• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 4x4 ranger first pick-up project

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
A few weeks ago I started searching for a car or truck and I came across a few that caught my attention but not as much as this 1988 Ford Ranger XLT
IMG_20230527_144054753.jpg

Being in Canada it's impossible to find a truck or any used car in such a good shape rust wise, usually there would be holes in the Frame or body ...
IMG_20230527_144727885.jpg

It turns on even though it grinds when you start it, the clutch that is dead and the headers clearly leak nothing that can't be fixed. I just love it, ordered the parts and all got them already but can't work on it yet because of the dumb paperwork (stupid bureaucracy and taxes) I'll be taxed on the price of the evaluation of what it's worth and not the price I bought it from.. :/

It's my first ever vehicle and I hope to keep it till I die 🤞
IMG_20230530_163031723.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Canada was first colonized by the British.. the British who more or less wanted to stay british.. explains all the extra beauracracy and taxes and less potential for fun 😋

Fine example of an old truck though, congrats! Excellent shape for its location. Do it right, and it'll return the favor.

Welcome to the site!

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Canada was first colonized by the British.. the British who more or less wanted to stay british.. explains all the extra beauracracy and taxes and less potential for fun 😋

Fine example of an old truck though, congrats! Excellent shape for its location. Do it right, and it'll return the favor.

Welcome to the site!
Feels like never ending bureaucracy and taxes lol, can't take away the fun though!

Probably the best example of a well taken care truck in years, some abuse here and there but still taken care of. I'll try to take care of it even more starting with the mechanical parts that need to be fixed and then remove the bed and body to undercoat it and also coat the frame/ everything thats bare metal

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Feels like never ending bureaucracy and taxes lol, can't take away the fun though!

Probably the best example of a well taken care truck in years, some abuse here and there but still taken care of. I'll try to take care of it even more starting with the mechanical parts that need to be fixed and then remove the bed and body to undercoat it and also coat the frame/ everything thats bare metal

Use something like fluid film.. no rubber in a can stuff.

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Use something like fluid film.. no rubber in a can stuff.
well I was thinking doing a raptor liner or some other thicker coating that wont chip from rocks and stuff

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
well I was thinking doing a raptor liner or some other thicker coating that wont chip from rocks and stuff
The only problem with that is unless the prep is perfect, any cut through will lead to major rust behind the liner.
Fluid film is lanolin, made from sheep's skin. It will flow back into the cut. Downside is it needs yearly reapplied. But after the first time only reapplied to the exposed areas.

Last edited:

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
The only problem with that is unless the prep is perfect, any cut through will lead to major rust behind the liner.
Fluid film is lanolin, made from sheep's skin. It will flow back into the cut. Downside is it needs yearly reapplied. But after the first time only reapplied to the exposed areas.
I work in a industrial paintshop and we have a sandblasting room so getting rid of 99% of the rust should be fairly easy but would have to take the whole car appart for that. Maybe Fluid film would be a better tamporary option?

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I work in a industrial paintshop and we have a sandblasting room so getting rid of 99% of the rust should be fairly easy but would have to take the whole car appart for that. Maybe Fluid film would be a better tamporary option?

A wax or fluid product is the BEST solution, no question.

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
IMG_20230613_164040661.jpg

Front driver side body mount is totally shot gonna install the new body mount kit this weekend and do some fab work for that mount.
IMG_20230613_164201347.jpg

Rubber feels like Marshmallow lmfao. The new ones are polyurethane so they should hold up wayyyyy better and I'm also getting an inch or 2 of lift so that's a win win situation
Screenshot_20230615-140453~2.png

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey Joe, welcome to TRS!
I saw your name i thought Cajun but then I saw your location, no where near it eh
83 or 84 New Orleans had the World's Fair and I spent one busy day there between flights.
Canada had an awesome pavilion there covering all the French movements to Louisiana prior to 1803, some thought they were in Arkansas and others wound up in the south LA swamps and mixed with the Indians there.
The French and the Cajuns there are some of the best, as well as some of the worst that you'll ever meet, and thankfully I mostly met the good ones

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Nice lookin rig! Enjoy it!

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
The French and the Cajuns there are some of the best, as well as some of the worst that you'll ever meet, and thankfully I mostly met the good ones
we can say the same for most people, 80 % are actually good 10% have a bad day so bad attitude and the rest are criminals or they work for the gov ! :ROFLMAO:

Nice lookin rig! Enjoy it!
Thank you ! wait till you see the end result, probably gonna take a few years to be 99% done how I want it tho

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My previous Ranger was an 88 as far as I can recall. It was from minnesota and so eaten up with rust the owner "just wanted it gone". One good thing was it had a new engine in it, I even got a title to the engine but I cannot recall for certain what engine it was.
I spent the first 2 months crawling around under it (it was propped up on jack stands) with a wire brush and a chipping hammer. Found one brake line had a maybe 3 ft rubber hose patch in it, possibly the reason he wanted it gone.
He wasn't dumb, a physics major at Vanderbilt U there in Nashville, he just wasn't a mechanic,
It was a great little truck, that salt pretty much did it in tho

JoeLeFou

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
88 rangers either have a 2.0/2.3L L4 engine or a 2.9L V6 but interestingly enough the years before they also had the L4 diesel turbocharged, kinda unfortunate Ford stopped doing rangers with diesel.
I spent the first 2 months crawling around under it (it was propped up on jack stands) with a wire brush and a chipping hammer. Found one brake line had a maybe 3 ft rubber hose patch in it, possibly the reason he wanted it gone.
that is what is going to happen to me before the summer ends tbh, do what the other forum members said was the best.
he just wasn't a mechanic,
don't want to shoot shots at engineers but they also wouldn't of thought about it after years lmfao

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
He really was a great young man Joe, he had brought his wife and baby and they had moved into a home there in Nashville, which has a lot of hills. I could just picture him getting in a tight spot with his wife and baby along, after finding that brake line patched with a rubber hose, it is not an uncommon mistake, but was likely the reason he "just wanted it gone".
I went by there just before Thanksgiving and he handed me the title just like he had said he would, and gave me the time to get titled tagged and insured for the 600 mile trip home for Xmas and New Years.

I'm sure it was a 6 so it must have been a 2.9. I did a lot of government auctions then and made one trip 250 miles to Montgomery Al, one about 350 miles down into Georgia, at least two to Louisville KY, one to Indianapolis, and a score of drives down to Huntsville AL, that was favorite destination there at NASA.

On the way there, about 120 mile each way, was a long steep hill, and that was the only place I ever found to nail it into overdrive, because no place else it could maintain it ;)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals