• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Windshield Replacement and Camera Recalibration

Cobrablues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Lariat
Transmission
Automatic
I would think there is probably a thread for this topic but search didn't come up with anything. I have a new 2020 Lariat which got a cracked windshield. Only $50. deductible on my insurance with USAA at Safelite. I made an appointment and was told I would need the forward camera recalibrated. When I get there, they said they couldn't do it because I had aftermarket lift, wheels and tires. All these upgrades were part of my purchase from the dealer. My dealership doesn't have the equipment so I called another one. $130.00 because the wheels and tires are not stock. I did see a thread on another forum and the responses were that if the camera, which is behind the windshield, wasn't moved, I wouldn't need it. The cost was about the same. Irritating. So I am having Saflite come to me this next week. I am thinking of driving it after installation to see if anything is different. The camera has certainly has been working fine before the crack. Anyone have any experience with this?

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
I had a crack chip repaired by a local guy, Aaron, we've used for years. I asked him about this very subject because I've heard it can be a mess.

Aaron said he has been certified to do the recalibration. Seems like he said it was more than 10 grand. He mentioned he had to modify his shop and there are "targets" on the wall they use to do the calibration, and different manufacturers have different recalibration specifications. That's no doubt why they have an issue with the lifted nature of your truck. Think about the adaptive cruise control, lane monitoring etc. and where it is "looking" and how the height of the truck would affect it.

I have an XL, no adaptive cruise, no lane monitoring, etc. But it does have collision alert. He said for my truck the recalibration involves driving the truck for about half an hour. None of the target stuff is needed.

On a side issue:
  • The original Ford Ranger windshield has text the reads "Ranger". It's located in the center of the windshield, at the very bottom. Does your new windshield have that?

Last edited:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
The selling dealer can certainly do it as any of the modifications you said were part of that purchase would have required the calibration.

It isn't hard on a Ford, you just need the right software. The scanner triggers the module to go into "training" mode, then you drive until it says it is happy. I have a spot near my shop that I can usually have it trained in 2.5 miles, but road surface and roadside features like signs and trees all have an effect on how long it takes.

Cobrablues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Lariat
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the responses. I haven't had the windshield replaced yet. When I went to Safelite on Friday they said they didn't have the OEM windshield but could order it and get it quickly. So I opted to have them come to my house instead of driving down to them like last time. If they don't bring the OEM, then I am not out a trip. The dealership that I bought it from use a local off road company to do the lift and mods. So I am thinking the truck worked flawlessly when I got it. I suppose it adapted to the lift. When I told the dealership that Safelite couldn't do it, he thought it odd that they could do it with stock wheels. Also another Ford dealer that can do it said he would have to charge me since the wheels/tires were aftermarket. Anyway, I appreciate the input and will report back when all is said and done. I do believe the original dealer would have done it for me if they had the machine.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
The dealership really shouldn't sell a truck with upgrades that makes them incapable of servicing it...

Kylisdad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger supercab
Transmission
Automatic
Safelight is coming tomorrow to change my windshield (2020 XLT 4X4).. We'll see how it goes..

Cobrablues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Lariat
Transmission
Automatic
Safelite is coming this morning to replace the window. If they can't calibrate it I will go to the dealership. I will let you know. We certainly give them a lot of business through USAA so it seems they should be able to calibrate my camera. I will report back.

Cobrablues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Lariat
Transmission
Automatic
Safelite didn't bring the proper windshield, yet again. Not only does the OEM have Ranger stamped on it, there is also a small stamp on the lower right side that says SoundScreen. This is a layer in the windshield that creates a sound barrier that make your drive quieter. I would not have known this had the tech not shown it to me. So now I am waiting again. OEM means OEM. WTF? I am only paying $50. deductible. No more. So I do not care what the insurance pays. Good thing it is only the far side from me, so I don't have to look at it driving. My past experience with Safelite has been very good.

Cobrablues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Lariat
Transmission
Automatic
Ok. So Safelite called me last week and said the OEM windshield would be in Tuesday and they could come to my house and install it Thursday afternoon. We shall see. I will report back.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I'm sure there are going to be quite a number of interested parties in how things work out for you.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Can't you just tell the truck to mind it's own dang business and let you worry about looking at the road? If you wanna weave in and out of lanes that's your god given right as an American and no dang camera should be telling you otherwise! FIGHT THE POWER!

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it
My windshield cracked and when I went back to dealer they installed it for free under warranty. It already had an aftermarket level kit on 32" tires and they didn't question it at all. But it was due to an install done improperly. water got underneath and froze causing the crack. Maybe that was the reason.

Cobrablues

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Lariat
Transmission
Automatic
Well. My windshield is still not replaced. The day they were to come out I received a call saying they ordered 3 OEM windshields for myself and two other unfortunate souls that all arrived broken. Hmmmm. Oh well. Back to the waiting. Sounds like a Tom Petty song. I will report back.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Well. My windshield is still not replaced. The day they were to come out I received a call saying they ordered 3 OEM windshields for myself and two other unfortunate souls that all arrived broken. Hmmmm. Oh well. Back to the waiting. Sounds like a Tom Petty song. I will report back.
I'd advise you to never play the lottery. You seem to have no luck whatsoever.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'd advise you to never play the lottery. You seem to have no luck whatsoever.
Maybe he is saving all his luck up for that big win?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals