• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 4x4 ranger first pick-up project

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
IMG_20230618_140754321.jpg
IMG_20230618_140923375.jpg

**** me the hole is bigger than I thought I would be, not sure if I should make a plate weld it or have a new mount rad side is top shape but the frame side oof not sure.

16871121947148651661396152925206.jpg

Also what is the box with 2 lines for? Looks like it goes to the throttle body. Is it a fuel prep of somesort or reservoir ?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That box is something I never figured out or knew how to hook it up

I was cruising the most congested bit of highway in TN one day near downtown Nashville and heard a very loud CLINK! and noticed the cab was sitting a bit lower than before
When I got home and looked in that area you are now, found a bedframe type angle maybe 1 1/2 X 2" by 2 ft or so and pulled up on the upper frame and slipped the angle into that corner, where it rode un bolted till the day I sold it

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
That box is something I never figured out or knew how to hook it up
Yeah it's the weirdest, only 2 tiny hoes going to it and 2 caps on top. Kinda want to take it out and open it..

So you rode on an unbolted cab to frame ?

IMG_20230618_181922913.jpg
IMG_20230618_181927105.jpg

God have Mercy that is a veryyyyy wore out cab mount only had time to take 3 out of 6 mounts but I'm gonna assume the rest also looks like this. So now I'm considering making 6 hole new brakets from slightly thicker steel...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
That's what the loud Clink! was, the bottom bell washer popping off into the freeway. After I propped it up a bit with that bed iron angle or whatever it was I never worried about it after that it rode solid again :)

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If your frame is in any way better than the one I had you should never have the considerations I had with the rusted mess I had in mine, at least I had a couple months head start of chipping and painting to start, and a new factory built engine to keep it rolling on down the road, all totally free :)

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
If your frame is in any way better than the one I had you should never have the considerations I had with the rusted mess I had in mine, at least I had a couple months head start of chipping and painting to start, and a new factory built engine to keep it rolling on down the road, all totally free :)
Well the Frame is top shape just places where there are moving parts it's pretty much dead, bushings/ rubber also almost all shot, to be replaced. If I had the place to take it apart I would do it for sure.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
A large washer welded in works.
The box is a charcoal canister for emissions.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm not sure what you'll need to worry with on bushings, likely the cab but then that won't get top billing.
My old twin I-beam had rubber bushings, if yours is I-Beam it probably has them too. Not a massive job but could be done well in a day. I even dropped the coil springs while I was in mine and put some home made rubber pads for them to seat into.
If you are looking to do yours really well try and catch a local antique cars show around town and maybe you'd find someone there just itching to tell and show you all about how they did theirs

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
A large washer welded in works.
pretty hard to find that big of a washer lol or at least that aren't like 50$ a piece , I have some scrap plates big enough at work that should work with the help of a lathe or hole saw. thanks for the answer for the charcoal canister btw.

I'm not sure what you'll need to worry with on bushings, likely the cab but then that won't get top billing.
thinking of it they should last for a while still, especially since I can't really ride it yet :cry: and that I have a few more pressing mechanical issues like having a hard time starting it when I need to move it. most likely just because the starter(new)/flywheel(old) are not happy being together and that the tank is nearly empty.

oh and the driver side door is being a bitch to close, gonna figure out how to adjust the latch tomorrow and do that on friday or on my lunch break

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is the door sagging? It could be the hinge bushings on the door.
Not too hard to fix but can be a bit tricky

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Is the door sagging? It could be the hinge bushings on the door.
Not too hard to fix but can be a bit tricky
Yeah it's sagging a little, it wasn't sagging a few days ago tho 🤔

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Will it shift at the top hinge if you pick up on the door?

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Will it shift at the top hinge if you pick up on the door?
Yeah it shift at the top hinge I'm guessing I could just get newer pins and that would somewhat fix the problem..

But for now that'll be the last of my problem as I got a new one, more like a problem that got worst. Got a half day at work and got the beautiful idea to go and put like 20$ of gas in it started almost right up to go to the gas station but after getting gas starter did it's thing, no start tried again no start. It sounds like it spins the ring gear but not the engine... So had to call my boss to send someone to pull start me.. good thing I already have a new flywheel, clutch, etc. Ready to get installed. Kinda mad at myself for that event but oh well shit happens 😮💨

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Get you a tool box with some tools and a spare starter in it ;) I got mine I think in 2003ish for 65 bux when I was driving the 87/88 one. It still rides today in the 93 :)
Get a spare at the wrecking yard, tear it down and check it out. Use jumper cables to bench test it, sometimes just a bit of sandpaper can get one spinning

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Get you a tool box with some tools and a spare starter in it ;) I got mine I think in 2003ish for 65 bux when I was driving the 87/88 one. It still rides today in the 93 :)
Get a spare at the wrecking yard, tear it down and check it out. Use jumper cables to bench test it, sometimes just a bit of sandpaper can get one spinning
only thing is the starter doesn't seem to be the problem, it's a brand new one (installed before I purchased it) my guess it that the ring gear either is dead or that somehow detached from the flywheel.
for the tool box and having spare parts that's a pretty good idea, not have a lot of space to spare behind the seats as of now tho the plastic tank, fuel tank skid plate, wheel covers and some other parts😅

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals