• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

DBR/Giant 64 Ranger to Explorer

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Looking killer! You'll be on the dirt in no time dude.

Quasi242

January 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the comments. As for fiberglass. I think that my plan is to run a set of Walkers with 3.75 bs at some point in the future. As I looked around, I could not believe how impossible it is to find a 5 on 4.5 17" wheel with anything less than 4.5" bs. Unfortunately at almost $400.00 a wheel, it will be a while before that becomes a reality.

Progress pictures:

Engine cage cross brace is now removable and stock ABS is removed.

Double shear support for the front bypass added:

Checking to see if my 3rd Gen 4Runner Baja Rack will work up top:

kingshitv8

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just ran across this forum and had to join!! Its blowing my mind!! This is my exact build I'm about to start...other than the DBR kit, which I'm building myself. I have a 99 4 door 4x4 as well. have 10" king coilovers for the front. Have the 64 (leafs only) springs, and king bypass for the rear. I'm just waiting to find the right full size rear end. Like you, I had a ranger that I'm using some parts off of, had kids so the extra seating is a must. My issue is I already have the rims/tires but they're 15's, so using a full size with disc brakes is out due to 15's not fitting on larger rotors. What rear end are you running? I apologize if I'm rambling on but I'm very excited about finding this!!

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Just ran across this forum and had to join!! Its blowing my mind!! This is my exact build I'm about to start...other than the DBR kit, which I'm building myself. I have a 99 4 door 4x4 as well. have 10" king coilovers for the front. Have the 64 (leafs only) springs, and king bypass for the rear. I'm just waiting to find the right full size rear end. Like you, I had a ranger that I'm using some parts off of, had kids so the extra seating is a must. My issue is I already have the rims/tires but they're 15's, so using a full size with disc brakes is out due to 15's not fitting on larger rotors. What rear end are you running? I apologize if I'm rambling on but I'm very excited about finding this!!
That's cool. What are you planning to do about the front axles (assuming that you are intending to keep the 4X4)? There is a thread on DR where people are trying to create another source for the 930 CV adapters. You may want to start following that thread as well. If you are ditching the 4X4 then you have a world of opportunities.

Using 10" shocks is possible but may require a bit more work. An 8" shock will allow for 14" of travel and avoids issues with needing to relocate the brake booster. I am using ADS shocks that are roughly 1.5" longer (extended) than the King pre-run shocks that I had on my Ranger. Just that additional 1.5" of length has caused me to shuffle things around a bit under the hood.

I also have kids, so building another Ranger was not an option. That being said, I will be running with 2 seats until I can source the funds to replace the rear bench that no longer fits.

I am running a 2003 F150 9.75 axle. It has 13" disks which require the 17" wheels. 16" might fit, but it would be tight. An F150 8.8 may be a bit more flexible, especially if you picked one up with drum brakes. The 9" is the sexy pick, but I opted to run the 9.75 because it used the same tone ring pickup and the tone ring has the same number of teeth at the Ranger 8.8 (trying to keep the computer somewhat happy).

Feel free to shoot me any questions that you may have and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

Welcome to the board.

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
The progress you manage to come up with is amazing. Where are you located? I would love to come by and see it in person.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Picked up the bypasses from ADS and had them mounted up:

Added brake and limit strap mounts:

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Tie rod was hitting the spring pocket, so a custom one was in order. This will get powder coated black. This was done by hand on a lathe, and no I did not do it. Pretty impressive though:

Closing up the cargo area. The sheet metal will step up and fully enclose the shock tower. Raw metal and summer monsoon storms don't mix:

Added a mount and wiring for a CB antenna. Race radio wiring and antenna mount already added through the roof. I am thinking about stepping down to a 3' antenna. The 4' seems super tall:

Head liner back in:

Last edited:

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Damn man, she looks good! Are you gonna paint match the quarterpanels and fenders or are you just gonna paint the whole truck?

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Damn man, she looks good! Are you gonna paint match the quarterpanels and fenders or are you just gonna paint the whole truck?
Going to paint the panels to match.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Picked up the Explorer today. My job over the weekend will be to replace the interior and wire my radios and accessories. Here are some pictures from when I picked it up tonight. Oh... did I mention that it is painted?

Next week it will get it's final touches for now, a front bumper and a mounted Baja Rack. By next Friday it should be ready to roll to CA for the Offroad Expo!

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Looks that kill! Had any chance to test out the suspension on the dirt yet?

Sampson

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This thing looks sweet, I can't wait to see it in action.

Quasi242

OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
These are a couple of my favorites from my recent trip to Anza Borrego:

RollinWOT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2015
Make / Model
Ford/Kia
Engine Size
3.0L Vulcan/GDI 2.0L
Transmission
Manual
Looks awesome man. Any driveability issues on or off road with the wider track width?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals