• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which PCM do I need?

94Reborn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a Ranger that I just swapped a 1992 4.0 explorer engine into. I used a 1994 ranger 4.0 engine wiring harness, power management harness, and pcm. The truck runs, and actually runs pretty well, but the check engine light was on. I ran codes, and the codes are 15- KAM power interruption/ memory failure. And 71- which was some pcm code but my book says its for cars only.

My guess is that pcm is either bad, or because its from a 94 which should have 2 o2's and sequential injector firing, the computer just knows it doesn't belong. The weird thing is, I don't have a code for the o2 sensor, or any other codes indicating improper running conditions. Which leads me to believe the pcm is actually faulty. The pcm cal code is HAG0.

I think I want to go with a 92 explorer harness because I believe that year was still no egr, and only one o2 sensor, or a 93 explorer pcm if I install the other o2 as well right? And are both the 92 and 93 explorers MAF?

My main question though is can I still use the 94 ranger 4.0 wiring with the older 92-93 computer or will there be wiring issues? I've heard the injector harness is different for the 94 models? I'm getting slightly overwhelmed!

94Reborn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok, so heres an update. I found that my 94 harness and pcm were NOT sequential firing injection. In 94 only the cali rangers were SFI, so mine was batch which means I can retain the wiring harness. I went to the junkyard and found a 91 Ranger STX 4.0 with manual trans and took the pcm from that. It was a MAF, single o2 sensor, no egr truck, so it should be fairly close to matched for my 92 explorer engine. It started up and ran, but threw a check engine light. Luckily it wasn't anther pcm code, but a 66- MAF voltage low code. If I mess with it and plug and unplug it a few times it will work for a few seconds and the light will go off, but then it will come back. I checked the voltages and I think they're right... so I think I need a new MAF. But now what MAF do I need? Should I go with a 91 ranger, 92 explorer, or 94 ranger sensor?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals