My 1990 ranger “ first build”


Featured Build Threads

That Volvo turned out to be the best 700$ I’d ever spent honestly lol ranger is have to park until I found something worth putting in it… I had bought another 5.8 but the machine shop said the cylinders looked like ostrich eggs 😅 so back to the drawing board
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2113.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 5
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2114.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 3
Then while at work with my new job I’d come across this mess…. He wanted too much money for it but I figured it ran well didn’t smoke and I could move parts…paid him the 800$ and drove it home ace ventura style 🤣😂👌 don’t freak i only drove it 15 miles on back roads and she would only do 40ish tops…. Poor thing had 3.23 axle gears if I remember correctly and 35s 🤮 but it ran like a Swiss watch
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2115.jpeg
    590.1 KB · Views: 3
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2116.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 3
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2117.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 4
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2118.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 3
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2119.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 4
I’d sold anything I could and honestly made decent money off of the truck….i put it right back into my truck and the 4.0.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2121.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 3
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2120.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 2
cheap oven cleaner does incredible work! But did a full reseal and tossed Brian’s valve cover reinforcement plates on the valve cover. Also bought his engine mounts! Super nice stuff let me tell you! Now comes the fun part! I couldn’t get headers and manifolds I couldn’t order. New York had put a ban on everything almost headers? Nahhh cats??? Nope piping kits?? Good luck! But a friend of mine came through he drove from Michigan to Indiana and picked up these N.O.S bbk 4.0 headers and sent them to me along with an exhaust kit! Godbless friends for that move.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2123.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 4
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2124.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 4
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2127.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 4
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2128.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 4
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2129.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 3
just a crazy find! I ended ip paying 150$ for and he shipped them out for me. So shipping was nothing
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2130.jpeg
    508.1 KB · Views: 3
Sadly the hvac had to go. And this is where it gets hot so good. The firewall I found tons of rot so I cut it out and blocked it off for now….
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2131.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 3
Unfortunately I never got to hear it even run. It was fresh 0 gauge everything and extra grounds too… it spun over like a damn jet engine but fuel pump wouldn’t prime. I sat on the phone with holyford86 at that point after going through my books and jumping pins nothing was cooperating… mind you I didn’t swap harnesses. But always had strange wiring issues. That’s when the ecm bulk head went up in flames behind the dash and melted the insulation carpet and 1900 dash… I was frustrated and furious! So I began pulling the engine.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2132.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 4
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2133.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 4
Sadly I wrote that half buzzed and as a joke but it ended up being the truth… I gutted the truck stripped the harness and boxed up what I could. See if found out I was gonna be a dad so I was PUSHING to get this thing solid, reliable and good to go for when my son was born but it just didn’t work out. I parked the truck at the shop and sold the 4.0 as a swap for 1200$ with all the fancy parts and champion rad and custom exhaust. Guy came didn’t argue. Paid cash and messaged me a month later saying it ran so much better than he even expected.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2134.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 6
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2135.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 5
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_0073.jpeg
    556.2 KB · Views: 6
My son was born… priorities would change, we needed a new place so we started house shopping. And here is where the ranger would sit for the next 5 years.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2136.jpeg
    611.1 KB · Views: 3
About 4yrs of sitting my buddy Zack had messaged me wondering if I knew anybody interested in buying his old trail truggy build. I’d made the deal and it literally took me a full year of trying to come up with the 700$ and find a way to get it 4hours home but thanks to great friends I made it happen and ended up only paying 500,” since he wasn’t able to get the red bench seat I was supposed to get from him. Parts truck is a mutt of parts but I knew I’d need almost all of them to either swap on mine or clean up and sell or scrap to buy parts for mine. Also secured the new drivetrain for my ranger on this trip as his 95 f150 met its end at the hands of an elderly woman who tboned his f150 “ she never seen him” I guess lol.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2139.jpeg
    646.8 KB · Views: 3
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2138.jpeg
    505.1 KB · Views: 3
I give you the last motor you would/should probably ever put in your ranger… ford 300 with m50d
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2141.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 3
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2140.jpeg
    339.4 KB · Views: 3
After fighting 20-30 degree weather and removing everything I don’t need for this swap 🤣 looks so much better if you ask me . Now I’m sure your think… there is no way in hell this is going to fit in a “ stock” Ranger… just trust the process
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2142.jpeg
    479.8 KB · Views: 3
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2143.jpeg
    519.4 KB · Views: 3
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2144.jpeg
    361.2 KB · Views: 2
It’s now June 6th…. Nearly a full year of family drama. Falling out with my old man due to family differences and current events views etc. I was able to stash the truck until I could safely get it moved to my house now. Once again thanks to great friends we pulled it off pretty smoothly! First wash in 5yrs didn’t come without it’s usual… mouse infestation, snake sheds, 3 robins nest and what looked to be a chipmunk or raccoon hiding food lol but no opossum!
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_9619.jpeg
    626.3 KB · Views: 3
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_9649.jpeg
    536.2 KB · Views: 2

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top