• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

WooooHoooo~ II - the sequel...lol

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Well the Dell is working away just great...was considering getting a laptop and a friend offered a reduced price on one...still over $200 though...

I met my business coach yesterday and he gave me his old Notebook...:yahoo:

All he asked was that I removed all his old files before I took it out of his office...that took me a bit more time than I figured and ended up getting a parking ticket...:annoyed:

But the ticket can be fought or paid for less than the cost of a used laptop/notebook...

It's not the fastest machine but it has everything...only problem was the IR wifi wouldn't pick up the home wifi network...fortunately, I was recently given (for services rendered) a fairly new D-Link wifi stick...took me about an hour of pharting around but I finally got the IR disabled and the stick installed and working...:icon_bounceblue:

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
Life is good ,now you will become a optimist???

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I'm usually optimistic...just impatient sometimes...but really glad people are so generous....and I don't mind giving things to people who need them when I have the opporunity...and lately there is plenty of opportunity...:icon_thumby:

scrapper

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
1975 302
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6+3
Tire Size
33/12.50/15
LOL!!! Your a good person.:icon_thumby:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Well the Dell is working away just great...was considering getting a laptop and a friend offered a reduced price on one...still over $200 though...

I met my business coach yesterday and he gave me his old Notebook...:yahoo:

All he asked was that I removed all his old files before I took it out of his office...that took me a bit more time than I figured and ended up getting a parking ticket...:annoyed:

But the ticket can be fought or paid for less than the cost of a used laptop/notebook...

It's not the fastest machine but it has everything...only problem was the IR wifi wouldn't pick up the home wifi network...fortunately, I was recently given (for services rendered) a fairly new D-Link wifi stick...took me about an hour of pharting around but I finally got the IR disabled and the stick installed and working...:icon_bounceblue:
WiFi isn't "IR" and from the fact that your computer does have IR (which is unobstructed line-of-sight) that you are healing with an HP or Compaq.

What model?

AD

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Yeah, the IR would be direct line of sight...and the home network I tag onto is using 802.1 N...couldn't find a wifi device in the Device Mangler so I just stuck the D-Link in and it found it OK...as long as I was closer to the router...

Not sure what model it is...I looked over the thing and the only ID I could find was the word NOTEBOOK on the lid...the fine print on the sticker didn't reveal what manufacturer either...I was going to check the DM to see if that gave any clues but I put it away and am using the desktop for these connections...let me have a look again...

Found only the serial number...and it is running the Intel pentium M processor at 1500..

will search on those specs...

Edit: OK...found it to be an Aopen 1555 notebook...with 1 Gig of RAM...and figured out the wifi...it was shut off...lol...but it actually worked better with the external D-Link...found some drivers that might help things...

Only thing I found so far is the tracker mouse is VERY sensitive...

Last edited:

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Typically you can adjust the mouse "speed" from the control panel in XP.

It's possible that someone reinstalled the OS and never installed the WiFi
driver, "stole" the internal WiFi card out of it, OR the WiFi card itself, which is in essence a radio transciever can simply DIE (They do that)

First thing to try is to press the windows "start" button, select "all programs"
from the Menu and then select "Windows Updates",

when Windows Updates loads choose "Custom" and pay attention to Optional Updates, particularly the "Hardware Updates".

If nothing is offered for a WiFi card or "WLAN" then either it isn't installed
(or has been removed) or it's dead.

If you look under the access panels on the back you might be able to find the
socket where it is supposed to be.

If you post a picture of that Socket I can probably send you an Internal WiFi card that'll work. I have a small collection of internal WiFi cards that are basically useless to me

AD

Yeah, the IR would be direct line of sight...and the home network I tag onto is using 802.1 N...couldn't find a wifi device in the Device Mangler so I just stuck the D-Link in and it found it OK...as long as I was closer to the router...

Not sure what model it is...I looked over the thing and the only ID I could find was the word NOTEBOOK on the lid...the fine print on the sticker didn't reveal what manufacturer either...I was going to check the DM to see if that gave any clues but I put it away and am using the desktop for these connections...let me have a look again...

Found only the serial number...and it is running the Intel pentium M processor at 1500..

will search on those specs...

Edit: OK...found it to be an Aopen 1555 notebook...with 1 Gig of RAM...and figured out the wifi...it was shut off...lol...but it actually worked better with the external D-Link...found some drivers that might help things...

Only thing I found so far is the tracker mouse is VERY sensitive...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
thanks Allan...I found the wifi card...forgot that it had to be activated by a button beside the keyboard...so it does actually work...it says it's pcmcia but I didn't see one that was removable...there is something that seems to be stuck with a button to eject it but it doesn't want to come out...

I had to buy more ram for the GX520 so it now has 2 gigs and works much better...just a few more tweaks and it should be a good home unit...I've checked the specs on it and it can take up to 4 gigs of ram...that's why I bought a single 2 gig stick...so if I want to upgrade it can be done without too much effort...

It actually was a stick of CL5 800 Mhz that is designed for newer mobos...so it can migrate if I happen to find another unit that needs RAM...gonna go check to see what computers to look for in the event I need to upgrade again in the near future...

No sure where the ram technology has topped out at right now...probably ddr16...lol...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals