• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

R.I.P. to my 302 - What should I do now?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
When you had your block machined last time did they deck it? I don't know much about machining engines but it may just be lower than the rest of the engine, and if thats lower it wouldn seal as well in that spot.But if it was decked it would be level. It might be a warped head too. You might try taking some thing with a strait edge and seeing if it will lay flat across the block then seeing if the head is strait too.

good luck, hope you can find a simple solution
that is what i was referring to by out of square...even if it was decked...the over heating issues may have caused some fresh distortion. hot block and hot head makes for wobbly head....

like baddad said, possible questionable gasket....combined with a possible case of wobbly head...

hell ya never know.

get er in the shop and see if there is any deck left and go from there....for all i know the deck is fine:dunno:

bigmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I'm still "cutting my teeth" at engine building, so I I didn't notice you had already brought that up. I'll pay more attention to what I'm reading next time. But it does sound like he's got alot of things to check out so he can find the problem...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm still "cutting my teeth" at engine building, so I I didn't notice you had already brought that up. I'll pay more attention to what I'm reading next time. But it does sound like he's got alot of things to check out so he can find the problem...
It is good to know what was wrong with it if he can before he drops another in and finds out that it was something besides a posessed engine. Like the water pump, radiator or headgasket installation problem that could cross over to another engine down the road.

I haven't heard much about it on here yet so those that are more in the know might have already ruled it out, but in my "how to rebuild SBF" library they mention it is easy to put a headgasket on backwards and unknowingly block off a coolant passage. That could two simple mistakes in a row.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It is good to know what was wrong with it if he can before he drops another in and finds out that it was something besides a posessed engine. Like the water pump, radiator or headgasket installation problem that could cross over to another engine down the road.

I haven't heard much about it on here yet so those that are more in the know might have already ruled it out, but in my "how to rebuild SBF" library they mention it is easy to put a headgasket on backwards and unknowingly block off a coolant passage. That could two simple mistakes in a row.
When it's installed backwards, only the two end passages are affected. The front passage is supposed to be blocked off to direct the flow of coolant toward the rear of the block and prevent the coolant from short cutting back up to the head and intake in the front. This is to allow sufficient coolant to travel to the rear, then up to the heads to soak up more heat before going back up front and out the intake. Now on a Cleveland something more drastic happens when the gasket is backwards, in this case, the coolant passage back to the T-stat gallery is blocked off completely. The motor will run normally until the trapped coolant flashes to steam and back fires thru the waterpump and out to the radiator, where the cap will be unable to contain the pressure and you'll see a steam release.

dagoof

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
When you had your block machined last time did they deck it? I don't know much about machining engines but it may just be lower than the rest of the engine, and if thats lower it wouldn seal as well in that spot.But if it was decked it would be level. It might be a warped head too. You might try taking some thing with a strait edge and seeing if it will lay flat across the block then seeing if the head is strait too.

good luck, hope you can find a simple solution
Yeah, When the engine was originally built, the block was decked and the heads were planed too. Then last year, when I replaced the head gaskets, I had the heads completely gone through. The planed them again, magnafluxed then and re-did the valves.

dagoof

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
That's a good point. I just don't trust this engine any more for a couple of reasons. First because it keeps having issues and I suspect that there may be problems with the machining or a slight crack or something. Secondly because the engine was built by someone else. It was built with a mix and match group of parts, and that makes it too hard for me to follow. For all I know, I could have a 289 crank in a 68' 302 block with 85' heads on it. Since the block and heads have been decked and planed at least once or twice and I don't know what the pistons are in it, I'm not even sure what compression I am running.

You do make a good point though. I would really like to find out exactly what was going on with this engine. It may help me out in the future, and if nothing else its a good learning experience.

I haven't heard much about it on here yet so those that are more in the know might have already ruled it out, but in my "how to rebuild SBF" library they mention it is easy to put a head-gasket on backwards and unknowingly block off a coolant passage. That could two simple mistakes in a row.
The backward head-gasket thing has got me thinking now. I don't think that they were backward, but sounds like that would make sense. This engine always felt pretty hot even though according to the water temperature, it was running cool. On longer drives, it seemed to get hotter and hotter, and whenever you pushed it hard enough to get it a little lathered, it would start burping into the coolant. Hmmmm.....

I'm going to do a little more checking into that.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Backwards head gaskets on a 302 will not block off anything. It only allows the coolant to shortcut back to the radiator and thus make the engine run hotter.

dagoof

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I checked, and the gaskets were on right.

dirtcowboy

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985,1986(2),19
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9, 4.6, 4.0, 6.8, 5.0x4
Transmission
Automatic
Try this.... on the back of your air gap manifold is a threaded plug. Remove this plug and put in a 1/4" valve. When you get this thing back together and full of coolant, open the valve and be amazed at how much air burps thru. When coolant runs out of the valve close it and run it like you stole it, no more problems. Been there done that.

One other thing, make sure your timing cover is the correct one, they be different for serpentine (reverse rotation) and the correct type.

I'm sure glad i din't know I couldn't 4 wheel with a carb and a c4 back in the 70's, I'm one lucky stiff. I woulda had to wait til the 90's to have any fun.

Last edited:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
One other thing, make sure your timing cover is the correct one, they be different for serpentine (reverse rotation) and the correct type.
Ford used the same timing covers for both pumps from 79 to 85. The reversed port timing covers came out with the 86 HO 5.0 to improve the coolint circulation.

shane96ranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 / 1989
Make / Model
Ford F150-Stang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.6 Triton / 5.0
Ford used the same timing covers for both pumps from 79 to 85. The reversed port timing covers came out with the 86 HO 5.0 to improve the coolint circulation.
Also, the 86 and up don't have the provisions for a fuel pump.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My '87 has the surface with the two tapped holes to mount it, but it is filled in. At a angle it looks like it does have the provision though. Standard rotation pump.

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Yes, some did. The boss is cast in some but the oval center hole the fuel pump lever fits thru isn't opened up. I have one of these covers on my 331.

okietheranger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO
Transmission
Manual
I've put a lot of work into this ranger, and I would hate to give up on it, but with a bad engine, unsatisfying transmission, and needing new suspension, I just don't know if it is worth it. The body would be the only thing that I am keeping, and it's nothing to write home to mom about.

Here are some pictures of the work that I've done:

This is what I started with.

This is what she looks like right now. (I need to put bumpers back on it)

This is what the engine looked like when I got it.

This is what the engine looks like now.

Another engine Pic.
hope this dont sound to dumb but the deal that hides ur wires on ur valve covers were did u get it? i would love and need to get me that:icon_thumby:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hope this dont sound to dumb but the deal that hides ur wires on ur valve covers were did u get it? i would love and need to get me that:icon_thumby:
Most aftermarket companies (Summit, Jegs...) have a ton of different loom kits.

Here is the one I got, it has gone up 2 bucks since last fall but I think it is still a pretty good deal. It leaves them open though, but I still like the look.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MOR-72133/

At least with the Ford Racing wires I got you have to get the cut to length ones.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals