• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Working out after surgery

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
After my combined knee and shoulder surgery last fall the doctor advised that I should loose a few pounds and strengthen up a little. He said the lesser weight would be easier on my knees and stronger muscles would help also.

I actually started go to the gym a couple months ago.

I'm down six pounds and strength is starting to improve. I can now squat 400lbs. I'm doing 3 reps of 10 at 300lbs. Not bad for a 43 year old.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Light weights is all you really need to do. With those injuries you sustained you are asking for a repeat. I used to do single bar arm curls with 220 lbs and bench press 400 lbs. I could squat 600 lbs. My buddies always called me the human fork lift. When you get older you are more likley to injure yourself lifting too much. The lightweight training is better for you. Ride a mountain bike and do some nice quick walks. Your body will say 'Thanks' later in life. I ride a mountain bike for 30 miles three days a week. I can ride better than I can walk with my spinal and pelvis injuries.
I have 18 inch biceps now. I had 20 inch guns for a long time when I really worked out. I only use 5-10 lbs weights and do light training three days a week. I find that I am in much better shape now and have less strains doing the light workouts. My energy level is much better after a workout. When I used to abuse myself with heavy training I was always fatigued for some time. Now when I do my workouts I fell so much better after a workout and want to do my workouts. I weigh 200 lbs and I have a 34 inch waist (had it for over 40 years now). I am 6' 2".

Just don't over do it, Bro.

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yea I know. I just would like to bulk up a little as long as I'm at it. I too amd 6'2" and a 34 in waist at 202 lbs. I used to be 185 lbs with a 30-32" waist. I'd like to get down to 190 lbs. I do also do cardio. I just need to drop some weight. 43 is a tough year.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
After my combined knee and shoulder surgery last fall the doctor advised that I should loose a few pounds and strengthen up a little. He said the lesser weight would be easier on my knees and stronger muscles would help also.

I actually started go to the gym a couple months ago.

I'm down six pounds and strength is starting to improve. I can now squat 400lbs. I'm doing 3 reps of 10 at 300lbs. Not bad for a 43 year old.

Well......I have a bad back.....left shoulder needs surgery.....right-front paw hurts real bad....5'9.....gained 50 pounds (American)....got 50 pounds (British) in the bank......weigh 170 pounds (after gaining the 50--Viet Nam related illnesses)....can bench press the bar with no bells on it....can squat but caint get up...pass by the gym everyday on the way to Sonic...strength is staring.....starting to improve...got a 30" waist (but I got a small frame...I said FRAME...so the 30" waist don't count)...my dog ran away (kinda)...and I love my job (just lied)...I did buy a mat to start home exercises (4 years ago...it's around here....somewhere)....time for my meds--gotta go!

doorgunner

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......I forgot................60.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What I've done to protect my joints is stop using barbells. I've also stopped trying to get stronger and lift only for mainenance, though not with 5-10#. I have a pair of 100# dumbells I use for benchpress, squats, deadlifts and shrugs. I use 50s for arm curls and 30s for things like shoulder raises, flys and even military press as my rotator cuffs aren't what they used to be. I have a lat machine since my elbows won't let me do pullups, and a dip bar because I can still do those just fine.

When I was younger I messed with heavy stuff, but I started spending more time nursing tweaked parts than I did working out. I got to the point that I could hardly drive because my elbows would suddenly lock up. A breakfast of gelatin and ibuprofin helped, but taking it easy and switching to glucosamine chondroitin has really seemed to have allowed parts to repair.

I lift about 20 minutes a day doing 3x8s and about 5 excercises, no pausing, and then either run 10 minutes or row for 10 minutes. Since I'm all ready warmed up from lifting, I can go full speed. My wife still goes out and pounds the pavement for miles and miles, but my hips and shoulders start barking much sooner.

I'm 5'9 200#. I won't fill you with long anecdotes of my allegedly glorious past, but I'm keeping in decent shap for being where I am in life. I could probably drink a little less beer and get back into my uniform jackets, though the eagles on the buttons might strain a little.

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I think I could drop weight a lot faster if I stopped drinking. The problem is that I'm not going to stop drinking. I only have a couple a day, it's just that I like having a couple a day and they are usually just before bed. I can't run anymore. The knees just won't take it. I walk a lot. I wish I could run but age has just not been nice. The one thing I really want to do is get rid of the little bit of a paunch that I've picked up. It seems that the weight gain started soon after I met my now wife. I believe the problem is that she shops. Not clothes or anything crazy, she goes to the grocery store. There is now food around the house. I used to always shop by the day. I'd buy food depending on what I was hungry for that day. Now when I'm hungry I just go to the refrigerator and it's a damn cornucopia. Freekin 1am nachos are what my problem is (and washing it down with a couple margaritas).

