• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wondering if you gurus can help?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.

JMar88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4 inch suspension
Tire Size
Thank you all for the knowledge! I will try all of this on the weekend. And will keep you guys updated. The truck on my sticker is the actual truck next to my username. I also put a 4inch suspension lift on it cause the one it had was pretty beat up.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
It might also be worth pulling the vaccuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator to see if there is fuel in it. Which means a s bad regulator.

I bought the EEC IV (obd 1) code reader. Its eaiser then doing it the other way and imo worth the 30 bucks.

Check the EGR passage in the plenium, mine did this and the passage was so plugged i had to hammer the carbon out with an old briggs headbolt.

JMar88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4 inch suspension
Tire Size
It might also be worth pulling the vaccuum hose off the fuel pressure regulator to see if there is fuel in it. Which means a s bad regulator.

I bought the EEC IV (obd 1) code reader. Its eaiser then doing it the other way and imo worth the 30 bucks.

Check the EGR passage in the plenium, mine did this and the passage was so plugged i had to hammer the carbon out with an old briggs headbolt.
Thanks man appreciate it!

JMar88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4 inch suspension
Tire Size

I'm not sure if mine has an EGR I think from 80 to 88 didn't have one but I'll check.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm not sure if mine has an EGR I think from 80 to 88 didn't have one but I'll check.
Most likely dies not. Egr was supposed to go away on 2.9 in 87. But, old truck, so who knows what's been swapped in/out

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
You found the perfect forum for your 2.9 needs. We have guys that are very knowledgeable on making the thing work and upgrade it to run better. I'll be nice and save the ribbing for another time.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

JMar88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4 inch suspension
Tire Size
You found the perfect forum for your 2.9 needs. We have guys that are very knowledgeable on making the thing work and upgrade it to run better. I'll be nice and save the ribbing for another time.
Sounds good appreciate it. Everyone has been awesome since joining yesterday lol!! Its not my daily driver but it's my little big project and want to revive it and get it looking nice!

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
They're goofy little engines, but can be built to be a reasonably stout V6 (considering its age).

When I joined in 2018, most people would post nothing but, "Put a 4.0 in it." Which, is the exact wrong thing to do lol. TRS has come a long way in re-accepting the 2.9 as part of the RBV lineup. I think its because mine will practically rip the crank out of a 4.0. ;brownbag;

Don't let me misguide you, though. 4.0 OHV is a good motor in its own right, but has RPM redline issues, glass heads (much like the 86 TM 2.9 heads - both crack once overheated), oiling issues, difficult to modify, etc etc etc. They will produce gobs of low end torque if built up and are very similar in design to the Y Block engine's torque curves. Just don't ask it to go over 5,000 rpm.

The 2.9 is a strange animal - broad, flat torque curve on an engine that LOVES to rev. With intake, head, and exhaust modifications, they come on like a lightswitch and scream their lungs out at 5500 - 6000 RPM. With a little work to the rods and pistons, they're perfectly content to run to 7,000 rpm. The hardest part of owning anything powered by a 2.9 is learning how to drive it - they like to rev. Let them rev.

I fell into them by total accident. They're a hobby of sorts now (especially the 2.9l). There are MANY modifications that you can make to them to juice more power back out of them, or make them run like they do in their Euro cousins. I'd recommend a few once yours is up and running the right way.

Ignore the 2.8 on the trunk lid. Car was most certainly engine swapped. But, I'd consider a 468 rwhp V6 (thats only 2935 cc's) quite stout for a 30+ year old engine design.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Oh boy. He’s ^^^ on a roll now. He’ll never stop.

JMar88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
4 inch suspension
Tire Size
I appreciate it man great knowledge. I'm gonna hook this bitch up lol!!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Sounds good appreciate it. Everyone has been awesome since joining yesterday lol!! Its not my daily driver but it's my little big project and want to revive it and get it looking nice!
All ribbing aside. As you read through the forum, most of the engines put in the Rangers have their Achilles heel and draw backs that need to be attended to or one needs to be made aware of. Even my 2011 SOHC still requires all kinds of expensive, special tools if the chain guides bite it. A lot of the 4.0 SOHC issues had been fixed by then but the basic design is still there.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I appreciate it man great knowledge. I'm gonna hook this bitch up lol!!
Heres what i learned about the 2.9...

Unlike @PetroleumJunkie412 mine always stayed stock, but they are kinda like the nerdy girl in highschool, they always get overlooked but given the chance and treated correctly they will treat you good and rock your world.

Ive always done "truck stuff" with my 2.9s, hauling, pulling, alot of stuff a ranger never shoulda done, and while they arnt a flat out stump puller like a 300 inline, they are suprinsgly capable given their displacement.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals