Tonight, the 2.8 let me down...


Featured Build Threads

ford4wd08

5+ Year Member

Joined
Nov 12, 2018
Messages
1,320
Points
601
City
Maryville
State - Country
TN - USA
Drive
4WD
Engine
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
Well actually it was Monday on the way to work.

Quick summary. I was driving to work like I have for the past 5 years with the BII. Went to take off from a stop light and the engine stalled. Tried to crank and restart and got nothing, I could have flooded it trying to get it to run, but I killed the battery trying to get it going.

I Fred Flintstoned it out of the busiest highway in town to the intersection with a median to get out of traffic. Called the wife and asked her to bring me my jump pack.

Got the jump pack on it and got the Bronco fired up and headed the mile to work. As I was pulling into the work parking lot and turning into a spot, died again.

Battery was weak and was 7 years old, so I decided to go to lunch with a buddy and pick up a replacement. New battery did not get the Bronco to start.

I could tell I wasn't getting any spark. So I tired swapping a new HEI module and a new coil just as a hail mary to try and get it out of the parking lot. Neither fixed it.

Threw in the towel and got it towed home today from my work parking lot.

Did some initial testing tonight and confirmed with Key On I've got 12V to the hot side of the ignition coil. I hooked up my timing light and turned the engine over, I never got a flash, so I don't believe any cylinder is getting spark.

So, just a refresher, I've got a Duraspark Distributor with a GM HEI module and I'm running the stock TFI coil.

Guess I need to read up on how to test a HEI module, but I tried a new one as well and no dice.

I'm suspecting the distributor at this point. Any tips on how to test it? I did confirm the rotor is turning when cranking the engine. The contacts have some carbon on them, but nothing crazy. The cap and button has been replaced in the last couple of years.
 
Last edited:
did you pop the cap off an confirm the rotor is turning?


condition of all ignition componants
 
did you pop the cap off an confirm the rotor is turning?


condition of all ignition componants

Yes, rotor is turning. They have slight carbon build up, but cap and rotor are about a year old. I would expect some spark, not zero.

I'm leaning towards a wiring or magnetic pickup issue in the distributor.

Just saw where Jim had made a detailed HEI conversion page. I'll check my voltages at the HEI tomorrow with a meter.
 
then i would suspect the pickup coil
 
Keep us posted.
 
Don't forget the actual coil either.

It could have cooled down and decided to work again for a bit before laying down for good.
 
yeah....they do that for sure.
 
Don't forget the actual coil either.

It could have cooled down and decided to work again for a bit before laying down for good.

I swapped a brand new one onto it. No dice.

I was willing to try a couple new part quick swaps in the parking lot at work - HEI Module and New Coil, neither made a difference.

I threw in the towel and had it towed home. I can't work on anything in a parking lot much, always needing something that is at home that I don't have with me plus 150 degree blacktop. It's at least in the shade now.
 
I did have an issue with the magnetic pickup in my 1988. They're not permanent items. New one vastly improved idle stability.
 
I don't remember the issue I had but I replaced the coil in my Duraspark 302 distributor a few years ago.

I tried to do it again this spring but I had an issue getting good replacment pickup coils that fit.

I am not sure what all crosses over but I did make a write up though:

 
I don't remember the issue I had but I replaced the coil in my Duraspark 302 distributor a few years ago.

I tried to do it again this spring but I had an issue getting good replacment pickup coils that fit.

I am not sure what all crosses over but I did make a write up though:


The only thing I dread is the distributor is by the firewall on the 2.8... makes me really wish I'd put a v8 in this thing. 😜
 
The only thing I dread is the distributor is by the firewall on the 2.8... makes me really wish I'd put a v8 in this thing. 😜

Just pretend you have a SBC. :icon_idea:

It might be worth your while to just yank the dizzy so you can fight with it in the open.
 
Just pretend you have a SBC. :icon_idea:

It might be worth your while to just yank the dizzy so you can fight with it in the open.

I dread the thought of that as much trouble as I had getting it in and getting it timed and to stay put.

I think if I pull the carb I'll have enough access to what I need to do.
 
Finally back from the dead.

Been a busy few months and it was hotter than hell in Tennessee for a bit.

Been on the road for work and a vacation.

Just finally got a minute to really troubleshoot the BII.

I ended up changing the pickup coil in the distributor, the one on there was rusted and crusty looking. Wasn't a bad job with the distributor installed, I just pulled the carb off to give me more access. A great tip I saw on a YouTube video was to put a tooth flosser through the roll pin so you won't drop it. Worked like a charm.

Got it put in, went to start and still no spark. 🤦

So decided to retrace some of my testing. Confirmed I had coil voltage and my grounds looked ok.

When I originally installed my HEI Module, I did not add a ground wire to it because I mounted it to a 3/4 aluminum block I had a guy make me at a place I worked. You can see where it grounds through one of the bolts that holds it.

I decided it was probably a good idea to add a ground wire even though I've ran it 6 years without one. Then it clicked, during my parking lot part swapping trouble shooting I had tried a new HEI Module, but it made no difference. I had only pulled the wires off and swapped them onto a new one that I left hanging to try and crank it. So I had no ground on the new module. Grabbed the new model I hadn't installed out of the passenger set, cleaned the old paste off the aluminum block, put the new paste on the new module and mounted it up. Fired off on the first crank.

Just when I think I'm done with the 2.8 and ready to dig deep on an engine swap, I get it running again lol.

I did end up putting a new rotor button and a new distributor cap on while I was working on it. Running great now. I have to tighten up distributor hold down once again as it always works loose, but it ran great.

Looking over some of the 40 year old wiring, it's getting rough. I thought that might be were some of my problems might be, but it was the module. The only dang GM part on the whole vehicle. 😅

Going to get some of the wiring cleaned up this weekend while I'm working on the bronco and press it back into duty on Monday.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top