Also, Gunner........................:icon_rofl:

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
......43 is a tough year.
Age is nothing but a number. At 43, I was riding a century (100 miles) just about every week & actually got down to 155 pds before Thanksgiving. Cardio is great at any age-
P.S. I am now 200 pds & 6'1.....no excuses here....

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Everyone is built differently. My younger brother is 6'1 and my older is 6'3, so I don't know how I got to be 5'9. I'm bigger than them, they are just taller. I'm the least fat, and the heaviest. That's just one family.

Definately need some cardio, no matter what. My wife's treadmill is good, though I don't remember the brand. When she runs on it it's tap-tap-tap. When I run on it's boom-boom-boom. It has a lot of give, which cushions things. It has a big platform, too.

The thing I bought was the rowing machine. That thing is awesome. It's a Concept 2, costs about $1,000, but is worth it. You don't come crashing down on your knees, and can very where you put the force when you pull it back. When I first got it, I watched some You-tube videos of professional rowers (in boats, skullers) to get the technique down. Depending on what hurts that day, I vary it. Some days it's mostly legs, somedays mostly arms. It can be a bicep work-out or back workout when the knees or hips hurt. Just start out pulling gently and increase the effort with the arms at the end.

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The problem I have with cardio is I get bored. I've done the treadmill (which sucks on the knees) and the rowing machine. The concept of just walking/running or rowing for 20 mins is just mind numbing. I have the earphones, but it's boring. I do go roller blading but that's going to get difficult here in a few weeks. I just want some magic pill that makes you buff with no effort. As I always say "I'd do anything for a great built.........except diet and exercise".

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
What I've done to protect my joints is stop using barbells. I've also stopped trying to get stronger and lift only for mainenance,
That's kind of where I'm at. Capt Jay, if I were you I wouldn't squat that much after knee surgery.
I started back last March after 15 or so years of life getting in the way. Nice gym, part of a rehab center next to the hospital and not far from my job. The wife was going there for physical therapy after a broken leg last year and said hey, it's a nice place and anyone can join. Mostly I do the machines although they have a nice setup on free weights. I don't get hung up on how much I can lift these days, I just do my sets and increase the weight very gradually. Had three Cortisone shots in my left shoulder already this year so that's something I have to work around. Flys, dumbell raises, and especially upright rows are out (that's why I needed the third shot, I did ONE upright row).
If I had BEEN in shape two years ago I wouldn't have fragged my shoulder in the first place.
Just for kicks I recently tried to bench press 200 lb for my 51st birthday, it went easier than I expected, so I did 205. I was pretty happy with that.
Back, abs, and legs I do 3 sets of 15. Upper body I do 3 sets of 10 and only 2 sets on flat bench as a warm-up. 3 sets of 10 on incline bench. I think it's bad to do more than 12-15 sets per body part. Take biceps, I do 3 sets of regular curls, 3 sets of seated hammer curls, but there's also 3 sets of rows and pulldowns, so that's 12 total.
I hate cardio with a passion so I do 5 min on the bike and 5 min on the arm bike for a warm-up and superset some of my exercises if I want to do cardio. My workout typically takes 2 to 2 1/2 hours and there are some ladies who will be on the treadmills and stairmasters the entire time I'm there. Most of them have gorgeous asses though, so I guess it works. :icon_surprised:

Last edited:

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I usually am doing 3 set of 10 reps on most of what I'm doing. I do exclusively machines with the exception of curls (the machine sucks). The only reason I'm doing heavy weights on squats is that I've always had skinny legs. Strong but skinny. I would like to have a little meat on them. Other than that I'd like to just be in better shape. Have a little more definition. A little less ponch and less stress on the knees.

I do wonder how much I can bench. I'll have to give it a shot today. I hope my wife can spot me. I don't even know what weight to start lifting, it's been so long.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I do exclusively machines with the exception of curls (the machine sucks)
Must be the same machine my gym has. :D
Anybody new comes in and gets on the curl or tricep machine, me or someone will tell them to forget it and go for the free weights.

det107

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh, poor me......I forgot................60.
Just wanted to post that the 'Lifeguards' at Jones Beach & Robert Moses State Park (Long Island,N.Y.) are 50+....
The secret is in the wintertime, they have core workouts so they can pass the exam demands of being a 'Lifeguard' & enable them to return to the lifestyle (sun, Surf, Rescues & especially Girl watching) they love, summer after summer-

doorgunner

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals