• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

seized compressor

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
Out for the first real test drive after swapping the motor in the ranger. There was an accessory drive noise that I hadn't isolated. On the short trip, I noticed smoke from under the hood and a burning smell. Turns out the compressor pulley had stopped turning and the belt was smoking on the pulley. I didn't have the climate control on any defrost or A/C. I guess this means the compressor is locked up and the clutch in the pulley or its bearing has also failed.

I also got a P1151 check engine light that came on... probably different issue and will look into that also.

I have a spare compressor from my Explorer parts vehicle. Strange thing there is two of four mounting bolts broke. That alone shouldn't matter except for the fact that the compressor cannot be removed from the bracket. There is so much corrosion between the broken bolt ( non-threaded part) and the compressor that it is stuck. really stuck

So finally to my question.
I want to get the Ranger back on the road. Is an option to swap the clutch pulleys on the compressors. If I was able to do that, I would have a free spinning pulley, but would be a mess if the clutch ever engaged. Can that be disabled with a fuse, or something else?
Other option is to free compressor #2 from its mount and then swap. I will probably not worry about the A/C system until it gets warmer, so either way I won't have A/C any time soon.

Thanks as always for the help.

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
The compressor clutch when not "on" electrically, should spin free. Unplug it.

But it's most likely too late if y'all or others ran the comp w/o refrigerant. It will lock up in short order.

special tools required to remove the pulley and clutch from the compressor most people just change the whole assembly. you want to make sure the compressor you're putting on turns and has refrigerant oil in it you should be able to tell by turning the shaft with a wrench on the front of the pulley.
I would say it's pretty unusual for compressor clutch bearing to lock up! Make sure it's not wired wrong. BEFORE you put a replacement or new one on there! Good luck!

Last edited:

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Get a belt for a non A/C truck and bypass the compressor.

backporch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Off Road
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
245 75R16
Right now the belt is off and with the two wiring connectors unplugged, the compressor pulley will not spin at all. The pulley is frozen solid. Wouldn't that indicate that both the compressor and clutch or bearing have both failed?

The non-A/C belt is a great idea... and easy. thanks neighbor!

I was under the impression that an empty uncharged compressor should not engage so there is no risk of burning it out. I thought the risk was a compressor properly charged but low on oil. Maybe that is a toyota thing?

If I take the wiring connector right next to the pulley off, there should be no issue with the clutch engaging?

If I get the other compressor free, I would put that on, but I wasn't planning on charging the system till later. Wanted to make sure that a compressor without a charge cannot be destroyed

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
Correct, the pulley should spin free when there is no electric applied to the clutch connector.

Even if the compressor seized the pulley should still spin freely without electric.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I've seen more than one instance of the clutch failing and sticking in a partially engaged position, which will do what you are describing, including the part where it stays stuck when unplugged.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals