i got a f/w 8.8 in the shed...so maybe ill snatch it up. will it be the same process as swapping in an eb d44?
The same process? Yeah, remove all the old crap and put all the shiny new stuff in its place.:D I don't know. How do you plan on setting up your suspension? Coils? leaves? Stock wheel base? Extended wheel base? Stock mounts(coil buckets, etc.) on the frame?

I don't think going full width is any more work then a narrowed SAS. Do yourself a favor, spend the money and set your steering up the right way the first time. Don't try and jerry rig it, it's not the spot to try and save money. It's not worth the headache.

-Jester

Last edited:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
i mean same process being the same as doing an eb d44 swap, using eb coils, eb radius bracket, and fab a trac bar bracket(or get poly p, ballistic, or ruffstuff bracket). think ill keep stock mounting points till i get everything right on it, then shift the front axle forward about 4 or 5"...but at the same time it would be easy to do leaves and shift the axle forward right out of the gate, using some waggy springs with the offset pin

def not going to jerry rig anything...my newborn rides in this thing. gonna get the axle this weekend if i can get off work, and start tearing it apart for a overhaul, then start collecting parts. i have 4.88's in the 8.8 how bad will that suck with 38's?

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I dont see why not. But I cant say for sure, I did leaves on mine. 38s with 4.88 gears should be pretty close to the stock ratio, might be a little tall but not bad at all.

-Jester

D'cheat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 v8
Transmission
Automatic
Its going to be the exact same process to swap in a full size d44 as a EB's axle. Only your radius arms will be angled in a little bit, you will have to space your coil buckets out about 1.5" from the frame and your panard bar will be longer. Thats it.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
is is better to try to space out the buckets i got, or get some ballistic fab buckets and make mods from there? well i set up a time to go pick up my axle...im pretty stoked, about to start making things happen. D'cheat u made me get a little motivated to do the dam thing:headbang:

The Jester Race

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 2009
Make / Model
Ford, BMW
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Fab your own buckets.:icon_welder: I personally wouldn't spend the money on the ballistics buckets if your just gonna cut them up to make them work for what you need. Dont get me wrong, they make some damn nice parts, but you can get quite a bit of 1/4" plate for $70.

FWIW, I'd copy Ruth's design.

-Jester

Last edited:

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Fab your own buckets.:icon_welder: I personally wouldn't spend the money on the ballistics buckets if your just gonna cut them up to make them work for what you need. Dont get me wrong, they make some damn nice parts, but you can get quite a bit of 1/4" plate for $70.

FWIW, I'd copy Ruth's design.

-Jester
well thank you sir, but yeah mine was was very cheap, less than $ 20 for the materials for the coil buckets, panhard bracket and still had some small pieses left... plus mine was very basic and looks good i think... but if you do copy mine, make a coil retainer for the top too, you dont want the coil dropping out :annoyed:

i wouldnt try and modify the stock ones by spacing them away from the frame, thats booty fab lol

sorry for the dirty pic :(

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals