• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Won't move!

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ok today I was driving my dad's 84 Bronco 2 4x4 2.8L V6 Toyo Koygo 5 speed manual transmission and I backed up and made the wrong turn. I pulled back up and backed up again the right way. But right before I pulled back up the rear end started acting almost like it was locking up but it still would move just had to give it alot more gas and less clutch. Then when backing up I got maybe 10-12 feet and it just dead stopped. I tried every gear 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and OD even Reverse. I put it in 4 wheel drive both High and low and checked all the gears and nothing moved (yes hubs were locked). Because it wouldn't move with the it in 4wheel drive I figure the rear end must not be the problem. But my dad says the clutch was going out so I think it may be the clutch but not sure. I was able to put it in neutral and get it back up front. What do you all think it may be?
Trav

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Try disconnecting the driveshaft from the rear and see if you can get the rear wheels turning [wheels off the ground]. That should let you know if the rear is the problem.

Richard

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I tried putting it in 4x4 though me and my dad both say we ought to have been able to at least limp it around being the front end would be working correct??? I am not sure. My dad wasn't here though so he doesn't know everything that happened and I can't explain the rear end how it was acting well enough to him. He also tried moving the truck after bringing it up here it is like it is in free spin.
Trav

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When in 4x4; If the rear is locked that will hold everything from turning, the drivetrain is all connected thru the transfer case.

Richard

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
ok so if i jack up the truck and disconect the drive shaft and put it in 4x4 and the front end turns then it could possibly be my rear end correct? If it is that then I can get this thing going faster as I have a parts B2. I just need some tips on how to check if the rear end went. Also one more thing the rear end has been making a scrapping noise for a while now.
Trav

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Be careful that no tires are touching the ground if you start it up and put it in drive!!! Nah, you wouldn't do that anyway, right? [jk]
I'm no expert but if you have the driveshaft off the rear and it's somehow jammed so that the wheels won't turn then that would be the problem....as long as the e-brake isn't on.
It may be that the scraping noise was the brakes deciding to fall apart. I've seen brake parts so rusted that they fell apart and jammed the rear from turning easily. It's a hell of a job getting the drums off if that's the case.

Last edited:

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Ohh I know to be careful. I am gonna try and jack up the rear end disconnect the driveshaft and turn it and if it turns then it should be good. There is no emergency/parking brake in the truck so I know that can't be the problem. The last owners took the E brake out no idea why. Thanks for your help I greatly appreciate it this Bronco is alot cheaper then our 86 F150 4x4 302 to drive so I kinda want the thing runnning again.
Trav

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I edited my post while you were responding.

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
you know the brakes have been bad also on the truck but the fronts are brand new. So your second suggestion may very well be the problem will ask my dad to see what he thinks. Won't be able to do troubleshooting for a few days.
Trav

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Had my buddy check out the Bronco 2 while I was busy taking parts off my parts Bronco 2 and he said it is the clutch for sure. I trust him he is a certified transmission mechanic so I know that I can trust him if it ends up not being that gotta get on him. Haha just joking. Thanks for your suggestions AlwaysFord. Got more questions I will be asking soon enough me and my dad are thinking about doing a D35 front end and a Duraspark conversion and need to find somethings out. I can maybe ask right now and if you don't know I can open a new thread.

What I am wondering is what years can I get a dana 35 axle and what is the requirments to put it in?

For the duraspark conversion what is it exactly and how much is it? Trying to keep this a cheap trail truck but doing small mods will be nice.
Trav

Brownie Mobile

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

redneckfordf2502002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L V6 4.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
thanks brownie. How much work is it to do a 35 conversion it looks complicated and expensive which I am staying away from on this truck. Also one question where could I get a billet grille for a Bronco 2.
Trav

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals