• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Project OUTRANGEROUS 4.6L Install / Phase 2

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I can do all things thru Christ who strenghtens me
you know....i looked through this thread for intake and tb details and did not see them...

but the thing is, you should have drive by wire throttle on a 2004....were the ssv setups cable?

this will affect things dramatically if your not using the electric throttle assembly.

i would run a 98 or so non pats pcm and just direct power the diode for power up and use a regular relay setup on a single speed pump.

40/80 are the pins for the pump setup...
Thanks for the input Bobby, I'm always listening and have much to learn.

The 2004 is definitely throttle cable, not sure when they changed but I was scrounging the JY today looking for some pats modules and saw a 2006 that was electronic throttle.Here is a photo of the engine right after I brought it home

Still looking for a PATS answer, the donor car is gone, I was too late to get the PATS module out. Not sure what year the PCM changed but the 2006 is different from the 2004. It looks like I'm going to have to buy another PCM - PATS - KEY It looks like it takes a complete set to make it work.
I'm reading on another site about flashing the PCM and bypassing the PATS. Anyone know anything about this being done???:icon_confused:
I've gone to far now to turn back.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm reading on another site about flashing the PCM and bypassing the PATS. Anyone know anything about this being done???:icon_confused:
I've gone to far now to turn back.

Flashing the PCM? Like with a trench coat? :icon_confused:

:D

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
dumping the pats is the best solution in my view...i see it screw many people around that dont lose their keys let alone guys like me that lose or bust keys all the time.

sct can do it...along with many of the aftermarket wiring guys but they really charge some jack to do it these days. they can eliminate whatever you want so you can prune the wiring down a bit.

that is why using a non pats pcm seems best to me...like a 98 van or something non pats....

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I had to give this thread a 5 star. Most builds I see like this start but never get finished or they do but the person stops halfway through updating stuff and we are all left in the dark about it all.

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Thanks for the interest, I'm so close to finish here and this PATS thing has me over a barrel. Can't believe that with ali these people who have done this swap and no one has info on how to deal with the PATS. I'm going to another JY today and see if I can get a complete system. It's not done till the tail pipes rumble.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the interest, I'm so close to finish here and this PATS thing has me over a barrel. Can't believe that with ali these people who have done this swap and no one has info on how to deal with the PATS. I'm going to another JY today and see if I can get a complete system. It's not done till the tail pipes rumble.
You are the second one I know of on here, I am pretty sure the other guy (GregR/281Ranger) used a pre-pats four valve 4.6.

When you get it figured out keep us posted, may even be a thing for the "good things to know" thread so the next guy doesn't have to go through it too.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
Like I had said before, it would make a great tech library write up.

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Pats problem ??

Hope everyone had a great Christmas!
No cure for this Pats problem yet, my engine donor car at the JY went to the crusher :dunno: and he didn't have anything close in years available. Bummer!
I have gotten a little more info but could use some help here also, the pats system location in my 2004 manual shows it under the dash but I've seen it posted on another site that it is part of the cluster ??? Does anyone have more info on this? Where is it located and what does it look like ? Is it a black box? I'm also interested in finding out what other year Ford PCM pinout is the same as the 2004 CV( I know the 2006 is a different PCM). I might just have to buy a complete set, keys, pats and PCM from one car, could be the cheapest way out. I have also read about being able to flash the PCM with an SCT tuner and being able to disable or reset the pats.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i dont understand the issue.

shitcan the pats....send the pcm in, buy a non pats/trade at the minimum.

the reality is, when a someone does a v8 efi swap is one eventually finds they need a tuner...

my suggestion is moates or tweecer rt.

as you progress, you wont thank yourself enough.

i see guys charging 2-300 bux to turn off pats and other simple items...

no way i would spend that when i can tune with moates for 500-800 and burn my own shit and stuff for others.

pretty sure moates goes to 04...you may have to get an older processor perhaps...but to turn off a few things to get started, and to tune it when you upgrade later...

just a google to the site...http://www.moates.net/quarterhorse-for-fords-p-199.html?cPath=63

call em and tell them your goals....see what goes.

RJAAAAAA

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
RANGER
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
i dont understand the issue.

shitcan the pats....send the pcm in, buy a non pats/trade at the minimum.

the reality is, when a someone does a v8 efi swap is one eventually finds they need a tuner...

my suggestion is moates or tweecer rt.

as you progress, you wont thank yourself enough.

i see guys charging 2-300 bux to turn off pats and other simple items...

no way i would spend that when i can tune with moates for 500-800 and burn my own shit and stuff for others.

pretty sure moates goes to 04...you may have to get an older processor perhaps...but to turn off a few things to get started, and to tune it when you upgrade later...

just a google to the site...http://www.moates.net/quarterhorse-for-fords-p-199.html?cPath=63

call em and tell them your goals....see what goes.
Thanks for your input Bobby I appreciate it but maybe I'm really slow to this computer stuff but it just doesn't look quite as easy to me as you discribe it. :icon_confused: I believe going to a no pats system would require going back to a 60 pin connector instead of the current 104 pin, that's major rewiring all over again and I'm not sure of what works or doesn't. I'm all for dumping the pats but with all the swaps out there this has been done before and I don't know why it's not being discussed.
Interesting reading about the Moates chip, do you do programing with this chip? ( no mention of pats). I looked at a video the other night about a chip that you could plug and play (apparently preprogramed) in the same slot, the video advertised an increase of 30 hp with just the chip ??
I spoke with a shop yesterday that gave me some hope, I need to get my info off the PCM, but he said he flashes Mustang PCMs alot and disables the Pats,:yahoo: now thats good news. He goes in through the back of the pcm and all he needs at his shop is the pcm not the whole car. He said if he doesn't have the needed software he knows where I can take it to have it done. It sounds promising, this guy uses the SCT tuner. Only problem is he'll be on vacation tell 1/9/12 and no mention of cost.
But that's ok, I have some other issues to deal with, seems that someone mounted the shifter linkage backwards Hmmmmm !!! :dunno::icon_confused: What was I thinking ?????
ASK, SEEK, KNOCK

Teddyzee

December 2011 STOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L HO, GT40 heads, GT40 intake, 65mm TB, 1.7rr, Tri-Y headers, dual 2.5" exhaust, Flowmaster muffl
Transmission
Manual
I believe going to a no pats system would require going back to a 60 pin connector instead of the current 104 pin, that's major rewiring all over again and I'm not sure of what works or doesn't. I'm all for dumping the pats but with all the swaps out there this has been done before and I don't know why it's not being discussed.
No, it's not like that. The PATS function within the ECU can be turned off. Either by tuning software used by you, or a Tuner "guy" , or possibly a handheld tuner.

I couldn't share any info, because I've never done it, have no firsthand info. You won't have to re-do any of the swap wiring. I don't know about the Ranger side of the PATS system hardware.

I think the last time someone burned a chip was 1995 ;)

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Question.

Why do people pick the 4.6 over the 5.4. Aren't they the same motor dimension wise?

86 slo-vo

02/2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm pretty sure the 5.4 is about 2-3 inches wider because of the deck height.

Twister

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985 1987
Make / Model
Duh
Engine Size
5.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm pretty sure the 5.4 is about 2-3 inches wider because of the deck height.
Ahh would that 2-3 inches make the motor that much more difficult to put in?

Nice build by the way :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals