• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

worn out grinder

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is there a way to replace the brushes on this? They were just kind of stuck on the spinning thing (I'm good with words, I know) Its a grinder and it would bog down with even the smallest load. After taking it apart, there was only one brush. So the question is are these replacable?

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 25th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, they are replaceable.

I fried a bunch of cheap grinders and then bought a DeWalt for about $120. It was very powerful and I loved it. And it died. And I sourced the parts, which was easy to do, and the parts were very close to the cost of a new machine.

So i went back to frying cheap grinders. I bought a $30 7" grinder I use for hard jobs. It draws 15 amps and with a 4 1/2" wheel it is ferocious--much stronger than my DeWalt. I have a couple $20 4 1/2" things--I keep one with a cut-off wheel and one with a wire wheel.

That's the best grinding value in my opinion. A 7" cheapo for the hard grinding jobs and a pair of 4 1/2" cheapos for the cutting and cleaning. The DeWalt could do them all, but it's dead. Using human waves of Chinese grinders is more cost effective.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is a bench grinder, kmart edition. Old enough that it probably was made in the states. But how do I stick the brushes back on the armature( ?spinning thingy?) And my new dewalt angle grinder is made in china!! with all accessories made in taiwan

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I see no windings on the armature which would make it a histerisis motor ie. no brushes. the problem must be either in the stater or if it has a run condenser, the condenser might be gone.

Dangeranger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So is this not a brush? It looks to me like there was supposed to be one on the other side but it fell off or disappeared.

reno

Reaction score
That picture shows the ARMATURE, the brushes are peices of carbon with a spring and electrical wire attached and is normally held in by a screw. Sounds like it would be cheaper and easier just to buy another one (grinder). I bought a B&D Quantum about 8 or 10 years ago and use it about 2 - 10 hours a week and is still running strong. I have a bench grinder and a 4 1/2" grinder (The Quantum). It is a pain in the rear finding the correct brushes, then putting them in, the armature has to be clean, if it went bad, you are wasting your time.

I did not read all of this, but seems informative to help you out.....
http://search.netscape.com/search/redir?src=websearch&requestId=a801d661bd4f7ca9&clickedItemRank=4&userQuery=how+to+test+a+armature&clickedItemURN=http://www.eeco-net.com/eec/uploads/DC%20Troubleshooting.doc&title=Direct+Current+Motor+Troubleshooting&moduleId=matchingsites.jsp.M&clickedItemPageRanking=4&clickedItemPage=1&clickedItemDescription=WebResults

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals