• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Wiring harness problems. Possibly needing new?

DadsallWright2020

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4X4
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inch body lift
Hi all, I posted a few weeks ago about starting a new project on a 1985 Ranger 4x4 2.3L that my great grandfather owned. It has been sitting for 8 years, but before it was parked a young (20 year old) friend of the family was using it as a farm truck. He did some damage to the wiring harness after the firewall in the engine bay. There are connectors cut off, wires cut in two, sensors pulled off and cut, so I’m stuck in a situation where I don’t know if I should just scrap that wiring harness and start over or try and repair and crimp the old connections back together. I can post pictures if anyone thinks they can give some insight. Thanks!

Addition: Also, If the decision is made to just start over with a different wiring harness, I would love to be pointed in the right direction to possibly find one from a donor. Again, thanks and I look forward to hearing from you all!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There probably won't be a pristine wiring harness for a 1985 anything and the wires would be 35 years old and wouldn't "like" being bent around to install them in any case

Better "the devil you know", i.e. what you got now

You want to buy a 1985 Ford Ranger EVTM(electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual)

Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Ford-Ranger-and-Bronco-II-Electrical-Troubleshooting-Manual-Original-OEM-85-/401451639688

It list ALL the wires and their colors, for each of the 1985 Ranger sub-models
This was part of the Shop manual set Ford sends out to all their service departments every model year for every model vehicle

The matching connectors for sensors and controls on the engine might be found at wrecking yards or ??
In some cases new connectors with leads attached are available although you would have to match your 1985 wire colors to them

Which is why the EVTM is so useful

Does the engine start and run now?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
With a truck that old, it might be better to try to repair the harness you have over finding one of questionable condition and trying to make that work unless you need plugs and lengths of matching wire to make a repair. If you decide to repair, take your time and do it right. Solder the wires together and heat shrink all the connections to seal the moisture out. Butt joints and electrical tape by themselves is not going to cut it in the long term. You might also want to look at some replacement wire loom to protect the wires after you are done with the repairs and wrap the heck out of that with electrical tape and zip ties to secure the ends of the tape.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
^^^ That's the best advice you can get. An EVTM, for just under $23.00 shipped to your door, will be the best purchase you'll ever make for the truck.

The only thing that I can add, is to at least look around the boneyards, just in case you can find a same year / same motor truck with decent harnesses for a decent price. Doesn't hurt to look; you might luck out and find a harness better than yours, or at the least having a second harness is handy for a reference, and especially for spare parts.

DadsallWright2020

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4X4
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inch body lift
There probably won't be a pristine wiring harness for a 1985 anything and the wires would be 35 years old and wouldn't "like" being bent around to install them in any case

Better "the devil you know", i.e. what you got now

You want to buy a 1985 Ford Ranger EVTM(electrical and vacuum troubleshooting manual)

Like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1985-Ford-Ranger-and-Bronco-II-Electrical-Troubleshooting-Manual-Original-OEM-85-/401451639688

It list ALL the wires and their colors, for each of the 1985 Ranger sub-models
This was part of the Shop manual set Ford sends out to all their service departments every model year for every model vehicle

The matching connectors for sensors and controls on the engine might be found at wrecking yards or ??
In some cases new connectors with leads attached are available although you would have to match your 1985 wire colors to them

Which is why the EVTM is so useful

Does the engine start and run now?
The truck doesn't currently run. I got a new battery and went ahead and hooked it up to see if i had any power in the instrument panel or and kind of signs of life, but I got nothing. So, I'm basically starting from scratch. Thanks for the link to the manual. I ordered one today!

DadsallWright2020

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4X4
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inch body lift
With a truck that old, it might be better to try to repair the harness you have over finding one of questionable condition and trying to make that work unless you need plugs and lengths of matching wire to make a repair. If you decide to repair, take your time and do it right. Solder the wires together and heat shrink all the connections to seal the moisture out. Butt joints and electrical tape by themselves is not going to cut it in the long term. You might also want to look at some replacement wire loom to protect the wires after you are done with the repairs and wrap the heck out of that with electrical tape and zip ties to secure the ends of the tape.
I went today and bought an assortment of crimps and fittings for the connections. Thanks for the advice!

DadsallWright2020

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4X4
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3 Inch body lift
^^^ That's the best advice you can get. An EVTM, for just under $23.00 shipped to your door, will be the best purchase you'll ever make for the truck.

The only thing that I can add, is to at least look around the boneyards, just in case you can find a same year / same motor truck with decent harnesses for a decent price. Doesn't hurt to look; you might luck out and find a harness better than yours, or at the least having a second harness is handy for a reference, and especially for spare parts.
I called 6 local junkyards on Saturday to no avail. I never realized just how difficult these trucks are to find. I know of one sitting as a yard ornament just a few miles away that I pass every day to and from work. I'm going to have to stop in and see if its a match.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
Sadly these first generation Rangers aren't as common anymore, in junkyards or as running, driven trucks. Yours looks restorable, and you have a family connection to boot.

Your first hurdle is restoring battery power, as in first to the ignition switch and to the light switch. A Ranger that vintage will have fusible links protecting the power feeds. These are bad about corroding and failing, and on yours you're also dealing with hacked wiring harnesses, so burnt-out fusible(s) are also possible.

If I may offer you some suggestions.
> Let your EVTM arrive (good move getting one!) and study the power distribution section, comparing it what you see in the truck. Remember that grounds are just as important as the power side, too.
> Check the fuse box, and make sure that there's no "bubba fuses"; no foil wrapped around blown fuses, no jumper wires in place of fuses.
> Tape up any bare exposed wires that you see.
>>> When you do connect the battery to the truck, for test tracing the power circuits, it is well worth it to use a circuit breaker or in-line fuse "just in case". I use a 20 amp circuit breaker made for this purpose, that has short wire leads with insulated alligator clips. You place it between the battery positive post and the positive battery cable end. Sometimes a fusible link will get "repaired" by eliminating it, and reconnecting the wire directly to the power source; a testing breaker can save you from a melted wiring harness if there's an unprotected short.

Good on you for trying to save this truck, and I wish you good luck. Don't hesitate to ask if you have questions.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals