• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

wiring harness

notaprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know where I can find a wiring harness for a `94 ranger 4.0. I have been to three salvage yards, eBay, rockauto, ford dealership, and no luck. It is the harness that plugs into the computer under the hood.

The problem is that I have a bad miss and sometimes it gets so bad that the truck won`t go over 15 mph. I took it to 3 shops and got different diagnosis and one day I came across the problem area by unbolting the harness and cleaning it and that fixed it for a couple of months. I got into a routine of taking it off and cleaning the contacts every time the truck would start to miss and it has worked until recently. Now it does it once a week and it is getting annoying.

I don`t know which pin is getting a bad contact so I clean and put electrical grease in all of the terminals. Should I take it to someone that would fix the terminals or find a replacement or what? Any help will be appreciated. :D

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
With a 94 you'll have to be more specific.
Federal or California emissions standards?

If your sticker is gone, you can easily tell.
With CA emissions, it will have an EGR valve on the driver's side of the engine.

CA has 7 wires for the injectors, for sequential fuel injection. Fires injectors all separately.

Fed had 3 wires for the injectors, for batch-fire fuel injection. Fires 3 injectors at a time.

blk93notch

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
I have a harness and ECM for a 93 4.0 auto for sale. It had egr. If it will work let me know

notaprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The computer is HAG0 and it does not have a egr valve. Would the harness have any kind of number on it?

I have a harness and ECM for a 93 4.0 auto for sale. It had egr. If it will work let me know
If I knew for sure the harness would work with my computer, I will be all about it! Hopefully I can find out before you sell it.

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
The 93 harness and the 94 Federal harness are the same. Actually the only to ways to get that specific harness.

Transmission doesn't matter, it's another harness.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Painless Wiring might be able to hook you up.

notaprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The 93 harness and the 94 Federal harness are the same. Actually the only to ways to get that specific harness.

so I can use that harness and not use the wires for the egr valve and the other pins will match up?

UrbanRedneckKid

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ooo... Dunno. That's a good question.

AllanD might be able to answer that.

*assuming your planning on swapping the engine harness, injector harness, and ecu...

notaprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

A new idea

I know a guy who has a 94 4.0 ranger with no egr valve(so far same as mine) as a parts truck but his is 2x4 automatic with cruise control (mine is 5speed 4x4). I counted all of the quick connectors and I came up with the same number as my truck and they look the same. The question is: Would it work if I took his harness and ecu and installed it in my truck?

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
How would I be able to look up how to repair the harness?
Painless sells whole harnesses. If you want to attempt repairs to your existing harness, you pretty much need to know which pin is the problem, then take the female end out of it's hardshell and pinch it down a bit so that it keeps it's contact.

A new idea

I know a guy who has a 94 4.0 ranger with no egr valve(so far same as mine) as a parts truck but his is 2x4 automatic with cruise control (mine is 5speed 4x4). I counted all of the quick connectors and I came up with the same number as my truck and they look the same. The question is: Would it work if I took his harness and ecu and put it in my truck?
Yes, this will work. The trans harness is a different branch that plugs into the engine harness up by the power steering pump and it doesn't matter if it is 4x2 or 4x4 (this is the number of wheels on the car by the number than can put power to the road so a 2wd is a 4x2 while a 2x4 is a piece of lumber). The 4x4 stuff, is part of the body harness, and you might need to put two or three pins from your existing engine bay harness into the new one for the 4x4 telltales.

notaprob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yes, this will work. The trans harness is a different branch that plugs into the engine harness up by the power steering pump and it doesn't matter if it is 4x2 or 4x4 (this is the number of wheels on the car by the number than can put power to the road so a 2wd is a 4x2 while a 2x4 is a piece of lumber). The 4x4 stuff, is part of the body harness, and you might need to put two or three pins from your existing engine bay harness into the new one for the 4x4 telltales.

Thanks for the help! I replaced the harness and ecu and I just got back from 20 mile test drive and it has never ran better. While I was removing the wiring harness, I discovered that the bracket that holds the battery rubbed a hole and grounded out 3 wires in the harness. I`m guessing that was my real problem but the newer harness and ecu works just fine. The 4x4 lights on the dash still work if that is what you meant by "4x4 telltales."
As for the 2x4 thing, I know it is actually 4x2 but I`m a carpenter and I wrote it by habit:)

Last edited:

adsm08

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
As for the 2x4 thing, I know it is actually 4x2 but I`m a carpenter and I wrote it by habit:)
Haha, ok. I am pretty sure that I was an English teacher in a previous life, because I have this obsessive compulsion to correct improper grammar.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals