• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Mods

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
well dont get carried away with interchangeability. while the blocks and heads have remained mostly unchanged, the engine management has gone through several different phases...so not everything is interchangeable through the different years.
ah ok

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
a whipple should be just about bolt on for you. you might have to have someone build you a computer tune since the newer trucks might have some different tunes...but thats not too big a deal.

whipple kits can still be had used...but since they were discontinued the price is at a premium...

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
well my neighbor who is an ASE certified mechanic his shop(XLR8 Motorsports) specializes in programing engines with forced induction. but the biggest problem remains is finding someone willing to give one up that is in decent conditon

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
how hard would it be to fabricate a Vortech Centrifugal S/C to fit it. if i cant find a whipple? the piping is not a problme the problem is lining it up with the pullies and getting a belt to fit

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
probably not that hard if youve got access to a welder, some steel, and a cutting torch.

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
my friend fabs stuff for me all the time, so i got the welder, just gotta get the cutting torch and steel, hmm that might be the direction i am heading, cause a whipple is 4000+ and the Vortech by itself is 1200(depending on model,) after the steel and paying my friend for his fab work and building an itake pipe i am looking at about roughly less than 3000 give or take, also how much boost is safe to run in a stock 3.0 i heard 10 psi is the ABSOLUTE max

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
many of the whipple guys are getting up to 12PSI on stock internals. fortunately for us, head gaskets seem to be the first thing to pop...much cheaper and easier than replacing a bottom end.

you could "probably" hit 15 a few times without much repercussion (i never said that though).

dont forget when you add more air into a motor, you have to add more fuel. the 3.0's stock fuel system is a little on the weak side, so you'll probably be looking at at least 19lb injectors.

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
if i went to a junk yard could i use the 19 pounders off the FF version? or are they incompatible

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
19lb injectors are easy to find....for used them on just about everything...just get ones from close to the same year as yours and you should be alright.

if your buddy has a wideband O2 sensor or a tailpipe sniffer then id throw some 19's on there and an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and take it in and tune away. fine tuning can be done with the PCM.

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
ok ok, thanks for all the good info i feel more confident that forced induction is in the near future for my 3.0, when i start the project i will post pics on the progress, i am going to try to do it so i can retain my daily driver while i do the project so it will end up taking me a long while

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
im out ill be back later today

dburton07

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.Ugh
Transmission
Automatic
That link took me to a NOS pipe fitting.

I'd be interested in getting the part number, description and photos to make a tech page for others to use. Can you post all that?
i got headlights......

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Also, make sure your cable is stretched before you do the mod. Have someone press the pedal to the floor while you watch the throttle plates. If the plates are opening all the way, you don't need to do anything to it.

Many have a spring that compensates for the so called "cable stretch" I would also correct the problem without using zip ties. Sometimes it is just the carpeting, mats preventing the pedal to go far enough down. shady

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
anyone got pics of the throttle cable mod? i have 2 trucks i wanna do it to, but i don't really understand it...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals