Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Bulletins (Welcome, News/Announcements, Problems & Submissions) > Submit Info For Technical Articles

Notices

Submit Info For Technical Articles Submit all your technical information or stories here to be added to our Technical Library

DO NOT POST TECH QUESTIONS HERE!

Old 02-05-2017, 12:04 PM   #51
PetesPonies

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: making an '83 Ranger seem even older
PetesPonies has a spectacular aura aboutPetesPonies has a spectacular aura about

What I posted is correct. If your findings match what I have been trying to teach people, you have it right
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019
Old 02-06-2017, 03:10 PM   #52
HighMileage93

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger 2x4 long bed
I use this vehicle for: Work, Work, Work.
HighMileage93 is on a distinguished road

What I was getting at was that the opening post here describes the "mod" being done to the front coil. That is the wrong coil to switch because it is NOT the afterburning coil.
HighMileage93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:35 PM   #53
PetesPonies

Vehicle Year: 1983
Vehicle Make: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: making an '83 Ranger seem even older
PetesPonies has a spectacular aura aboutPetesPonies has a spectacular aura about

No it's much worse than that. The entire thought process is insane because the original posters of these modifications don't truly understand how the dual plug system works, > They are ignorant of the operation. They thing because you hear wasted spark, that is because of the dual plugs. It is not. Any and every ignition system that uses coils sharing cylinders work under the wasted spark system. It's got nothing to do with a dual plug ignition in a 2.3 Ford engine.A 1960's 4 cylinder motorcycle engine uses a wasted spark ignition. It common and these people just don't understand, It is nothing like they try to say it is. So, waste no more time on this subject seriously.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:03 PM   #54
2.3gt

Vehicle Year: 1990
Vehicle Model: Ranger
2.3gt is on a distinguished road

If one coil is dead can I use this the go on?
2.3gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 12:29 AM   #55
RT PERFORMANCE

Vehicle Year: 1989 Ranger & a
Vehicle Model: The DR1 has 393K on it. 2.3 5spd, on the 2nd motor, and in bad need of a rear end, and suspension re
I use this vehicle for: a tool, a weapon, a chick magnet, a space ship, and a bar-b-que grill
My credo: i dont say be carefull . why would i tell someone not to have fun?
RT PERFORMANCE is on a distinguished road

I been turning wrenches for at least a week now. And I am of the opinion as Pete stated in different words. Most of you folks dont read much. Therefore ignorant as to how the system works. FYI, I think the second plug fires 10degrees (cr) after the 1st one.

cr=crank rotation
RT PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 08:21 AM   #56
8thTon

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: Ranger
8thTon is on a distinguished road

This mod does nothing, just look at the wiring diagram:

The coil for the secondary plugs can be fired at different angles relative to the primary plugs, as determined by the ignition module. Each coil pack is a separate wasted spark system. Swapping plugs on a coil pack doesn't change which plug is primary or secondary, it only changes which is the forward and reverse plug. That has no effect on performance, only which plug gets its center electrode worn out faster.

Dual ignition is used on engines with less than optimal combustion chamber shapes where the flame propagation time is too long to allow complete combustion. The Mazda rotary had a combustion chamber shaped like a squashed banana, so it needed 2 plugs. They usually fire pretty close together because the idea is to get the fuel burned quickly, leaving less unburned fuel. That reduces HC and increases power because fuel that does not burn makes no power.

Even if you did swap primary and secondary plugs the chances that this would work better than what the engineers developed on dynos is rather small.

I don't even have one of these engines anymore, but it was a damned good engine on my 1990.