Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Help Forums - Engine & Transmission Forums > Transmissions

Notices

View Poll Results: Best fluid for the M5OD-R1HD transmission is...
Mercon V 2 50.00%
Synthetic Mercon V 2 50.00%
Synthetic parts store ATF 0 0%
Synthetic manual transmission fluid 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-11-2019, 09:09 PM   #11
Shran
Junk Collector

Shran has a spectacular aura aboutShran has a spectacular aura aboutShran has a spectacular aura about

You are thinking into it way too much IMO. It's just a bunch of spinning gears and bearings - as long as it doesn't have gear lube in it, it doesn't really matter. What matters more is what your transmission likes and it does take some experimentation. Some of mine were better with engine oil, some were better with ATF, most were about the same.

My thought is that higher mileage transmission would benefit from a heavier engine oil and lower mileage ones should probably have ATF. I say that because a heavier oil will help fill looser tolerances caused by wear but they may not lubricate as well in a newer/rebuilt trans with tighter tolerances where a thinner ATF or oil would work better.
2007 F250 4x4 V10
1992 Explorer 4 door expedition rig
1994 Explorer 2 door future offroad racer maybe?
1988 Ranger High Rider - info thread here
Shran is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019
Old 02-11-2019, 11:16 PM   #12
sgtsandman

Vehicle Year: 2011
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver, camping, hauling, & future overland
My credo: Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I. One d
sgtsandman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tonon View Post
Went to the dealer to ask about 20 questions. The guy at the parts counter, who I know has been there years, because I’ve dealt with him before, said Mercon V. It’s backwards compatible for Mercon (which is what this transmission originally took). He said it was about $6 a quart from them, takes almost 3 quarts. He couldn’t find anything on change intervals. Automatics are 30,000, he said, but there was nothing for the R1HD. Then he told me he would personally do a full synthetic and never bother changing it again. They didn’t offer any full synthetic for this application, go to parts store or online.

Went to parts store... narrowed it down to Mobile1 full synthetic ATF. Said it was for a Ford Mercon applications about $11 a quart. Also saw a Lucas semi-synthetic ATF. The first thing it listed on the inner back label was compatible with Ford Mercon. About $8.50 a quart.

The dealer also said that the power steering takes the same thing, Mercon/Mercon V. And finally I learned how much our power steering systems take... 2.1 pints (according to the guy at the dealer parts counter. SO... what say I get TWO QUARTS of the Mobile1, TWO QUARTS of the Lucas and mix them and change out my transmission fluid and the rest use in my power steering, after I suck off the the stuff in the reservoir? I like Lucas products, but I know Mobile1 is good. What would you guys recommend?
For the power steering, I just stick to the Mercon V. I suck the old fluid out of the reservoir and refill every three years when I do the brake fluid.

For the transmission, it guess it depends on the year of your vehicle as to what the manual says. I'm pretty sure mine has a mileage interval in it. I can't remember if the 1998 I had before did or not but there were definitely differences between the two.

I would not do a full synthetic change and just call it good for as long as you own the vehicle after that. But that is me. In the end, it's your vehicle and your money. I'm just some guy on the internet who doesn't pay your bills. What you decide to do or where to compromise at is going to be your call. Me being a bit OCD from years of working aircraft and on my own vehicles, I'd rather spend the extra money and drive it until the junkyard claims it for whatever reason. Vehicles are generally a money pit anyway where one almost never gets out of it what they put in it.
Old 02-12-2019, 06:48 AM   #13
Mike Tonon

Vehicle Year: 2007
Mike Tonon is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsandman View Post
For the power steering, I just stick to the Mercon V. I suck the old fluid out of the reservoir and refill every three years when I do the brake fluid.

For the transmission, it guess it depends on the year of your vehicle as to what the manual says. I'm pretty sure mine has a mileage interval in it. I can't remember if the 1998 I had before did or not but there were definitely differences between the two.

I would not do a full synthetic change and just call it good for as long as you own the vehicle after that. But that is me. In the end, it's your vehicle and your money. I'm just some guy on the internet who doesn't pay your bills. What you decide to do or where to compromise at is going to be your call. Me being a bit OCD from years of working aircraft and on my own vehicles, I'd rather spend the extra money and drive it until the junkyard claims it for whatever reason. Vehicles are generally a money pit anyway where one almost never gets out of it what they put in it.
What a coincidence, I work in the aircraft industry!

Maybe a Mercon V changed out every 40,000 or so miles is most ideal, then?
Mike Tonon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 12:26 PM   #14
sgtsandman

Vehicle Year: 2011
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver, camping, hauling, & future overland
My credo: Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I. One d
sgtsandman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Tonon View Post
What a coincidence, I work in the aircraft industry!

Maybe a Mercon V changed out every 40,000 or so miles is most ideal, then?
That probably would work. I do much of my maintenance based on time for simplicity's sake. Like engine oil change, tire rotations, and brake inspection and lube every spring and fall instead of every 7,500 miles. Brake fluid, engine coolant, and power steering fluid every three years. I have three vehicles to maintain, so I need to make everything as simple as possible to keep me sane. Otherwise, I would be constantly doing maintenance all year long while trying to do all the other things I need to do. It might be a bit over kill but it works for me and I know exactly what has been done and when. My CR-V is 20 years old and is running strong mechanically. Road salt is starting to take it's toll on the body work though. While I don't own the 1998 Ranger anymore, the current owner is still using it for his handyman business and loves it. Of course, being it's a Ford, rust has been an issue but mechanically, it's still sound and not giving any unpleasant surprises.

In any case, that is what I do and it's not everyone's preference.
Old 02-12-2019, 12:48 PM   #15
Mike Tonon

I don’t get that and I’ve heard it before, about Fords having rust problems. My 07 is still pretty much rust free. No holes, no major rust. It’s never been garaged and has been in Connecticut winters for 12 years. I only wax the thing an average of once per year or so. My dads 87 Ranger was a little quicker to rust, even that wasn’t horrible. That had the clearcoat that would start flaking off after about 3 years, though. But I have noticed one common thing. The 87 and my 07 both got rust under the passenger door, but not the drivers door.
Old 02-12-2019, 04:51 PM   #16
Shran
Junk Collector

Shran has a spectacular aura aboutShran has a spectacular aura aboutShran has a spectacular aura about

The frames on the newer ones are more prone to rust than the older ones, and the older bodies are more prone to rust than the newer ones. Just what I have seen anyway. Pretty common to see nice looking late model trucks with a frame that's ready to fall apart.
2007 F250 4x4 V10
1992 Explorer 4 door expedition rig
1994 Explorer 2 door future offroad racer maybe?
1988 Ranger High Rider - info thread here
Shran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 04:56 PM   #17
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute85_Ranger4x4 has a reputation beyond repute

Passenger side always catches more crap.

Balljoints and wheel bearings will usually go on that side first. More potholes along the curb to pummel suspension components. More puddles along the curb for salt spray.

Check out my Build Thread

Check out my NAIAS Ranger Trip

"I have not failed. I have just found 10,000 ways that won't work." - Thomas A. Edison.
85_Ranger4x4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:22 PM   #18
Mike Tonon

So I just came across this Synthetic Mercon by Motorcraft.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Motorcr...d59a%7Ciid%3A1

I wonder if it’s been sitting on a shelf for 10 years. Is this the synthetic version of regular Mercon?
Old 02-12-2019, 05:29 PM   #19
Dirtman

Vehicle Year: 2009
Vehicle Model: ranger
I use this vehicle for: Squishing jelly beans
My credo: give me money.
Dirtman will become famous soon enoughDirtman will become famous soon enough

For the love of #^$^# just buy some fluid and put it in your transmission. This thread past useful 3 pages ago. Its obvious you are going to do what you want, or are just randomly trolling.
Dirtman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 05:56 PM   #20
Mike Tonon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtman View Post
For the love of #^$^# just buy some fluid and put it in your transmission. This thread past useful 3 pages ago. Its obvious you are going to do what you want, or are just randomly trolling.
No, Iím just trying to get the info. Thatís all. I couldnít find this stuff before. Iím thinking itís probably from before the Mercon V changeover. What is the shelf life of synthetic ATF? And does this stuff compare to Mobile1 synthetic?