• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2003 4.0 V6 Ford Ranger, 4X4 Not Working

TheKaiser308

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello everyone, as you can see this post will be about the transfer case and a problem with the 4x4. I tried looking up information everywhere else, but I could not find any sources relating to my problem and resorted to posting about it as a last resort in hopes of getting it fixed.

For starters, back in November, I purchased a 2003 Ford Ranger 4.0l V6 with 4x4. Saw this truck on Facebook Market and I liked it. At the time of purchase I did notice that the 4x4 was not working so I assumed it was a malfunctioning transfer case motor and decided to proceed with the purchase. Fast forward to today, I tried fixing it the problem and realized I may be in more trouble. I am new to the Ford Ranger platform and just getting familiarized with the systems so I'm learning as much as I can online.

Now what's my problem?

I decided to see which transfer case motor I have to buy the correct transfer case motor. After reading online, I assumed I had the electronic BW1354, just to verify I crawled under the truck, and to my surprise, I saw that the transfer case was a BW4405-8. After doing some research I found out that the BW4405-8 is for a Ford Explorer and now I'm wondering what a Ford Explorer Transfer case is doing on a Ranger. I'm assuming that the previous owner swapped that transfer case motor from its original for a reason I have no idea.

Basically when I put it in 4x4 hi the dash will make a click sound and nothing else happens, when i try driving forward the truck will just go into neutral and stay there, at any gear. Turning off the 4x4 and going back to park and then back to drive, it will go back into gear with a loud clonking noise. 4x4 low is different, it will engage into low gear and still drive in any gear, but the front axles will remain in 4x2.

Now my question is will it still work on the Ford Ranger if I try fixing the current transfer case? Or would I have to swap it out for the correct BW 1354? Whatever the case is, I am pretty confident I can do it myself. It just would be a matter of learning what I need to do to solve this issue.

Hopefully, someone has an Idea on what I can do as I am lost right now

Thank You very much!

Last edited:

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
It sounds like someone did a swap to get full time AWD but I'm guessing here. @lil_Blue_Ford did and actual Explorer driveline swap in his one Ranger and will have more personal experience on how to get the thing working and what to check. Some Explorers had the 4.0. So, it's not an unheard of thing.

I'm not sure who else has done the swap. So, we'll have to wait for them to see this thread and provide whatever help they can.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like someone did a swap to get full time AWD but I'm guessing here. @lil_Blue_Ford did and actual Explorer driveline swap in his one Ranger and will have more personal experience on how to get the thing working and what to check. Some Explorers had the 4.0. So, it's not an unheard of thing.

I'm not sure who else has done the swap. So, we'll have to wait for them to see this thread and provide whatever help they can.

Good luck and welcome to the forum.
So, I’m not sure what the specific transfer case is on the AWD Explorers off-hand. I can tell you though, the AWD case has no electrical connection or shift motor. I capped off my t-case plug when I did the swap. I haven’t yet removed the 4x4 switch and disabled the 4x4 module. I either need to do that or at least ground out the plug because the computer isn’t really happy about not seeing a t-case.

Early Explorers used usually a BW-1354 if memory serves me correctly, most were electric but some were manual. Not sure what later ones used. The AWD case was a V-8 only thing and they don’t bolt up to V-6 transmissions, only the AODE/4R70w types. Probably other transmissions, but I’m gonna say likely only the transmissions intended for the Ford Small Block patterned for the most part, not the 4 and 6 cylinder transmissions.

TheKaiser308

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for replying yall. I really do appreciate the help and I will look further into the links you have shared!

I believe that the transfer case I have right now is the electronic version with no AWD. But I initially just want to try and replace that shift motor and see if it works. Hopefully it does but in the event that it doesn’t, I don’t want to deal with the hassle of the transfer case being the incorrect one. I will just end up replacing the 4405 with a 1354 transfer case.

Just have one question, if the transfer case were replaced with each other, would I also have to change any drive shaft? If I swap out the current 4405 with new 1354, would I also have to change the drive shaft on both sides? Or would the shaft be a be direct fit with either transfer case.

Thank you!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think they just attach with a U-joint. You can grab the front drive axle right in front of the TC and turn it and watch it engage, and if it's on jack stands turn the front wheels
The TC might have other problems

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
what does the front output look like? and the rear?
98+ have a 6 ball CV joint.
97 and prior 1354 have a traditional Universal joint

TheKaiser308

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
what does the front output look like? and the rear?
98+ have a 6 ball CV joint.
97 and prior 1354 have a traditional Universal joint
Hey pjtoledo,

It looks like its got the 6 bal cv joint at the front. Rear looks like its got the universal joint

TheKaiser308

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I think they just attach with a U-joint. You can grab the front drive axle right in front of the TC and turn it and watch it engage, and if it's on jack stands turn the front wheels
The TC might have other problems
Hey Josh B,

Just put the truck on jack stands. Its acting super weird. When I have the truck off in neutral/4x4 off and rotate the rear drive shaft, the front shaft also moves but not enough rotate. When I rotate the front wheels, the back tires also rotate the same way but after some time the back wheels stop moving.

Now with 4x4Hi engaged the back and front wheels rotate, but there is now a grinding sound in the Transfer case when i rotate the tires backwards
as if the truck was driving in reverse. In 4x4low its going the same thing.

Again this with the truck off.

Hahahahha any ideas of what may be going on? I have a strong feeling this isn’t the motor anymore.

Thanks guys! I really really appreciate everyone who has helped!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think you should tear down or replace the transfer case and see what it does

When it comes to the CV axle experience I have next to none

Also, if your money isn't too tight getting a new shift motor isn't a bad idea, that way you can learn to rebuild the other to save for emergency, hek, I've been carrying a ready to go starter in my tool box for about 12 years

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You might look around a junkyard and see if anything with the shifter you need is available, keep your original and get them both working

When I got my truck the 4x4 wasn't working so they did not advertise 4WD, and I didn't have to fight of a crowd while I looked at it, it wasn't long I bought it

I got a shift motor new for 100 dollars(2006/7?), and it's been working well ever since. I did clean up the old one and it's also been ready to go ever since

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
from what I'm reading the 4405 is a torque on demand tcase, it has clutch packs to give full time AWD.

drain some fluid for inspection.

TheKaiser308

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
You might look around a junkyard and see if anything with the shifter you need is available, keep your original and get them both working

When I got my truck the 4x4 wasn't working so they did not advertise 4WD, and I didn't have to fight of a crowd while I looked at it, it wasn't long I bought it

I got a shift motor new for 100 dollars(2006/7?), and it's been working well ever since. I did clean up the old one and it's also been ready to go ever since
Hey Josh B,

I will most likely do this. Im currently busy today but I may just end up stopping by my local junkyard these next couple of days and see if they have any motors or 1354 Transer cases for sale.

TheKaiser308

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
more info on 4405

Hey pjtoledo,

Thanks for the link, after reading the article, it seems that what is going on with the current transfer case I have in the truck is exactly what the article mentions about wear :
"The BW4405 can show early wear of the rear case by the output bearing, causing failure of the shift cam, range hub, and input shaft. This failure mode may be manifested by popping or grinding sound in reverse as well as excessive rear yoke end play. "

I will go a head and look for a used transfer case as the website states that it also has a speed sensor and that 4405 under my truck has its ripped out ahahha.

Thank you for your help!

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Should have some decent options big as that town is.
I worked offshore late 70s-mid 80s and got to just flying out of Dallas to Corpus Christi. We sometimes had to circle a time or two stopping in Houston, and as many times as I had driven around that town I never realized how really big it was until I had circled it a few times in the air

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals