Hole in Front Differential :( Rebuild, Repair, or Patch?


Featured Build Threads

Joined
Jul 6, 2024
Messages
2
Points
1
City
Atlanta, GA
Vehicle Year
1994
Transmission
Manual
Looking for recommendations. 1994 4x4 4.0 with an installed 4in Rough Country lift when bought.
I’ve done my research and the rough country style drop brackets seem to have taken another victim. I haven’t checked if bump stops are just deteriorating which allowed the axle to travel up or if they kissed even with the stops.
Tuffcountry seems to sell a better style pivot bracket that I can just swap out for mine. Correct me if i’m wrong but I plan to do that in the future.
I don’t know how long the hole has been there but i’m almost positive the front diff has not been engaged since it has happened (neither 4x4 engaged or locked hubs) but the hole has been open to air for a while until I found it.

So am I wrong to think it’s possible I could pull the diff get the housing chunks out, patch hole, and slap it all together? That is if the gears haven’t chewed the metal and i’m wrong abt not engaging since the hole (it’s not a live diff right?). Or is exposure to the elements shot bearings etc.?

Just wanted advice here, i’m pretty handy and i’m sure I could pull a junkyard diff but would you gamble on a junkyard find?
Any way to check condition before pulling the whole diff in the yard?

Or pull a junk diff for the intact housing and have it rebuilt? For the price I may just gamble on the junk find.

Thanks for any reply’s!
Hole in Front Differential :( Rebuild, Repair, or Patch?
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Latest posts

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top