• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 SOHC turbo

gvfd29

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc
Transmission
Automatic
Hypereutectecs are Cast, they just have a higher silicon content that limits expansion, so a tighter fit is possible. This also results in a more stable piston movement, which is good for NA applications.... However, detonation kills Hypers just as easy as it kills Regular cast, so your tune has to be on.

From what I have researched, the SOHC pistons are hypereutectic (pretty much any piston in any modern engine, is hyper) and hold up fairly well to boost. The problem with the SOHC is the swiss cheese deck, and the likelyhood of blowing a HG with the high compression ratio...What I have heard is around 7psi is a good safe number for a stock engine. Even at that, your looking at 300+ hp, which is plenty through a ranger tranny...
Hell with 3psi I'd more than be happy with the power......for the moment lol. You know how owning a Ford is.....can't ever have enough power.

THE H.P FREAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L (245c.i)
Transmission
Automatic
HI!... I'm currently building a 4.0L SOHC single turbo set-up. It has a custom FMIC, Garrett GT3582R (liquid cooled), dual ball bearing, T3/T4, with billet wheels. I'll be running mine at 7-8PSI max on the stock engine. I will be having a custom built 4.0L SOHC later this year. My turbo will be in the engine compartment. I'm building a custom Shd 40 S/S turbo manifold. Running a TIAL MV-R (liquid cooled) 44MM wastegate, Tial 50mm blowoff. Should be good for 350-400RWH.P. Have a race built 5R55E trans and 3200 stall.

Here's a few pics of my intercooler set-up.

Here's a link to everything you want to know about the 4.0L SOHC engine..........

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/40SOHCTech.pdf

skyy_4life

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
idk about getting 350-400rwhp out of 8psi on a stock 4.0. thats wut im getting out of 25psi on my 2.3.

theres a member on turborangerforums that has a sohc turbo 4.0 that has been running for a while now. he may have the info u need.

your going to need to look into atleast a tuner for it to prevent pre-detonation and make sure u have the fuel required to prevent leaning out.

THE H.P FREAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L (245c.i)
Transmission
Automatic
HI!... Not a newb when it comes to cars. I know exactly what has to be bought and done. Mike Troyer has been tuning my street and drag cars/trucks for 15 years. He's one of the best at what he does. The other 4.0L truck you mentioned made 370RWH.P and 377RWTQ on 7.5 psi. So it's very possible. The stock 4.0L will only be in my truck for a short time. I'm having a custom built 4.0L and will be running it at around 20-22 psi.:D

rocket5979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
No offense meant towards the membership on this forum, but if you want information on turbocharging the 4.0 SOHC V6 in the Rangers and Explorers then explorerforum is where it is at. Many more people who have built custom turbo systems for their 4.0 SOHC V6's and a much bigger performance knowledge-base there.

THE H.P FREAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L (245c.i)
Transmission
Automatic
HI!... Ya I tried to join Explorerforum, but couldn't. It said I was banned for spamming? I don't know what that's all about? I've never been to that site before in my life. Apparently someone used my e-mail address to join and was spamming. WTF??? If anyone knows a administrator/moderator over at Explorerforum, lmk, I'd like to get these straightened out.

rocket5979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
HI!... Ya I tried to join Explorerforum, but couldn't. It said I was banned for spamming? I don't know what that's all about? I've never been to that site before in my life. Apparently someone used my e-mail address to join and was spamming. WTF??? If anyone knows a administrator/moderator over at Explorerforum, lmk, I'd like to get these straightened out.
Shoot me a PM with the member info for your account on explorerforum and I will PM Rick about it and see if something can be done.

Dirmaid

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
my opinion of turbo 4.0l V6s has changed dramatically thanks to explorerforum, so ill have to agree that is a well of ibfo. this thread inparticular
HTML:
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=214937&page=1
check it out :headbang:

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
HI!... I'm currently building a 4.0L SOHC single turbo set-up. It has a custom FMIC, Garrett GT3582R (liquid cooled), dual ball bearing, T3/T4, with billet wheels. I'll be running mine at 7-8PSI max on the stock engine. I will be having a custom built 4.0L SOHC later this year. My turbo will be in the engine compartment. I'm building a custom Shd 40 S/S turbo manifold. Running a TIAL MV-R (liquid cooled) 44MM wastegate, Tial 50mm blowoff. Should be good for 350-400RWH.P. Have a race built 5R55E trans and 3200 stall.

Here's a few pics of my intercooler set-up.

Here's a link to everything you want to know about the 4.0L SOHC engine..........

http://www.supersixmotorsports.com/pdf/40SOHCTech.pdf
Hey nice truck! ill point you towards, www.supersixmotorsports.com, as they have alot of info on SOHC upgrades.

Also, be careful, ive seen 8PSI boost blow holes in the factory pistons.

THE H.P FREAK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0L (245c.i)
Transmission
Automatic
HI!... I know all about SUPERSIXPERFORMANCE. I won't deal with them. A lot of their stuff is out sourced. It all depends on your tune, how many miles are on the engine, etc. I've seen guys go 12LBS on stock blocks and they run great. Seen guys with 4Lbs and vent a block with less than 250miles on the turbo set-up.

rocket5979

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
HI!... I know all about SUPERSIXPERFORMANCE. I won't deal with them. A lot of their stuff is out sourced. It all depends on your tune, how many miles are on the engine, etc. I've seen guys go 12LBS on stock blocks and they run great. Seen guys with 4Lbs and vent a block with less than 250miles on the turbo set-up.

I could not agree more with this post. I have a good friend of mine who ran his turbocharged Explorer 4.0 SOHC up to 14 psi boost on the stock longblock. He may have been running ARP head studs but I cannot recall those details. I concede that 14 psi is asking allot on the stock 4.0 SOHC engine but it does provide an example that if the combo is put together right and tuned correctly then the 4.0's can last while boosted.

And if something does happen it usually isn't related to cracking pistons but more to heads lifting and blowing the gasket.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals