Can locksmiths cut a new key with just an igntion switch on newer laser cut keys


Featured Build Threads

sebastian323

Forum Member

Joined
Aug 2, 2021
Messages
114
Points
101
City
Merced, CA, USA
Vehicle Year
1996
Engine
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hello,

I have often taken bare ignition switches to the locksmith to have conventional keys cut for my older cars. On a newer car that has laser cut keys, can the locksmith still make a key with just a igntion switch I dismount from the vehicle , or is this very expensive and better to get a new igntion with the matching key.
 
I don't know why not, laser/sidewinder keys use wafers same as older keys

Like this: https://img.jeawincdn.com/resource/...75&fm=webp&s=0b711e3a0f535881baa62709c808998b

When correct key is inserted wafers move out of the way and allow cylinder to be turned
So with the lock cylinder available locksmith just cuts keys side to make wafers line up
Then duplicates that on the other side of the key, so it can be inserted either way and work

But I am no Locksmith :)

But if you can get the lock cylinder out then you HAVE a key, lol, so...............................
 
It takes a different kind of keyway cutter to do the newer keys, so not all locksmiths have the correct equipment. You will want to verify with the locksmith that they have the ability to cut the key you need.
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top