Does HEI require a minimum of 12v to the coil?


Featured Build Threads

Hoosierman

Forum Member

Joined
Mar 23, 2024
Messages
317
Points
101
City
Indiana
Vehicle Year
1988
Transmission
Manual
As per the title. I did the conversion, charged up my battery to full. At rest it has 13v, under load while cranking it'll go as low as 11.5v. I do have spark (weak) and at both the coil and the module, I have roughly the same voltage while cranking (11.5v).

Thanks.
 
11.5 while cranking sounds fine to me. I've seen other vehicles dip to 8.5 while starting and still fire. Granted you hear the slower starter.
 
11.5 while cranking sounds fine to me. I've seen other vehicles dip to 8.5 while starting and still fire. Granted you hear the slower starter.
Grounds perhaps then? I had this issue with my '88 Ranger recently and that was a failing PIP.
 
Maybe? :dunno: Weak spark at that voltage implies bad coil to me, but I's sure a bad ground could cause it too. Is there any way you can test voltage directly across the coil terminals? Or resistance check the ground pin of coil to battery terminal.
 
Last edited:
Okay, folks. I tested resistance at the pickup coil connector, and it goes 1 or open-circuit. When cranking, each pin while receive about .04v ac steady. Is my pickup coil toast? It was a brand new Cardone distributor from Rock Auto, by the way, not that brand new means much of anything anymore ....
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top