• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Two keys?

Pete99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 2003 Ranger has two keys, one square head for the door and one fat head for the ignition.

My previous Ranger (1997) had one square head for both.

Is this a feature or a bug? That is, did someone re-key the doors, or would this ever have been set up this way to start?

Side question: are square head keys ever chip keys?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15

By "square head key" I am going to assume you mean the style on the left, and by "fat head key" the one on the far right.

No, the key pictured at the far left is never going to have the security chip.

If they don't both open the door and work the ignition then it is likely that at some point the ignition lock was damaged and had to be replaced, which at the time required a new key that came with the lock. That year should have only had one key for both doors and ignition.

jeremysdad

ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

By "square head key" I am going to assume you mean the style on the left, and by "fat head key" the one on the far right.

If they don't both open the door and work the ignition then it is likely that at some point the ignition lock was damaged and had to be replaced, which at the time required a new key that came with the lock. That year should have only had one key for both doors and ignition.
New door lock cylinders (aftermarket, old square headed Ford key), PATS for igniiton.

OT...Hate my 93...damn regular cab trucks should have 1 key for doors and ignition! lol

ETA: My '02 had the key 3rd from left.

2nd Edit: This is what I see in my head if someone says 'square ford key': http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/ProductPage.aspx?product=F2184

Common to aftermarket door cylinder replacements/locksmith door re-keys. They used the same door cylinder for decades.

Last edited:

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2003 equals PATS. PATS equals keys that "talk" to the computer. No talk, no start. Truck came with two keys that talk (and also worked the doors). If the owner was smart they immediately bought another key and programed it to work with the truck. If you have two keys you can program another (owner's manual). If only one, dealer or locksmith has to do it. And in this state you need proof of ownership to get that done (Oh, that's locked in the vehicle!!).

Example: Daughter has a new dart. Lost key, couldn't find second key. $600 later, for opening door and towing , two keys and programing, she had her car back. Since around 98 losing keys is a big deal.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
New door lock cylinders (aftermarket, old square headed Ford key), PATS for igniiton.

OT...Hate my 93...damn regular cab trucks should have 1 key for doors and ignition! lol

ETA: My '02 had the key 3rd from left.

2nd Edit: This is what I see in my head if someone says 'square ford key': http://www.rarespares.net.au/rarespares/ProductPage.aspx?product=F2184

Common to aftermarket door cylinder replacements/locksmith door re-keys. They used the same door cylinder for decades.
Mine has two keys, it is kind of a neat thing I think. I remember when they all had two keys.

Cool website. :icon_thumby:

2003 equals PATS. PATS equals keys that "talk" to the computer. No talk, no start. Truck came with two keys that talk (and also worked the doors). If the owner was smart they immediately bought another key and programed it to work with the truck. If you have two keys you can program another (owner's manual). If only one, dealer or locksmith has to do it. And in this state you need proof of ownership to get that done (Oh, that's locked in the vehicle!!).

Example: Daughter has a new dart. Lost key, couldn't find second key. $600 later, for opening door and towing , two keys and programing, she had her car back. Since around 98 losing keys is a big deal.
I keep a unchipped key in my wallet for my DD. If I lock the keys in no big deal, if I lost them I could sit inside the truck and listen to the radio until help got there.

It will crank but will not fire, I had to check. :icon_thumby:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
A lot of locksmiths can't actually program new keys, what they do is "clone" the one you didn't lose. That means while you still have two keys that start the vehicle the computer can't tell them apart and you can't use the customer programming to make a 3rd because the computer thinks the original and the locksmith unit are the same key.

Pete99

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

Yes on the square head, but the fat head (chip) key is the second from right.

Having had a '97 Ranger with one, I felt 99% sure there was no chip technology in the left-hand key, but some lazy dolt at Lowe's refused to accept this (and had some machine that he claimed confirmed this).

I think ultimately I'll get the door cylinders replaced. It's not the inconvenience that bugs me, it's that I'm more loss-vulnerable with needing both (though the clicker largely obviates the need for the door key) than I am with one universal key.

Thanks for all the helpful replies.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals