• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2000 2wd with torsion to 4wd to show it can be done

2000project4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Over the last while I have been looking at the pros and cons for all the different models. The great thing is so many parts change very easily. I am taking my 2000 ford ranger that is a 2wd with torsion bar truck and putting in the 4wd parts I think will work best. My truck is a manual trans standard cab short bed.

Transfer case from a 97 5.0 explorer
Rear driveshaft from a 03 ranger (had to change front yoke to make work with tcase)
Front driveshaft from a 95 ranger ( that way the cv style at the tcase is gone)
Front dif from a 98 explorer ( gears do max my old they are 4.10)
Cv axels from the 98 explorer ( doing this to eliminate the vacuum hubs of the rangers)
Front knuckles from a ranger think it was the 03( put the explorer wheel bearings in it )
Front rotors came with knuckles they where new just turned the rust off save a $

Any questions let me know the build starts this Saturday the 4th pictures will post as we go.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Why all the Explorer parts and not use the Ranger parts? Going V-8 at the same time? I'm thinking of going just the opposite way with a 2000. Someone else is doing the same as you here, Hoosier (?). Welcome also, see it's your first post.
Dave

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
are you sure the transfercase will work? i thought most explorers were AWD.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
are you sure the transfercase will work? i thought most explorers were AWD.
Only the ones behind V-8's but why change from stock. Not sure what's beening planed.
Dave

2000project4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Mac the reason for all the explore parts is simple I'm eliminating all the vacuum parts from
The ranger that would normally fail like the vacuum hubs and such. So the hubs on the explore are just like a car lock the nut down and that's it eventually ill get a locker on the front end. And what do you mean the opposite.

Jraymer360 the explorer started the AWD in 98 before that they are all electric or manual tcases plus if you find one model they have about a 6:1 4low.

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Mac the reason for all the explore parts is simple I'm eliminating all the vacuum parts from
The ranger that would normally fail like the vacuum hubs and such. So the hubs on the explore are just like a car lock the nut down and that's it eventually ill get a locker on the front end. And what do you mean the opposite.

Jraymer360 the explorer started the AWD in 98 before that they are all electric or manual tcases plus if you find one model they have about a 6:1 4low.
The last of the 2000 Rangers did away with the vacumm hubs. I'm thinking of going from 4x4 to 4x2, have two 2000 4x4's, one with a dead motor, other a off-road edition. If not I'll just use the '98' unless the frame is too far gone.
Think the AWD started with the '96' V-8'd Explorers.
Dave

2000project4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It might be but I know this one isn't it was a goofy explore I got it out of it was a 2door v8 with a manual trans and tcase but hey it bolts up.

2000project4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Also if you are wanting to go from 4x4 to 4x2 if there are any parts you are wanting that I might be striping off more then happy to sell some. Let me know what you want

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals