• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wont start, just a rapid fire clicking

red93terror

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
My 93 3.0 wont start, when i turn the key it just goes click click click in a very rapid progression. battery has full charge, and i even tried jumping it off with another car, nothing. it ran fine a couple days ago, but the very next time i got this. it couldnt be seized right? it would have seized while running right? its full of oil. wtf?:dunno:

Bajabronco

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'98
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not seized, the starter simply isn't getting enough power, if the battery is good i would clean your battery terminals and cable ends thoroughly with a wire brush and check your grounds.

red93terror

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
nah i tried that. its really about to p*ss me off. i just got the thing back on the road and now this bull crap

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
nah i tried that. its really about to p*ss me off. i just got the thing back on the road and now this bull crap
How old is the battery? Do you have a voltage meter? Another thing, really voltage is not the important measurement, AMPS is. A battery can have plenty of voltage, but not enough amperage to kick the starter over. Only way to tell is take the battery to a nearby Pep Boys, Auto Zone, etc., and have them check it.

I have had batterys in the past that showed proper voltage, but were still weak in amperage. The clicking solenoid is either talking to a bad solenoid, or low amperage. Especially when the temperatures start getting colder, batterys all of the sudden show weakness they may not have shown a week earlier.

Or your motor is seized! You would have had some clue that was going to happen. Nine-times-out-of-ten, it will seize while running (aka Camshaft Position Synchronizer going bad). Not likely to be the problem now.

red93terror

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
i tried jumping it off. maybe the solenoid?

Last edited:

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Put your truck in park, with the key in the 'run' position.
Go under the hood, look for the solenoid on your inner fender, looks like this:

Grab a clevis pin or a screwdriver and jump it across the two terminals. If it is the solenoid, it will still not turn over. That's AFTER you get your battery tested.

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
if the engine was seized, it would just make one big chucking sound.

the rapid click means battery, terminals, or the ground at the starter.

does the engine leak oil? if it does is the starter saturated?

starters can fail due to something called heat soak... this is accelerated by oil soaked windings in the motor.

the reason the solenoid is clicking is because of a low amperage condition. any of these above conditions may exist

:icon_thumby: :icon_thumby: :icon_thumby:

rob

red93terror

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
so, even if i tried to jump it, if the battery is bad, then it could still do this? I dont think it leaks oil, but im gonna try to replace my - terminal. the + broke a month ago, and this one may be about to

evanesce69

GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
yes, it could.

and i'd check the terminal again that you said was about to break.

i have a 93 and a 3.0L i am wondering why the terminal broke. i know there isn't much slack there, but i have never had that problem.

is your battery tied down, does it have a spacer under it, i doubt it would though.

Last edited:

red93terror

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
just old lead terminals.

red93terror

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
yea dont test the solenoid with a wire hanger guys. that lit my world up. i think im giving up for tonight. that sucked

countryboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
thx man you mad me lol i almost spit out my mr.pibb

red93terror

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
dude i thought dc couldnt shock you. tell that to my tingling hands. my chest hair even stood up

Last edited:

Nater

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
WOW! LOL! Got lit up helping my dad install a home Air conditioner when I was younger...talk about a little tingle.... :p

I had this problem on my mustang before. I am not familiar with the starter on the 3.0, but the following fixed my problem.....There should be 2 wires going to the starter. One Constant power (the thicker one) and the switched power (the thinner one). The problem I had on my starter is that the thinner one had backed off to the point that it was barely making a connection. Pull it commpletely off and check the flat spade that it connects on, and make sure that it is not corroded or anything. Then check the thinner wire's connector and make sure it is also not corroded or bent. Reseat it fully to the point that it should feel a little click as it fully seats....then retry to start.

Found this out by accident when I started the car, drove it around a corner (less then 8 feet), then couldn't start it with the same exact symptoms you describe.

red93terror

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
7.3 turbo
Transmission
Manual
ill try that tomorrow. and theres no way i can compare that little bite to what a home ac unit is putting out. DANG! you probly still twitch once in a while huh? i dont mess around with electricity. personally id rather kick a brahma bull in the grapes
and take my chances

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals