• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4" superlift + keys?

07rangerfx4lv2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
im pretty close to going all out and buying the 4" superlift for my ranger(if its still available), even though its gunna cost a pile but i want to go bigger as everyone does. Anyways the question is i dont have my stock torsion keys any longer due to the stupid shop throwing them away after they installed the aftermarket ones, can i install the 4" superlift with the keys or is it too much stress etc...i wouldnt have them cranked at all

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Nope.
The lift needs to be used w/ stock keys. you might be able to just let your keys down all the way... but it might not let you fine tune the front height and/or get a proper alignment.

I've have a few customers request me to leave leveling keys in with lift kits, mostly Chevys and F-150s, but haven't had one yet that would align while turned up. And the few I have adjusted just enough to align, have been brought back to me to have OEM keys put back in because the way it drove and the ride was terrible.

One the other hand, the OEM keys can be cranked to +1.5" with no problem, with a lift kit. It'll just ride a little stiffer, and not articulate so well.

07rangerfx4lv2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Manual
hmm i see, yeah i havnt turned up the keys at all, ill have to price out the stockers i suppose

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
it doesnt matter about the keys. they are just indexed different. if u can allign it now it will allign with the lift kit on and the keys in the same position. mark the screws before u remove them so u will know about how far they were in.

people get it mixed up, esp these key manufactures they say "wont max out torsion bars, or wont max out keys" thats bs, its no different then cranking the stock keys to get the same amount of lift. it doesnt matter if the bolts are all the way in or just resting on the nut thingy. crank is crank.

the common misconception with torsion keys are people think they buy the new re-indexed ones and crank the piss out of it and it will ride like stock. which is not true, they are for the "dummy installer" u put them in and leave the bolt barely in, with the key resting on the stop, which gives u the amount specified. there is no turning and measuring to make sure u get that height. whereas stock keys u have to run the bolt in, let jack down measure and if not where u want it do it all again.

i put 97-02 f150 keys in my z71 2500 they were exactly the same as the suspension maxx and others. at rest the net about 2.5" lift. which was how much i had my stock keys cranked. there was absolutely no difference whatsoever. they would have allowed 4" of lift if i ran them all the way in, and guys were doing an upper bj flip, mounting the bj on the bottom to get it to allign.

sorry...anyways the 4" lift will be a drop down kit which uses stock torsion bars and everything. only thing is the mounting points for the control arms are lower(UCA"s would stay in place if its a knuckle kit) which has nothing to do with springs. ive installed about 10 torsion bar IFS kits at work and the owners wanted me to crank the bars about 2" to get more. one being a chevy with a 6" RC with 2" crank. s10 zr2 6" superlift with 1.5" crank. none had problems alligning, and i know this because i dropped them off at the tire store myself and got the allignment printouts

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
You do not need new keys in addition to the Superlift on an '07. '08-up should use the '07-earlier factory keys because they came with lower keys from the factory.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals