• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1998-2001 Propane Powered Ranger

hwew

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'd have a hose run into the bed that Tee's off the fuel line and keep a propane bottle from a bbq grilled in the truck for a backup in case you run empty on the road...

SVT
The 40 gallon fuel tank will be bolted in the bed behind the cab. I hear you about a reserve tank.

I only drive 200 miles a week. Hmmm, another tap for a BBQ grill.:icon_thumby:

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Good question, my understanding is this engine has a higher compression ratio than gasoline engines to compensate for the lower BTU gaseous fuels. I don't know if the propane carb is designed to have positive pressure. I think the engine will have a very short life the way it is set up.
http://www.edi-dist.com/ford_LRG_425_EFI.asp

says the comp ratio is 9.37:1

stock 2.5 from a ranger is 9.1:1 according to http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/2051-2-0-2-3-2-5-specifications.html.

so not that much higher

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
What about splitting the 40 gallon into a 30/10 tank with a selector valve, if you run empty on the 30 all you need to do is flip a switch to your auxillary tank aka reserve tank...

SVT

Jraymer360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What about splitting the 40 gallon into a 30/10 tank with a selector valve, if you run empty on the 30 all you need to do is flip a switch to your auxillary tank aka reserve tank...

SVT
Or just do it like they do in aircraft wing tanks, leak proof the bed and get a metal tonneau cover and you will never run out.

cody93

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
intresting little engine ya got there, ive heard of the industrial 2.5L, now i get to see one. im guessing it has a computer just for ignition, correct? best to mate it up to a 5 spd manual so you dont need 2 computers, also, get a different manifold, mid 90s rangers had tubular header style manifolds that are nice. and yea, deffinitly get a pre OBD-II truck, the more manual stuff, the better. as for tanks, id have 2, a hi capacity primary, and a 2nd BBQ axuilery tank incase you run out/go somewere else

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
looking at it again I don't see a vaporizer, just the R500Z, meaning it was either being ran on vapor propane (IE off of the vapor outlet of the tank) or natural gas, running an NJ vaporizer should be sufficient as they're rated for 100hp and are fairly cheap.

I build gaseous fuel systems at work, but for fork lifts and cranes and stuff and using GM engines, you service guys that work on Snorkel, Broderson, Versa Lift, Hoist, Royal, Tymco and Schwarze dual fuel or propane machines might have dealt with them at some point, who knows, might have talked to someone on the phone :). So, I'm not that familiar with the Ford industrial stuff but could fumble my way around... I've kinda wanted to play with a project like the one being proposed here, shouldn't be horribly difficult.

hwew

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hi Everyone,
Thanks for all the input. I have been away for a couple days and I need to set some time to get this project going. I will be writing again soon. Hopfully many of us will learn a thing or two about this conversion.

Thanks again,

Henry

hwew

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Just found a mechanical throttle body that will mount on the CA-100 mixer. The cost is under $40.00. I hope to fire up the engine in a couple weeks to se how it runs.

tempforce

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
with your experience with the diesel rangers at 56-59 hp. you will feel great having 80+ hp, with a faster revving engine. 3.73 gears will give you plenty of on ramp power with decent mileage... lpg is around 105 octane, nat gas is 110 octane.
if you ever need to rebuild, buy parts to boost the compression up to 10.5:1 to increase power and mileage... you will still get less mile per.. than gasoline, but will be closer... being a industrial engine you won't want to rev the engine to high of a rpm. cable operated throttle and a large water heated vapor reducer is a must have....
if you live somewhere where you can install a propane tank on your property, get a tank with a filling pump. there still is a tax rebate available for the home fill station. just until the end of the year... the propane company may let you lease it....

as far as the emergency propane source, you can get fittings to fill your large tank from a smaller bottle... you will want to fill your vehicle tank while having the small bottle upside down so that you are transferring liquid, instead of gas/vapor. your transfer will be quicker...

i've been thinking of a mid 90's v8 ranger running liquid propane fuel injection. i found a company that makes injectors for ford mod engines, that use a factory computer and a wide band exhaust sensor. along with some propane specific safety items... the system does not use a pressure reducer... so no issue with cold weather line freeze ups... i do plan on bumping the compression to over 11:1 as the liquid propane cools the cylinder charge as it vaporizes. resolving some spark knock issues.
if your not running a turbo you can boost the compression... as your engine has had done....
keep us posted with your project.
cc

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals