Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > 1983-2011 Off-Road & 4x4 Ford Ranger's

Notices

1983-2011 Off-Road & 4x4 Ford Ranger's Instagram and facebook are ok, but it's hard for people to follow the details of your build. Show of your trucks, or post your build threads here.

This is NOT a help forum. Post your questions in the Help Forums further down

Old 02-14-2019, 11:26 AM   #61
Grunizzle
01/2013 OTOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1991
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger, super cab, STX
I use this vehicle for: DD, camping, wheeling,
Grunizzle will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbypsi View Post
Well its been at least 10 yrs since I owned that truck so im a little foggy on my 4.0 knowledge now....Im not sure Id run a stock spring with any aftermarket cam. On my 422 I went with what Comp recommended and just dropped everything for the heads off at my engine builders. I will say the power gain was very noticeable and in hindsight I think a bigger set of injectors and a tuner would have been a really good idea for that truck to take full advantage. Had the transmission issues not plagued the truck that would of been my next step for sure.

I try to focus more on whats the most reliable setup over whats the most power per dollar anymore. I have spent to many days and dollars fixing stupid little things on my of road trucks in the past that could have been avoided if I just spent my money smarter.

You have seen my truck and Im not embarrassed to say I am easily well past $10K into building it. Crazy? Stupid? I say no. But I spent the money in the best places I feel.

Bare bones interior with junkyard seats? Yep so I could spend $1k on good gauges and radio.

I spent over $2k just with DUFF so I knew my suspension was the best I could get. No junkyard parts.

I rebuilt my own 5.0 back to stock for less than $800 and only have maybe 250hp. Dumb? Not when that meant I could put the money saved into a bullet proof c4 trans Id never have to worry about.

I have $1500 RCV axles in my d44 and a full spool and Superior chromoly shafts in my 9". I have gotten crap from people saying it was stupid to spend that kind of money on those axles when I could have just used 1 ton axles. Well for a truck only on 35s I dont see the need for the bigger ,heavier,more expensive axles and now mine are 100% new with life time warranty on many of those parts. Worrying about my axles is the last thing on my mind when Im wheeling now.

Spend the money wisely and you wont care what the total is in the end. The reward is a truck that wont end up frustrating you and be so much more enjoyable!

So many words of wisdom right here. I feel the same way!
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Supporting Member.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 29781F0E77DE4B Expires: March 31, 2019
Old 02-18-2019, 05:54 AM   #62
bobbywalter
RBV Technical Advisor

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGERISH SORT OF THING
I use this vehicle for: EVERYTHING
My credo: it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
bobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to beholdbobbywalter is a splendid one to behold

i wish i would have read this before responding to the other thread.

88 ranger ext cab low rider 4x4 propelled by 395 cubes of of non turbo SLOBBERIN DIESEL...BLAHHH...motating a 4l80 thats AUTHORITATIVELY turnin a ford 208 spinning 410 open dana 60s and whatever tire suits the mood that day. how ya like me now?
bobbywalter is offline   Reply With Quote