1990 Bronco 2 fuel and temp gauges dead


Featured Build Threads

AvlAndrew

Forum Member

Joined
Sep 4, 2021
Messages
28
Points
101
City
Asheville,NC
Vehicle Year
1990
Engine
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I am researching the issue of no temp and fuel gauge. Am I correct that there is a voltage regulator that functions for just these two gauges?
 
What I would do first is find the temp sending unit on the engine. It will be the single wire sending unit, not the two wire sending unit. Take the wire off the sending unit, and then with the key in run, engine off, observe the temp gauge. It should have swung full scale one direction or the other. Then with the key still in run, take a jumper wire or something and ground the wire that went to the sending unit. When you do this, the temp gauge should swing full scale the opposite direction. If it passes this test, the guage and the wiring to the gauge are good, the sending unit is bad.

You can also do this same test with the fuel tank sender if you can get to the wiring and figure out which wire is the sending unit wire. Many of the Ford senders use a yellow/white wire.
 
The IVR when it goes bad will cause all the gauges to misread and be off. In the various Fords I have owned, the ground wire above the bumper for the gas tank goes bad, I redid mine and attached it with a 1/4 bolt and nut on my 1985 B2.
 
Hey I looked at this thread when looking at a issue with the voltage regulator.

I have a 88 gauge cluster. The one with the tach on the left with fuel and temp gauge at the bottom.

The issue I was having was my temp gauge would skyrocket at cold start and the fuel gauge would float at in the middle despite fuel level.

I replaced the temp sender, no fix then took a multi-meter to the gauge. Checked it was grounded, checked resistance change with temp sender. Once those looked fine I replaced the voltage regulator. Image of voltage regulator below.

The temp gauge now works as designed and my fuel gauge instead of floating stayed low. Working on the fuel level sender now!
 

Attachments

  • 1990 Bronco 2 fuel and temp gauges dead
    1791472724763.png
    675.4 KB · Views: 4

Upcoming TRS Events

Sponsored Ad

Latest posts

Featured Ranger Based Vehicle

TRS Latest Video

Official TRS Merchandise

Follow TRS On Instagram

Back
Top