My 1990 ranger “ first build”


Featured Build Threads

That Volvo turned out to be the best 700$ I’d ever spent honestly lol ranger is have to park until I found something worth putting in it… I had bought another 5.8 but the machine shop said the cylinders looked like ostrich eggs 😅 so back to the drawing board
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2113.jpeg
    77.1 KB · Views: 1
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2114.jpeg
    107.5 KB · Views: 1
Then while at work with my new job I’d come across this mess…. He wanted too much money for it but I figured it ran well didn’t smoke and I could move parts…paid him the 800$ and drove it home ace ventura style 🤣😂👌 don’t freak i only drove it 15 miles on back roads and she would only do 40ish tops…. Poor thing had 3.23 axle gears if I remember correctly and 35s 🤮 but it ran like a Swiss watch
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2119.jpeg
    367.5 KB · Views: 1
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2118.jpeg
    295 KB · Views: 1
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2117.jpeg
    259.7 KB · Views: 1
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2116.jpeg
    351.5 KB · Views: 1
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2115.jpeg
    590.1 KB · Views: 1
I’d sold anything I could and honestly made decent money off of the truck….i put it right back into my truck and the 4.0.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2120.jpeg
    230.1 KB · Views: 0
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2121.jpeg
    208.7 KB · Views: 0
cheap oven cleaner does incredible work! But did a full reseal and tossed Brian’s valve cover reinforcement plates on the valve cover. Also bought his engine mounts! Super nice stuff let me tell you! Now comes the fun part! I couldn’t get headers and manifolds I couldn’t order. New York had put a ban on everything almost headers? Nahhh cats??? Nope piping kits?? Good luck! But a friend of mine came through he drove from Michigan to Indiana and picked up these N.O.S bbk 4.0 headers and sent them to me along with an exhaust kit! Godbless friends for that move.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2129.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 1
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2128.jpeg
    387.4 KB · Views: 1
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2127.jpeg
    387.9 KB · Views: 1
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2124.jpeg
    320.6 KB · Views: 1
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2123.jpeg
    407.9 KB · Views: 1
just a crazy find! I ended ip paying 150$ for and he shipped them out for me. So shipping was nothing
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2130.jpeg
    508.1 KB · Views: 0
Sadly the hvac had to go. And this is where it gets hot so good. The firewall I found tons of rot so I cut it out and blocked it off for now….
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2131.jpeg
    303.1 KB · Views: 0
Unfortunately I never got to hear it even run. It was fresh 0 gauge everything and extra grounds too… it spun over like a damn jet engine but fuel pump wouldn’t prime. I sat on the phone with holyford86 at that point after going through my books and jumping pins nothing was cooperating… mind you I didn’t swap harnesses. But always had strange wiring issues. That’s when the ecm bulk head went up in flames behind the dash and melted the insulation carpet and 1900 dash… I was frustrated and furious! So I began pulling the engine.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2133.jpeg
    462.2 KB · Views: 0
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2132.jpeg
    382.6 KB · Views: 0
Sadly I wrote that half buzzed and as a joke but it ended up being the truth… I gutted the truck stripped the harness and boxed up what I could. See if found out I was gonna be a dad so I was PUSHING to get this thing solid, reliable and good to go for when my son was born but it just didn’t work out. I parked the truck at the shop and sold the 4.0 as a swap for 1200$ with all the fancy parts and champion rad and custom exhaust. Guy came didn’t argue. Paid cash and messaged me a month later saying it ran so much better than he even expected.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2134.jpeg
    343.2 KB · Views: 2
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2135.jpeg
    517.1 KB · Views: 2
  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_0073.jpeg
    556.2 KB · Views: 2
My son was born… priorities would change, we needed a new place so we started house shopping. And here is where the ranger would sit for the next 5 years.
 

Attachments

  • My 1990 ranger “ first build”
    IMG_2136.jpeg
    611.1 KB · Views: 1
Wow! Can't wait to hear the rest...
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top