• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

whos raced ricers with there ranger an won?

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Interesting read but perplexing how someone can say 1/4 drag is boring. Have you ever been in a fast car?? The launch takes a lot of work if you have the power even on the strip. Funny how people think you slap on dr's or slicks and it hooks. There's plenty more to it guys and gals but you need power to make it fun..... 11 second 125 mph run in a street car is a blast.

Jeff
Much like the first part of a road course race. Except that is where it ends for drag racing so it IS boring.

Jason

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
(formerly) 200
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
It's all about power and weight. Anyone that doubts that is welcome to run my 1.3 Suzuki. No turbos and no FI. Straight carbs.

Daven

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Interesting read but perplexing how someone can say 1/4 drag is boring. Have you ever been in a fast car?? The launch takes a lot of work if you have the power even on the strip. Funny how people think you slap on dr's or slicks and it hooks. There's plenty more to it guys and gals but you need power to make it fun..... 11 second 125 mph run in a street car is a blast.

Jeff
I never said it was boring, its fun. But everyone has their own opinions and some would race on a track with corners to have the best of both worlds. Like i said, going straight isnt everything... Its a brute force test of who can get the most speed up. I just would prefer to race a fast car around corners then do the same straight away.

And yes i have been in a fast car. My friend bought a mustang not too long ago that has a built and tuned 4.6L (not sure the year, around 2000-04 model. Lol im not too familair with mustang gens). Its a fast car and a blast when he steps on it. Meanwhile im stuck with my tired 140 hp ranger... :p

Eitherway im gonna bud out now before things get more personal. I never meant for this to be a squabbling match about what way to race is the best. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, Bro!!! No it won't!!!! I know this for a fact. At 30 psi that will blow up that motor unless you got $45,000 to put in a crap 4 banger. I know motors inside and out and I built some of the best small blocks and big blocks and no way is that guys motor running 30 lbs or boost!!! You can't tell me this because I have built turbocharged MGB's and TR6's when I used to race in SCCA. I raced my 72 911S that I built it from the bottom up and my 911 flat 6 had over 285 hp and it had a top speed of 198 mph in the straights of Laguna Seca and at Sebring race track. My brother-in-laws 02 Subaru turbo is running 400+ AWHP/TQ at 19 PSI and it has a top speed at Sebring of 165 in the straits!!! He has a ton of money in that car and it was done right. I have drove it several times and it is scary awesome!!!. Almost as fast as my 87 Vette that will do just a bit over 210 mph. I built my Vette and it is wicked and scary fast!!!
I ain't talking that guy's motor specifically, I am talking about the lima block 2.3's that came factory turbocharged with forged internals in SVO Mustangs, Thunderturd Turbocoupes, and Merkur XR4Tis. Any backyard mechanic can get one up to around 22lbs with junkyard parts and a stock turbo and longblock. This is not an argument, I am TELLING you this is how it is, just do some research and you'll see I am right. I don't care what you know about turbo motors, obviously you have overlooked turbo fords. Dude, they run 15lbs with NO INTERCOOLER from the factory in XR4Tis. Simply adding an intercooler makes 20lbs on a later (87-89) car safe. If you want to drop a few grand in one of these, you can make some wicked power. Why do you think we have people going through the trouble of swapping this motor into their rangers instead of boosting what is there? I am not saying you can simply add a boost controller and crank it up or wire the wastegate shut and have it work, I am saying you can crank it up for very little money compared to most any motor out there, because the motor is way overbuilt from the factory.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Much like the first part of a road course race. Except that is where it ends for drag racing so it IS boring.
To each their own.

If a nice variaty of capable cars show up, drag racing can be very entertaining... same goes for anything.

I can't see where watching cars zig-zag around at fairly low speeds would be a barrel of fun either, I could see where it would be fun to be in the car though.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, Bro, I know of this site and I had been into Turbo fords years ago and I do know what it cost to get one up to any real hp. The Turbo fords never got my attention. They never impressed any of us racers here in Florida. You see it is all about the cases...they are the weak link in a notor. Too much pressure and they come apart. I remember the first factory Ford that we worked on years ago back in the 80's...they never lasted when pushed hard. My 86 Mustang GT had the 302 that I pulled apart and torn it down. I balanced and blueprinted the motor, camed it, bored the motor 25 (not 30) over and port and polished the heads and the injection system. I used a lot of Saleen parts for my build. I had the crank done by Saleen as well. Bullit proof racer. proven to withstand high rpm revs and my GT hit over 190 mph on the straights at Sebring Raceway. The turbo guys freaked out over my 86...they come over taking pictures of the car in the pits and the Japanese guys that came from Japan to see the racers and brought their cars over for the races were so cool. They all posed by my Mustang since thy said it was the best handling car and the fastest American car on the track that weekend.

Here is my 86 GT at the races: This is at the One Lap of Florida back in 87. We started in Sebring and went to mayn couties that day. 265 mile trip.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Nice mustang. You should take a gander at the setups in that thread, though.. It's amazing the power people are putting down with stock internals.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Hey Straycat, out of curiosity, did have to put mass air on your 86 to get it to run right (with all of the mods)? I miss my 86 GT bad.

Thanks, Bro, I know of this site and I had been into Turbo fords years ago and I do know what it cost to get one up to any real hp. The Turbo fords never got my attention. They never impressed any of us racers here in Florida. You see it is all about the cases...they are the weak link in a notor. Too much pressure and they come apart. I remember the first factory Ford that we worked on years ago back in the 80's...they never lasted when pushed hard. My 86 Mustang GT had the 302 that I pulled apart and torn it down. I balanced and blueprinted the motor, camed it, bored the motor 25 (not 30) over and port and polished the heads and the injection system. I used a lot of Saleen parts for my build. I had the crank done by Saleen as well. Bullit proof racer. proven to withstand high rpm revs and my GT hit over 190 mph on the straights at Sebring Raceway. The turbo guys freaked out over my 86...they come over taking pictures of the car in the pits and the Japanese guys that came from Japan to see the racers and brought their cars over for the races were so cool. They all posed by my Mustang since thy said it was the best handling car and the fastest American car on the track that weekend.

Here is my 86 GT at the races: This is at the One Lap of Florida back in 87. We started in Sebring and went to mayn couties that day. 265 mile trip.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Hey Straycat, out of curiosity, did have to put mass air on your 86 to get it to run right (with all of the mods)? I miss my 86 GT bad.

Yo, Bro!! You talking about the mass flow sensor? I had to go through three custom made ones before I found one that would let me rev the motor at top speed so it would not plane out on me. I had two sets of headers made with two sets of custom exhaust for two types or course racing...short course and the open course. You have an 89 GT? The 87 Stangs came out with that racer boy image and the car scene changed forever once again in America.

I am such a motor head with cars and bikes. Here are a few photos of my garage at our first house. My two brother-in-laws drooling over my vintage iron in the garage. I still have three vintage racers left out of 18. My best buddy is getting them he says..he has dibs on them...lol

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Sweet bikes! Not cool of your friend expecting to outlive you though... but still kinda humorous.

pontiacfieroguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989, rip1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 4cyl, rip 2.9v6
Transmission
Manual
i thought 4eyed mustangs ended in 84?

purplehaze

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
351,gt45 turbo,blow thru
Transmission
Automatic
i thought 4eyed mustangs ended in 84?

79-86 were the years of the four eyed mustang, and 87-93 was the new style headlights on the foxes and also last year of them before new sn95 bodys

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals