• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2007 4.0 5 speed Front locker options

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
the front diff in 98+ SLA rangers is 27 splines.
here is a size comparison between a 7.5 rear carrier and a front D35-SLA.
the rear is about 7.5" wide, the front is less than 6.5" wide, bearing to bearing.
note the front is only 8 ring gear bolts.

View attachment 57205
This says it has 27 splines, and it SAYS it has 10 bolts, but I count 8 from the picture, so what do I believe? The picture, or the description?

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I looked into finding a selectable locker for the front of my Ranger a few years ago. The only thing I found was a complete kit made by Yukon. They had air, electric and manual kits at that time. It was not listed as fitting the front on a Ranger. I talked extensively with an engineer there and we came to the conclusion that it would probably work with some modification to the cover that came with the kit. The internals looked like they would work fine. It was the cover with the shifting mechanism that was the problem. The front cover on the Ranger fits so close to a cross member that modification to the cross member would probably also require modification. He said that if it didn't work, I would be out the cost of the kit which was not cheap.

I was very tempted to give it a try because I have access to a full machine shop and the tools need for the modifications. I was pretty confident I could make it work but it would take a lot of effort on my part. Then, Torsen came out with a unit for the front differential. That changed my plans and I immediately ordered the Torsen unit. I am very happy with that decision. It is not as good as a locker but the combination of Torsens front and rear work very well.

The front Torsen is not felt at all in 2WD with one exception. When it is cold (approximately 40 or lower) it creates a slight on center steering wheel sticking feel until it gets warmed up a little from driving (about 5 miles). Many people say they don't feel it but I am very sensitive to any kind of steering feedback after racing in SCCA over 30 years.

In 4WD the front Torsen wants to pull the steering to on center, especially under load. It is not problem though until you have to drive a long distance with a slight curve or side slope. Then the arms can begin to feel fatigued. With power steering, I have never reach a point of discomfort due to this.

I didn't want an automatic locker. I have used them for rear differentials in racing and know of their quirks. Not really a big issue but one caused me to spin out in the rain coming off a corner once and that was enough to turn me against them after using them for many years without a problem.

SniperJJ10

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I looked into finding a selectable locker for the front of my Ranger a few years ago. The only thing I found was a complete kit made by Yukon. They had air, electric and manual kits at that time. It was not listed as fitting the front on a Ranger. I talked extensively with an engineer there and we came to the conclusion that it would probably work with some modification to the cover that came with the kit. The internals looked like they would work fine. It was the cover with the shifting mechanism that was the problem. The front cover on the Ranger fits so close to a cross member that modification to the cross member would probably also require modification. He said that if it didn't work, I would be out the cost of the kit which was not cheap.

I was very tempted to give it a try because I have access to a full machine shop and the tools need for the modifications. I was pretty confident I could make it work but it would take a lot of effort on my part. Then, Torsen came out with a unit for the front differential. That changed my plans and I immediately ordered the Torsen unit. I am very happy with that decision. It is not as good as a locker but the combination of Torsens front and rear work very well.

The front Torsen is not felt at all in 2WD with one exception. When it is cold (approximately 40 or lower) it creates a slight on center steering wheel sticking feel until it gets warmed up a little from driving (about 5 miles). Many people say they don't feel it but I am very sensitive to any kind of steering feedback after racing in SCCA over 30 years.

In 4WD the front Torsen wants to pull the steering to on center, especially under load. It is not problem though until you have to drive a long distance with a slight curve or side slope. Then the arms can begin to feel fatigued. With power steering, I have never reach a point of discomfort due to this.

I didn't want an automatic locker. I have used them for rear differentials in racing and know of their quirks. Not really a big issue but one caused me to spin out in the rain coming off a corner once and that was enough to turn me against them after using them for many years without a problem.
Oh okay, I appreciate the detail. I didn't want to put a torsen in the front out of fear of the steering problems in 4wd. Thank you very much kind sir!

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I'd love to hear more about the Powertrax Grip Pro if anybody has experience with them. That's a new one on me and there aren't a ton of reviews online. It appears to be a mechanical limited slip that's quite a bit cheaper than the Torsen and available immediately.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Oh okay, I appreciate the detail. I didn't want to put a torsen in the front out of fear of the steering problems in 4wd. Thank you very much kind sir!
Other than the steering wheel slightly wanting to center in 4WD, I have not experienced any big issues in 4WD with the front Torsen. I have been in all kinds of conditions including snow and ice with it in 4WD. Under power, a Torsen almost acts like a locker and you can create some quirky actions if you get crazy under acceleration. When driven moderately, no problems should develope.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
OP, if you are afraid of the Torsen for steering issues in the front axle, then you definitely don't want a real locker, because those steering issues will be 10x worse with a locked diff than they are for the Torsen.

Fire

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Sport Trac
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
maybe 4"
Tire Size
35x12.5x17
My credo
But did you die
Anyone know the diff in behavior between a helical locker like torson and a spiral gear locker like a Grip Pro?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
The Torsen and the Powertrax are limited slip differentials and not lockers. Everything I've read about the Dana 35 SLA, you don't want a locker in them. It will break things. Mostly the CV shafts. You can get away with a locker in a 35 TTB but you don't want one in a 35 SLA.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
Anyone know the diff in behavior between a helical locker like torson and a spiral gear locker like a Grip Pro?

here's half of the answer, sort of.
I suspect they are both the same, trademarks/patents etc forced a different name.
there are 2 types of geared torque sensing differentials.
one has all the gears aligned in the same axis, this allows a lifted wheel to spin
the other has spur & worm gears at 90 degrees to the axles, this does not allow a lifted wheel to spin

Torsen® Traction

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?

It sounds like you pay attention to your truck and how it works, after decades of trying to get customers to give me a coherent description of their car complaints, I want to give you an attaboy. But if you think 40 degrees is cold you don't have a concept of winter driving in New England and your description of how the differential acts when "cold" should convince the OP to avoid one. You've done him a favor.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
If the truck is going to be driven on the street in the winter, I'd recommend an air locker for serious off roading. I ordered traction lok in my 04 Ranger and found that it wanted to slide sideways if I tried to accelerate at all on snowy roads. My 2011 had an open rear end. Since my 93 is a summer only truck, it had a Yukon aggressive clutch type limited slip.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
It sounds like you pay attention to your truck and how it works, after decades of trying to get customers to give me a coherent description of their car complaints, I want to give you an attaboy. But if you think 40 degrees is cold you don't have a concept of winter driving in New England and your description of how the differential acts when "cold" should convince the OP to avoid one. You've done him a favor.
I pay attention to all my vehicles and keep them in top condition. That is especially true of my Ranger. It has around 250K miles on it and it and I use it a lot on long term off-road adventures. I don't want to be stranded in the middle of nowhere.

I have done a considerable amount of Winter driving in very cold conditions, so I do understand what it is. I have lived in SoCal for many years and have gotten used to mild Winters but I don't think I ever considered 40 a warm temperature.

I don't think the little quirk of the Torsen when "cold" is enough to dissuade anyone from using one. As I said before, many people don't even notice it. However, that is for the end user to decide, I just wanted to point out a minor issue.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
here is the other type of Torsen differential, courtesy of youtube.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I put in an order for the Grip Pro. Availability seems up be unclear, the delivery estimates were all over the place on different sites. Hopefully it'll ship fairly soon.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals