• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0 Mods

98ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i put the jet chip in my 3.0 and it definitely gave it a little more pep. if i ever get another 3.0 that will be the first thing i do to it. IMO it was a very well spent $250, worth it and only takes a few minutes to put in. just my 2 cents.

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
can someone post some more pics of the throttle cable mod... im not sure im understanding it fully... and the picture in there is pretty blurry.

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
i'll try to get some

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
all it is is stacking zip ties under the "stop" at the end of the throttle cable to take up any slack that may have developed over the years.

if it were me and my truck needed this mod, i would try for a less ghetto fix....such as cutting the stock and any extra length of cable off with snips and crimping on a new stop.

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
i will probubly actually do what sludge says since my brain doesnt half work i would have never thought of this

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You have to have a special tool to crimp the stop, That is not the problem. The floor gives from fatigue and the bracket on the intake gives. A braided stainless cable does NOT stretch. Yes they do get longer when they fray but, then they are junk and need to be replaced.

michowski

Reaction score
Heres some pics of my throttle cable mod. The mods I did was add a throttle return spring, moved the cable in on the bracket so it pulled the throttle straight down vs at an angle how it is stock. With this kit its also adjustable so if for whatever reason theres slack on the line you can tighten it up so it will pull when the pedal is higher. The kit cost 24.99 and only took about 10-15 minutes to put together from scratch. http://www.autozone.com/R,NONAPP4194/store,2591/shopping/accessoryProductDetail.htm

What I did here was take the cable out of the tube. One end of the cable has a stop crimped on from the start. That is the end you want on the pedal. Slide the stock spring over throw peice onto the stop. Next put the spring on the outside of the pedal and and put the cable through the nut, then route the cable through the firewall into the engine compartment.

As you can see in those 2 pictures you slide the spring through the tube and put the threaded end through the firewall with a washer on each side. Tighten the nut on the inside of the truck to the tube to secure it to the firewall. Next what I did was remove the stock bracket for the throttle off the manifold and lengthened the slits to allow the linkage to have a straight pull at the throttle. I took the peice that clips on throug the the slit and snapped that into place while cutting the access tubing away.
You then have to drill out the throttle arm provided in this kit to slip over the arm on the manifold. Once thats done go ahead and slide it on and use some sort of set screw peice to prevent it from sliding off. Unthread it about half way down so that way if you ever needed to take slack out of the cable you can just easily tighten that once peice to tighten up the cable in seconds. Once complete pull the cable taught so the pedal is all the way up and cut the cable to the top of the throttle arm from the kit. I cut mine about 1/4 inch below the top so I would have some room to adjust as needed.

At this point its just setting it up to how you want it. I added another throttle return spring to my setup just for peice of mind incase something was to fail.

Last edited:

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
alot on this 3.0 looks Nothing like mine tho so it wouldnt help me much

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
there was only one 3.0 used in the rangers...in only a few different configurations. your engines just like all the rest of ours.

Simple_serf

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I was just thinking the same thing...They are pretty much the same.

The 3.0 in our 89 taurus was pretty much the same as the 3.0 in our 07, once you get past the lack of a distributor and a different intake manifold.

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
well i was mostly commenting on the difference in the intake manifolds

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
looks can be deceiving. that upper plenum will actually bolt onto an older 3.0 motor with very little effort....and if you strip the motor down to the heads and block...they are almost the same as they were 22 years ago :icon_thumby:

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
wow thats good to know,
so if i like order some performance mod or something for like a 93 3.0 it would fit then, hmm thats very interesting like a forced induction if i can find one

Wicked_Sludge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3-point-GO
Transmission
Manual
well dont get carried away with interchangeability. while the blocks and heads have remained mostly unchanged, the engine management has gone through several different phases...so not everything is interchangeable through the different years.

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
i would like to try and find a whipple if possible or custom fab a Vortech Centrifugal to work

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals