• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('83-'97) 1993 Ranger engine problem.

Carl Allen

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
last month I posted that my OBD 1 fault code came up 222 which is loss ofd signal to right bank. I swapped out both coil packs and cleared the fault codes. the next KOEO showed 111 or system good. I started my truck and did a KOER the engine ran good for about 15 seconds then started acting funny again. I received the 222 code again and also a 998 code or running in failure mode code. does this code mean the ECM has failed and needs replaced. Any help would be greatly appreciated at this juncture. thank you

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I got this off the internet.

Code 998 is only that the computer is in failure mode since it sees a faulty sensor and is substituting the faulty signal. It can also mean the running computer test the brake was not pressed and released and the OD switch cycled and steering turned left and right.

Did you do the required tests they are talking about during the code scan? But they are saying 998 is just telling you the computer recognizes a fault in the system. Duh, it is sending a fault code for something else so of course it see's a fault.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
What engine does it have?

This needs to be moved to the appropriate engine forum...

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
222 is loss of signal to the right side on a dual-plug system. Banks are for V-engines.

If you've already replaced the coil, you're looking at the ICM, crank sensor, ECM, or wiring between them.
Both times ICM failures led me to lose spark from the secondary plugs, I got code 224. I don't know if that means 222 makes the ICM relatively less likely.

The diagnostic flowchart says to start the truck 5 times in a row, and only if it fails to start at least once is the crank sensor suspect.
I would personally do that, jiggle the wires/check the connectors, and then parts-cannon the ICM, but I can post the whole flowchart when I have time.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pictures of a book and all that, but these look mostly legible. I haven't read the whole thing all the way through, but I don't think it branches out of "B", at least.

Caveat: this is the '94 manual. Out of all the other years, '93 stands the best chance of being exactly the same, but there may be some differences.

EDIT: Figured I would also repost RonD's link from last time this happened to me:

Something like that may be easier to follow which wires are which, since obviously you won't have Ford's diagnostic breakout harness.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals