302/351w how big can i stroke it


Featured Build Threads

Reminds me of the Honda "Base 50" engine. They make them on assembly lines up to 150cc now. I'm sure some garage machinist has gone farther.
 
Tell me a little bit more about the Datsun ?
Family friend had a 280zx they were dumping because they blew up the trans and couldn't find anyone to fix it. I said "sold" sight unseen because in the USA, all those cars were loaded, power everything, AC, cruise, irritating talking computer etc. Little did I know the Canadians got an austerity spec base model, power nothing, crank windows, even no power steering, skinnier tires, and no AC because obviously it doesn't get hot in Canada.

I had been looking for any possible upside to all that until Curious Hound made the perfect case. 😂
 
Reminds me of the Honda "Base 50" engine. They make them on assembly lines up to 150cc now. I'm sure some garage machinist has gone farther.
cheby made a 500 out of a 454
 
Has anyone noticed all the car shows turn their noses up at 300hp now like it's pathetic and useless? I remember the days when Corvettes had 180hp. Not saying that was a golden era, but geez, let's not be greedy. 😉

Edit: oh, I forgot to make a point. I like thick cylinder walls and short strokes. Go ahead, the ball is on the tee 😂
 
Has anyone noticed all the car shows turn their noses up at 300hp now like it's pathetic and useless? I remember the days when Corvettes had 180hp. Not saying that was a golden era, but geez, let's not be greedy. 😉
like how does that nissan v6 make 450hp!?
 
like how does that nissan v6 make 450hp!?
All this stuff, turbos, VTEC, VVT and other tech. It's really impressive for making power. But for my money it's also inevitably hard on the gear. When I was a kid, 1hp/cube was sort of the magic respectable number. In my Ranger, a 302 that made 300hp would be phenomenal, and I think you could get there without much witchcraft.

Materials and lubricants have limits... I'm just saying "won't someone please think of the lubricants?"

Edit : oh and these comments aren't directed at you or your projects or goals. Sincerely. Just because I'm timid and cheap doesn't mean I don't love it when someone builds a 600hp small block. 🙂
 
Has anyone noticed all the car shows turn their noses up at 300hp now like it's pathetic and useless? I remember the days when Corvettes had 180hp. Not saying that was a golden era, but geez, let's not be greedy. 😉

Carshows are full of peacocks...
 
Carshows are full of peacocks...
excuse me for being a idiot but what does this mean like trying to stand out and be flashy like a peacock or what
 
I don't want to answer for him, but I think he's probably talking about (forgive me car show guys, I love the hard work you put in too) trailer queens with dubious credentials.

I once joined a car club and went to the first meeting, which was a dinner. I started trying to discuss engine specs and quickly realized they had all brought their appraisals and only wanted to talk about what their cars were worth. That was my last meeting.
 
excuse me for being a idiot but what does this mean like trying to stand out and be flashy like a peacock or what

Pretty much.

There would be a lot of stained seats if they did more than strut around bragging about how much power they have and actually tried to use it.

Not all of them but a fair number.
 
I'll go right back to the original post and put a clamp on the humor. Depending on what I had for a 302 : if it were a runner from a 90s mustang I'd just stuff it in and run it. If it's a builder, modest spend on some decent parts, maybe aim for something like a 10:1 compression ratio, gotta be worth 275hp at that level, maybe even 300. Just following the KISS principle.

Whichever way you go though, best of luck, keep it fun, post pictures 🙂
 
Whichever way you go though, best of luck, keep it fun, post pictures 🙂
will when we start building the motor right now ripping the old one out and planning what to do next
 
All this stuff, turbos, VTEC, VVT and other tech. It's really impressive for making power. But for my money it's also inevitably hard on the gear. When I was a kid, 1hp/cube was sort of the magic respectable number. In my Ranger, a 302 that made 300hp would be phenomenal, and I think you could get there without much witchcraft.

Materials and lubricants have limits... I'm just saying "won't someone please think of the lubricants?"

Edit : oh and these comments aren't directed at you or your projects or goals. Sincerely. Just because I'm timid and cheap doesn't mean I don't love it when someone builds a 600hp small block. 🙂
Ferrari did.
 
Ferrari did.
nah i put in the used diesel oil from my work truck into my 10,000$ stroker v8 engine

also wasnt corvette the same way with like oil changes "step one pull the whole damn engine"
 

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top