• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which truck would you keep

larscot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Xlt
Transmission
Manual
Which one is most useful to you? Do you need the power of the V6 for hauling or will the 2.3 work just as well?
I do dump runs, no trailer pulling, although I'm giving it thought. I think the 97 w/3.0 engine has a gvwr of less than 2000 lbs, not a plus.

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
My preference would be the '97. But not by much. I'm all for giving the kid his choice.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I do dump runs, no trailer pulling. I think the 97 w/3.0 engine has a gvwr of less than 2000 lbs, not a plus.
If it had a GVWR of less then 2k itd be overloaded just sitting there.

My 87 has a GVWR of like 4600 or something. Either way itll handle alot more then you think. The 3.0 is pretty gutless compared to other EFI RBV V6s but its somewhat better then a 4.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I say got with the 97. You know when to add oil and are used to doing it. You can add a pair of $30 helper springs for those occasional dump runs. (I threw a set on and they are wonderful for the 2-3 times a year I load up to 1,400 pounds total payload. 1,200 in the bed, 200 in the drivers seat.)

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I have a set of coil helpers that mount between the axle housing & frame, works great. Ive used this setup on every ranger Ive had and on the ranger trailer as well. Changing your rear gear ratio will help as well, I went from 3.45’s to 4.10’s and its well worth it, I bought a whole assembly from a junkyard, replaced seals, wheel cyls, brake shoes, springs & lines. If youre real lucky you could even upgrade to a 8.8 from a 7.5 and get 10” drums instead of 9”. I wasnt that lucky but both axles are of the same weight carrying capacity so its still worth it.

larscot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Xlt
Transmission
Manual
If it had a GVWR of less then 2k itd be overloaded just sitting there.

My 87 has a GVWR of like 4600 or something. Either way itll handle alot more then you think. The 3.0 is pretty gutless compared to other EFI RBV V6s but its somewhat better then a 4.
Yeah you're right I was talking out my ass on that number. What I meant to imply was that I think it will tow @ 2,000 lbs. I was just now thinking of towing, using the 3.0 to pull a teardrop trailer, nothing huge. Still the teardrops can get a little over 2k loaded up, but my gut tells me yeah, the 3.0 would be doggy but it would do it. I'd just manage my expectations on the drive...foolish assumption? I like the idea of using it for weekend camps, but I may be asking for more than it could deliver...Thoughts?

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Yeah you're right I was talking out my ass on that number. What I meant to imply was that I think it will tow @ 2,000 lbs. I was just now thinking of towing, using the 3.0 to pull a teardrop trailer, nothing huge. Still the teardrops can get a little over 2k loaded up, but my gut tells me yeah, the 3.0 would be doggy but it would do it. I'd just manage my expectations on the drive...foolish assumption? I like the idea of using it for weekend camps, but I may be asking for more than it could deliver...Thoughts?
Make sure you got good trailer brakes, a trans cooler, and a frame mounted reese style hitch i wouldnt think twice.

larscot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Xlt
Transmission
Manual
The Decision: I kept the 97: The extended cab and the older truck mojo it has just won out. Son #1 gets the 2006. Goddam, I'll miss it, but it stays in the family, along with my 2000 2.5 XL that son #3 now has.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks for letting us know. 👍

Locotomb

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 1986
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6inch custom fab lift/86
Total Drop
Bagged 3 inch custom drop beams 88/89 Custom triangulated and step notched rear
Tire Size
35/12.5/r18
My credo
Everything looks better lower
You made the right choice. The 97 looks really clean and nice. Plus, kids just think newer means better. And it's a four-cylinder. Granted its a newer four-cylinder. It'll keep him out of trouble.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals