• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1984 Conversion 2.8 L

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Where was the smoke show?
Engine bay or cab?

There are two Orange fusible links, or just one?

Was ignition switch on or off?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Ron, this short in his wiring started when he pulled the computer wiring out. So it's something related to that.

The only advise I can give to the poster is to retrace your steps, everything you touched. That is what I suggested in my previous post. I pulled the computer on my 1984 Bronco and did not have any problems. I did not cut the wires at the computer, the firewall has a large rubber boot, the computer plug will fit through the firewall.

Since you cut the wires, like I said before there where some hot wires under the dash that fed the computer. I would check these over very carefully. I believe they are mostly red wires.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Correction: There are those red power wires going to a relay and the computer under the dash. I DID have to cut those few power wires and carefully tape them. All the other wires just went out under the hood to sensors and solenoids and all that came out with the computer.

Sea'n

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Engine bay or cab?

In both of these photos there appear to be what may be fusible links. I hooked up the battery and there was a pop followed by a good deal of smoke. I could only feel that the Orange wire going to the ignition relay was very hot. I did not see any damaged wires.

Attachments

Sea'n

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What is the function of the (relay?) under the solenoid?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
What is the function of the (relay?) under the solenoid?
It might be the relay for the choke. These engines had full 12 volt electric chokes on them, and they were controlled by the computer. Of course the computer can't handle the current of the choke, so they used a relay.

My relay had burnt out long before I got the BII, and someone had re-wired the choke to the s terminal of the alternator. Even though that is only 7v, it seemed to work ok. I have since gone to a manual choke system.

Sea'n

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Engine bay or cab?

The key was off. I'm going to take a look inside the truck where the computer was.

Sea'n

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It might be the relay for the choke. These engines had full 12 volt electric chokes on them, and they were controlled by the computer. Of course the computer can't handle the current of the choke, so they used a relay.

My relay had burnt out long before I got the BII, and someone had re-wired the choke to the s terminal of the alternator. Even though that is only 7v, it seemed to work ok. I have since gone to a manual choke system.
So I can remove that. Now I don't have to worry about where those wires go. My Choke is Vacuum controlled now. One less problem!

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I’m not sure how much it matters, but the battery and starter connections on the relay are reversed.

Attachments

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wouldn't matter unless cables didn't reach posts easily when reversed

The relays function is to connect the two larger posts together, to pass the high AMPs required by starter motor
So which post has large battery positive cable and starter cable wouldn't matter

But the post with the battery positive cable IS the 12volt distribution point for the whole vehicle, that matters :)

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Some relays are made with a diode to protect the ECU, since this is an aftermarket one, there’s no way to tell if it has one.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, but a Diode is only used on the activation coil, in this case the "S" post, since it can only be hooked up one way, "S" as positive, it can't be reversed easily, so there would be no reason for diode protection

Last edited:

Sea'n

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m not sure how much it matters, but the battery and starter connections on the relay are reversed.
That's the way it came Brand New. I have never changed the relay. It's interesting to see that though. Maybe it would be a good idea to replace the relay and follow that.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I would not replace the relay just to replace it. The new ones made in China have a high failure rate. Most of them now are made in China.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals