• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What to do with aging explorer

AaronC47

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Cleaning Carpets ?

Hey MachGirl,

If you need a different cleaner for the seats or maybe headliner, I have used stuff called "Folex". I found it at The Home Depot, I think Walmart may also have it. I have used it with great results on stains.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ah ok great, thanks! Yeah, I don't want to use the LA's on the carpets.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i used the awesome on mine, just don't leave it on long and it takes awhile to get all the soap out. but.. the la's awesome... is simply amazing to have anywhere around the house

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, its pretty cool. I'm going to use my steam cleaner to clean my carpets and upholstery though.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I am now forced to sell my mach 1 mustang :( DAMN! SOOO, my choice now is, upgrade to a newer 4.0 SOHC or a V8, vs keeping mine and fixing it up as things need fixing. With the sale of my car, I could possibly trade mine in for a newer Explorer, have my mechanic go over it with a fine toothed comb and see if one is worth it, or just use what I can to fix mine.......

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
selling a mach 1??????? why.....

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Why? Because we are broke, and I cannot find a second job to cover daily living expenses. I have student loans that I have to start repaying this month, and not enough money coming in to do so. We need to pay off a 9000 credit card so that I can use that monthly payment to pay my student loans....it SUX.

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
SOOO, my choice now is, upgrade to a newer 4.0 SOHC or a V8, vs keeping mine and fixing it up as things need fixing. With the sale of my car, I could possibly trade mine in for a newer Explorer, have my mechanic go over it with a fine toothed comb and see if one is worth it, or just use what I can to fix mine.......

Just wondering what to do now. With the sale of my car, I should be able to at least fix the exhaust. Maybe see about upgrading...I dont know.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
I'd almost say find a newer one used under those conditions. That sucks man.. Look for a 2000ish model or the newest you can afford. I'd rather have a 1st gen. But if you like the newer ones more... It's what you gotta drive. I know that the first gen will last FOREVER tho. And fixing yours will probably be cheaper. But how long are you looking to keep the vehicle? If you fix the issues how long do you think it'll last vs how long a newer one would last..

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I don't know how long mine would last vs a newer one? How well are the newer models made?

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Someone else will have to chime in on that one. All of my ranger based have been the 2.9 or this 4.0.. I'm sure the bodys and things are good. I've not heard of major issues of any of them. Except the ppl who don't like the independent rear set up.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Dude... are you really asking this question? Sell the stang, keep your Ex, pay off your bills! If you have $9k worth of credit card debt the LAST thing you should think about is "upgrading" to another vehicle!

tjs4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
that's all fine and dandy for someone else to say if they're not in the same position. My explorer is almost 20 years old....if its rusted through the panels, then its a goner. Maybe I should consider going to a Ranger LOL. I WILL check the panels underneath, see what may or may not be cooking under there, then decide.
My car has to SELL first before any of this will happen....

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
The whole sell the car pay off everything and fix the ex sounds perfect. But only the owner of ex can say if they can justify the fixing of the ex. We don't really know how bad off it is. I know that if it's as good as my 92 2wd, then I'd fix it up and keep it. But if it's to rusted... Or needs a good bit of motor work... Is it justifiable.

ChargerOnDavins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
two 2003, 1 200
Make / Model
3 Ford & 1 Dodg
Transmission
Automatic
As mentioned above, it's the heat shield. Every ranger/explorer I've owned (i am at my 3rd ranger, and 2nd explorer) have had this issue

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals