• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'85 Ranger Restomod

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh the V6 models it's really important how it straddles the frame. Ask me how I know.
I initially had it ran down inside the frame which made the most sense after I got it snaked thru the brake lines and fuel line... but then it was hard up against the trans, pointing back and the stupid loop made no sense. So I just flicked it over the frame and bam, it fit.

I better have at least 20 years before grandchildren come into play.
;missingteeth;

BTW I hit 100 pages of drivel :yahoo:

EDIT:

Not really worthy of a new post, clutch is hooked up and bled. Feels like I have a good pedal. Between my two clutch switches I found a good one, engine cranks with the pedal down. Guess it is a good thing I grabbed two switches... or maybe I didn't have to :icon_confused:

Shunt is in the glove box just in case...

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Snorkels are mounted on the housing, fit looks good all around.

Need to get back to finishing the lid now...

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well that is encouraging. :icon_rofl:

New shift knobs came in :yahoo::

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have been poking at the air cleaner here and there...

Cut out the holes, sandblasted and painted the housing. Used low gloss black on the outside and gloss on the inside.

I got tired of the dremel thing, made my own lathe in the gunroom (heated) and used emery cloth to cut thru most of the staining, then steel wool to smooth it up.

It isn't perfect but isn't too bad.

That one heater hose needs to be longer to get it out of the way of both the coil and air cleaner but otherwise it fits good.

I need to get a regular wing nut, this one doesn't fit the lid well and wants to hit on the angled part.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I like the improvised lathe.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
She runs! (its a video, for me it works when I click on it... your results may vary)

I put it in FWD to test the clutch function before I tried to move it.

I don't have a clamp on one exhaust pipe so it makes a little noise. It is VERY humid and the truck was dripping wet inside and out and the steam was that cooking off the headers/exhaust. Having not ran since July it really started pretty good, I was getting nervous about the carb gumming up.

She drives too!

Inner fender and wheel arch trim is back on, longer heater hose is installed, lower radiator hose is replaced (had been rubbing on the steering box so I tried a little longer one) and one snorkel is prototyped.

Tomorrow's plan is to run it back outside and check the exhaust for leaks before buttoning that up and so I can squeak the back of the F-150 in the garage to deal with this:

1qaz

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not much has moved on the truck. The weather hasn't been very cooperative, it stays cold and keeps snowing. Right now it is 20* and we are supposed to get 8-10" tonight... makes an unheated 1940's garage/shack rather inhospitable. I did get the mounting hardware for the passenger sie intake tube sandblasted and painted but that isn't much to write home about. Trailer at work is buried in snow and my road is sketchy so progress on the floor is still at a standstill. :annoyed:

BUT I did start planning how to load my truck for Ohio. I have three black and yellow "tough totes" from Sam's for camping gear and truck spare parts and snagged a camp kitchen from a customer. Toolbox will be my JY toolbox. Tent and groundcloth will be stored beside the tires to the front. Room for luggage and and a cooler at the back with a lot of room above everything (provided I find a topper)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Nice. A rack and a roof top tent on that would look pretty sweet, just sayin! :D

I got my 205 and NP435 rebuilt and my twin stick rails are installed, just waiting on my clutch kit to get here from RockAuto so I can put it all back together. Then we can officially start the 1st gen 3 stick great plains mafia!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Nice. A rack and a roof top tent on that would look pretty sweet, just sayin! :D
I lightly checked into a RTT... they don't give them things away. Then I floated the idea past the wife and she rapidly shot it down since she does not do ladders especially at night. Not sure how well it would work with my lab either... although it would be nice when her little dog feels the need to answer coyotes. :fie:

My big concern for the Ohio trip is dry somewhat secure storage. Otherwise a standard cab truck with two people doesn't have much more room than a motorcycle to keep gear dry and out of sight. And toppers are cheap. :icon_thumby:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I thought I'd help you get to your 1000th post!
Congrats on the build so far and thanks for all the pics!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I got my 205 and NP435 rebuilt and my twin stick rails are installed, just waiting on my clutch kit to get here from RockAuto so I can put it all back together. Then we can officially start the 1st gen 3 stick great plains mafia!
Got interrupted and didn't get to this...

Sounds good on your projects, I was wondering how it was going. We outta co-write a writeup on twin sticking since we between the two of us we did pretty much both options.

I searched and searched before I did mine trying to see how the kit fit and there was nothing out there about people using it in a RBV of any year and Ford info in general was sparce. I found a writeup online about DIY twin sticking a Chevy 205 (modifying the rails) and applied it to mine, Chevy is just a mirrored Ford (PS drop). Found another writeup (again Chevy) about making your own levers.

I thought I'd help you get to your 1000th post!
Congrats on the build so far and thanks for all the pics!
Thanks and you are welcome. :icon_thumby:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
From what I have seen so far, the JB Custom shifter I am using will have zero clearance issues. I had a lot of room around the stock 205 shifter. I thought about modifying my own rails but ended up just opting for new ones... it's less that I have to mess with. Sure was expensive but worth it in terms of time I think. Should definitely do a writeup together. I may have been a little high on paint thinner and propane fumes during my build so I haven't taken any pictures though...

The 205 I rebuilt was pretty bad. I think it was full of mud. The needle bearings on both main shafts were rusted so bad that they would not move and the t-case was permanently locked into 4 high. A full day of running stuff through the parts washer, wire brushing, emery cloth and a bearing/seal kit got it functional again (I hope.) Figuring out how to put it back together was fun - I had no idea how it came apart because there was so much mud, rust and sludge inside it.

I figured the 435 would be just as bad so I ordered a bearing and synchro kit for it. Then disassembled to find that everything was in super nice shape. Definitely a welcome surprise. I will probably just go through the one that was in the truck and use up the new bearings in it instead and keep it as a spare. Not that I need to, these things are brutes.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Modifying the rails was easy, I don't know if I had more than half an hour in that. Planning and executing the levers and linkage took some time though.

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
A topper would be the way to go for camping. I don't know that I would drive to Ohio and wheel it with one, although I've seen it done.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals